15 years on - who's been our best player since the turn of the millennium?

Duracell

Who's been our best player since the year 200?  

101 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just apologise to Mr Poom and I won't let you're hatred lose me any sleep :p 

I'll think about it but he was still very pleased with himself. Which makes me wonder if I can be bothered to search the forum for a topic about whether ex players should/have done celebrate scoring against their old clubs. 

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd forgotten about Riggott, but a number of those players have yo-yo'd between the top tier and the second division. I was after players who have regularly appeared in the Premier League and other top-flight leagues in Europe, and established themselves there - Osman has veen a stalwart for Everton and this season is the first season Huddlestone's not been in a Premier League squad since we sold him.

Not sure Commons in the SPL really counts either...although he has played in the Champions League with Celtic, in fairness.

Although you can add Alberto Bueno to the list - impressive La Liga goal-scoring record now, and a move to a big club in Porto.

But even if we do count all your players, Mostyn, that's still a pathetic amount of players for a club of our size over the course of 15 years. Think about how many players we've signed for over half a million pounds who have sank down the Football League ladder without a trace after leaving us - the list is two or three times longer.

Mouir El Hamdoui, does he count?

If we are talking about going on and doing well Riggott went on and played in the UEFA cup final which I don't think anyone else that has left has got close to.

For me I cant understand how anyone can put Chris Martin in the same bracket of player as Eranio or Idiakez, I don't even think Martin is the best player in the current squad

the best player in the 2000's is Will Hughes without question. 

I can't believe anyone is thinking anyone else at all....!

he's not yet contributed nearly enough. He looks neat and tidy but is certainly not yet influential. That's not to say he won't go on to be world class, just he's only just making the transgression from potential to performer, before his injury.

If we are talking about going on and doing well Riggott went on and played in the UEFA cup final which I don't think anyone else that has left has got close to.

For me I cant understand how anyone can put Chris Martin in the same bracket of player as Eranio or Idiakez, I don't even think Martin is the best player in the current squad

Simply Martin has been instrumental. Eranio in his final two years was bit part average at best, and Idiakez was just a set piece show pony who wasn't really anything special during open play.

Simply Martin has been instrumental. Eranio in his final two years was bit part average at best, and Idiakez was just a set piece show pony who wasn't really anything special during open play.

Idiakez did give us one of the great moments though, by putting his penalty into Row Q.

He was good, but that goal celebration still hurts me.

How often do goalkeepers score?...i think we need to allow them a bit of a celebration when they do, whatever the circumstances. Poom was great, i still remember how the Derby fans used to shout Poooooom...... when a cross was swung into the Derby box, so confident we were that he would claim it with the minimum of fuss. 

As loads have said Eranio wasn't that good at all after 2000... William is the only candidate

Eranio in his last year would still breeze into any side we have had since he left, also not forgetting he was still playing at the highest level at the time.

Hughes is not a bad shout though, a class player whose controlling of the game often goes unnoticed.

Giles Barnes is another who I enjoyed watching albeit for such a short period, people say he was arrogant, but sometimes to be the best you need that.

Archived