Reading v Derby County

Chris Mills

Based on Clement's selections so far he doesn't tend to go for two attacking full backs.

Bolton was Baird & Warnock - defensive

Charlton was Baird & Forsyth - balanced

Boro was Baird & Warnock

Brum we did play Christie and Forsyth, but tactically brought Shotton on, who is more defensive.

Leeds was Baird and Forsyth then Baird and Warnock yesterday.

I can't really see us going with two attacking full-backs, especially not away to a side who are on form. Injuries to Baird and Warnock(?) may see us play that, but have a feeling he'd go for Shotton and Forsyth ahead of Christie and Forsyth. Probably completely wrong though.

Yeah I'm not sure why it's necessary but he does seem to go with at least one defensive minded fullback. My problem with that is that I wouldn't regard Forsyth as an attacking fullback - his all round game is top notch (bar his passing). We saw last season that Forsyth can play more defensively and not much gets past him. I'm intrigued to see if the squad rotation continues for the whole season. 

• Replies 289
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally I think PC is rotating the squad for a reason. Carson hasn't put a foot wrong but keeping both keepers happy is the best way to do it. Same with Warnock and Forsyth, both good players and you need to keep them both happy and fit.

I expect Hendrick to start again tomorrow and wouldn't be surprised if Ince does get a rest soon.

you can always play your best 11 but that doesn't work in the long run with injuries etc so you have to have a best 18 IMO. 

For me:

Grant

Christie            Keogh         Shackell       Forsyth

Hanson  

Butterfield        Johnson

Weimann                                          Russell
                                                         Martin                            

Just got my tickets for this one, I live just outside Reading so it's the away match I look forward too. Prior to Friday I fancied us for this one, but Reading did well so now I'm not sure.

anyway let's hope for a Rams win COYR

by the way about 14000 sold at the Reading end and 1000 for the Rams according to the guy at the ticket office

Not sure what to make of this one. So far we've come up against sides whose aim has been to stop us playing and nick a goal. After Friday, I think Reading will want to play their own game, and therefore, we may well have more freedom to play ours as a result. 

Having said that, they will be on a massive high after Friday night, so a draw would be a good result.

We're getting the hang of PC now......

so i'm expecting.......

Baird

shotton......hanson.......pearce........fozzy

Johnson

Butterfield.    Hendrick

Ince................martin...............bent

Baird of all people in goal tickled me

"The decision really is whether to play Hanson or Johnson in that position," said head coach Paul Clement ahead of the Championship clash at the Madejski Stadium (kick off 8pm).

Hanson, 19, has started three matches this season.

Johnson, who joined the Rams from Norwich City for £6m on deadline day, made his debut in the 2-1 victory over Preston North End.

"Johnson has played the position before and it is a conversation I have had with him," Clement added.

"He is comfortable doing that. I would not put a player in a position he is not comfortable with."

Clement says Derby are likely to stick with the 4-3-3 system.

Baird is the latest to be struck by the "curse of the midfielders".

Will Hughes, Craig Bryson, George Thorne, Jeff Hendrick and Hanson have all had spells in the treatment room this season.

"We have been really unfortunate with the number of players we have lost in midfield to injuries," said Clement.

"Only one is down to a muscle injury, George Thorne with his calf.

"I would be more concerned if we had lost six or seven midfielders to muscle injuries because that would be saying there was something really wrong with our training methods.

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Hanson-Johnson-frame-holding-role/story-27795861-detail/story.html#0Tr7CiCDSRiD2FGv.99

Just got my tickets for this one, I live just outside Reading so it's the away match I look forward too. Prior to Friday I fancied us for this one, but Reading did well so now I'm not sure.

anyway let's hope for a Rams win COYR

by the way about 14000 sold at the Reading end and 1000 for the Rams according to the guy at the ticket office

half-full fans......

(but the Hants' will be there also.) :ph34r:

Archived