15 years on - who's been our best player since the turn of the millennium?

Duracell

Who's been our best player since the year 200?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Its out of Martin, Idiakez and Tommy Smith for me. Smith will always be one of my favourite Derby players. Idiakez just oozed class at championship level and Martin was a free transfer for starters, so when you look at the goals he's scored and the way he plays, it makes that price tag even more unbelievable. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We've had some great players since the turn of the millennium but for me Chris Martin.

Cost nothing, gives everything, became the twenty goals a season striker we'd been searching for and I love his wardrobe.

Depressingly, in these entire 15 years, only a handful of players have left us to regularly play at a higher level - Huddlestone and Osman are the only two who have really established themselves as top-flight players. Which either means that most of the hundreds of players we've signed in these 16 seasons have either been not good enough to start with, or we made them worse.

But who's the best player since the year 2000? Which one player sums up the best memories we've had since then, the days when you went home thinking that this might be our year where we get given the privilege of a relegation scrap in the top flight?

One rule only - the player has to have played for us at least a dozen times.

I'd argue this.

Delap, Riggott, Carsley, Commons, Higginbotham, Dailly, possibly Dave Jones, ...er that's it really... yeah,, they all had top flight careers after Derby.

For me Chris Martin is the man.

Eranio was only here for one year of the new millennium. I know he was a fantastic player but the best since 2000? Don't think so.

Genuine question, did you see him play?

having watched Derby for over 30 years, he was without doubt one of the most gifted footballers I have seen in the Rams shirt.

having watched Derby for over 30 years, he was without doubt one of the most gifted footballers I have seen in the Rams shirt.

He makes a good point though. This is specifically for 2000 onwards. 97-00 Eranio is easily one of our best players ever, but by the final year here he was slowing down and quite often asked to fill in at wing back

Not live, but I have seen his performances yeah and I remember when he did play here. He was exceptional, but do you think he did enough in that final year at Derby to say THAT alone makes him the best player since the new millennium? Forget absolutely everything prior to 1st January 2000, is Eranio still the best based on those games alone since the new millennium? On the measure of his whole time here, absolutely a top player and deservedly in our all time XI, but that's not the question.

Archived