15 years on - who's been our best player since the turn of the millennium?

Duracell

Who's been our best player since the year 200?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eranio was a genuine class act but as someone said he played his best football for us in the 90s. Idiakez for me was unplayable. Took over games and bossed them at this level. Fantastic player. Leon Osman was special that loan spell as well. Kept us up on his own.

He was good, but that goal celebration still hurts me.

I had a minor issue on Twitter with Owen Bradley about this. He said Poom didn't celebrate. I was there and he really did! 

Yeah, I argued that tweet aswell. At the time I sat 4 rows up in the East Stand... and he definitely ran the length of the sideline celebrating.

You are both wrong. Raised his arms in front of the North Stand and ran back up the pitch with his head down pushing his team mates away.

I'd argue this.

Delap, Riggott, Carsley, Commons, Higginbotham, Dailly, possibly Dave Jones, ...er that's it really... yeah,, they all had top flight careers after Derby.

For me Chris Martin is the man.

Poom went to Arsenal, that has to be playing at a higher level, Shirley?

You are both wrong. Raised his arms in front of the North Stand and ran back up the pitch with his head down pushing his team mates away.

I hate you. And I can understand why the Over 50's housing people think you may be interested in their properties. 

I'd argue this.

Delap, Riggott, Carsley, Commons, Higginbotham, Dailly, possibly Dave Jones, ...er that's it really... yeah,, they all had top flight careers after Derby.

For me Chris Martin is the man.

I'd forgotten about Riggott, but a number of those players have yo-yo'd between the top tier and the second division. I was after players who have regularly appeared in the Premier League and other top-flight leagues in Europe, and established themselves there - Osman has veen a stalwart for Everton and this season is the first season Huddlestone's not been in a Premier League squad since we sold him.

Not sure Commons in the SPL really counts either...although he has played in the Champions League with Celtic, in fairness.

Although you can add Alberto Bueno to the list - impressive La Liga goal-scoring record now, and a move to a big club in Porto.

But even if we do count all your players, Mostyn, that's still a pathetic amount of players for a club of our size over the course of 15 years. Think about how many players we've signed for over half a million pounds who have sank down the Football League ladder without a trace after leaving us - the list is two or three times longer.

Archived