Reading v Derby County

Chris Mills

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

these constant line up changes are interesting to say the least- as i said in previous posts i prefer lee grant to carson, i think he can pull off sublime saves that carson can't. Don't get me wrong Grant in the last year has had some dodgey moments and i usually prefer a consistent keeper but i have faith we can see the Grant that was in goal in the play off season again. 

In other words i have belief Grant can become consistent again but i don't think Carson can all of a sudden make game winning saves. Either way i'm happy with both keepers at this level.

People are questioning Christie at RB but i hugely prefer him to shotton and with baird injured i would keep him there. I would be questioning why warnock is getting the nod over forsyth that's one i really do not understand.

if we want 2 attacking fullbacks we need 3 CBs which would be why we are playing Warnock when Christie plays and Baird/Shotton when Forsyth plays. 

Wouldn't drop warnock if he's fit, was solid today best I've seen him play, but doubt he will be fit and I'm  more than happy to see a player like Forsyth back in! I like Christie and I want him to do well but today he just seemed so low on confidence and panics so I'd have to put shotton in

Warnock, Shackell and Keogh will definitely play to keep a much needed solid defence, Shotton may come in to sure it up a little, unless we want a counter attacking option then Christie will stay.

I'd give Hanson the nod, just signed a new contract so will probably be on a high!

No change further forward!

Going to be difficult game though!

The difference this season is squad depth (and boy have we needed it with the cavalcade of midfield injuries). With five changes for Preston I think we're seeing that Clement is happy to rotate the team and maximize our resources when playing two games in three days.

Grant

Shotton   Keogh  Shackell   Forsyth

Hanson

Hendrick   Butterfield

Ince

Martin  Bent

Bench: Carson, Johnson, Russell, Weimann, Dawkins, Pearce, Christie

I'm presuming Warnock won't be fit. Russell played the full 90 (brilliantly) but gets a rest as I don't believe he has the stamina to go again immediately. Ince and Butterfield came off relatively early so will come back refreshed. Johnson tired by the end yesterday and hasn't been playing full games forNorwich so he gets a rest. Bent must be desperate to play - and Clement's finally going to let him off his leash. Christie deserves to drop out. I would play Carson because I think Grant has been a liability for quite a while and one game doesn't change that, but there must have been some reason for Carson to drop out yesterday.

This would be five changes again. Some say not to change a winning team, but I think having fresh legs and energy could really help us. And then Thorne and Bryson will hopefully come into the equation for the weekend.

If I had to have a guess: 

Grant

Shotton                       Keogh                     Shackell                  Forsyth      

Hanson                                              Johnson

Ince                                             Butterfield                                        Russell

Martin

Subs: Carson, Christie, Warnock, Pearce, Hendrick, Weimann, Bent 

I imagine we'll be negative. I envisage both full-backs will be changed again, with Grant keeping his place due to his momentum. 

Hanson will need help playing that deep position and Johnson will be the man to do it. Butterfield tasked with playing behind Martin and looking to cause problems from outside the box. Ince and Russell playing down the wing. 

As SRG said, though, it is a bit of line-up bingo. 

Grant

Christie Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Butterfield Johnson Hendrick

Ince Martin Russell

Slightly cautious about playing our only fit DM (Hanson) due to the opposition and the importance, on the other hand I'm not really sure about that midfield 3... Also Christie is a gamble against a side that just scored 5... Injuries proving costly 

Grant

Baird Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Hanson

Johnson Butterfield

Russell

Martin Weimann

Difficult one to call, Clement likes to mix it up. I feel that Weimann deserves a chance to start, especially with Ince being so poor yesterday. Hanson might struggle in the holding role on his own though. If Baird isnt deemed fit, probably go with Shotton.

If I had to have a guess: 

Grant

Shotton                       Keogh                     Shackell                  Forsyth      

Hanson                                              Johnson

Ince                                             Butterfield                                        Russell

Martin

Subs: Carson, Christie, Warnock, Pearce, Hendrick, Weimann, Bent 

I imagine we'll be negative. I envisage both full-backs will be changed again, with Grant keeping his place due to his momentum. 

Hanson will need help playing that deep position and Johnson will be the man to do it. Butterfield tasked with playing behind Martin and looking to cause problems from outside the box. Ince and Russell playing down the wing. 

As SRG said, though, it is a bit of line-up bingo. 

Aaargh!!! Stop saying line up bingo FFFS!!!!

We're getting the hang of PC now......

so i'm expecting.......

Baird

shotton......hanson.......pearce........fozzy

Johnson

Butterfield.    Hendrick

Ince................martin...............bent

This will be a tough game, they look good so to win this would be a real sign that we're getting there. Would accept a decent performance and a 5th draw of the season. I think the team will be...

Grant

Shotton Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Hanson

Hendrick Johnson

Ince Martin Russell

It depends if Warnock is fit to play after coming off. I can't see Christie and Forsyth playing, so if Warnock starts we could see Christie, if not, Shotton and Forsyth. I think we may rotate in the middle slightly. Butterfield may have his turn to sit on the bench, but wouldn't be surprised to see Butterfield + Johnson in the middle.

Martin & Russell undroppable at the moment, Ince probably won't be dropped based on reputation so front 3 to continue as the same. I'm not sure why Carson was dropped for the Preston game, but he was and Grant did nothing wrong so he'll continue in goal.

This will be a tough game, they look good so to win this would be a real sign that we're getting there. Would accept a decent performance and a 5th draw of the season. I think the team will be...

Grant

Shotton Keogh Shackell Forsyth

Hanson

Hendrick Johnson

Ince Martin Russell

It depends if Warnock is fit to play after coming off. I can't see Christie and Forsyth playing, so if Warnock starts we could see Christie, if not, Shotton and Forsyth. I think we may rotate in the middle slightly. Butterfield may have his turn to sit on the bench, but wouldn't be surprised to see Butterfield + Johnson in the middle.

Martin & Russell undroppable at the moment, Ince probably won't be dropped based on reputation so front 3 to continue as the same. I'm not sure why Carson was dropped for the Preston game, but he was and Grant did nothing wrong so he'll continue in goal.

Why can't you see Christie and Forsyth playing?

Why can't you see Christie and Forsyth playing?

Based on Clement's selections so far he doesn't tend to go for two attacking full backs.

Bolton was Baird & Warnock - defensive

Charlton was Baird & Forsyth - balanced

Boro was Baird & Warnock

Brum we did play Christie and Forsyth, but tactically brought Shotton on, who is more defensive.

Leeds was Baird and Forsyth then Baird and Warnock yesterday.

I can't really see us going with two attacking full-backs, especially not away to a side who are on form. Injuries to Baird and Warnock(?) may see us play that, but have a feeling he'd go for Shotton and Forsyth ahead of Christie and Forsyth. Probably completely wrong though.

Archived