Mel Morris new owner

Derbylad01

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Jesus wept, what a dizzying few days!?!

My initial reaction on the takeover was that I was a little worried about the loss of the 'steadying  hand' and 'safety net', as some have called it, as I was reasonably pleased with the general direction the club has been moving in over the last few seasons under the American's stewardship.

Then I felt more hopefull that we have an owner born and bred in the area who genuinely cares for the club and certainly has enough in the bank to get us up, and with a fair wind and a bit of luck, this could be achieved sooner rather than later.

After that came the thought that if we get up are we going to be in a similar situation to last time round when Gadsby had to issue a statement effectively saying we couldn't afford to compete at the top table and had to endure a humiliating season and record low points total?

Now I am settled on a more optimistic vision of the future. Morris doesn't have enough to spend us into the top ten. Nowhere near it. He can probably, however, afford to keep us there for the vital first couple of seasons as we are building on a much stronger squad than the Davies team that failed so spectacularly.

Moving forwards from there, in conjunction with the new Premier League deal and any new investment we might be able to get in, I see no reason why we can't 'do' a Swansea/Southampton/Crystal Palace. Those clubs are of a similar size and stature to Derby and that kind of model and financial outlay ought not to be beyond us over the long term.

First thing is first though. Let's winour first game of the season!

Where did you get that £25m quote from? This is one of the issues I have with PG also, and my information is that the total investment was no more than £7m, with the rest, if any, being in assurances rather than investment. The quote £25m misled fans into thinking there'd been £5m each pumped in. This apparently led to some boardroom arguments.

You wouldn't be far out with the initial £7m,Mostyn, but there was a subsequent £3m rights issue. To be fair the statement does indicate investment and commitment,and one could argue that a guarantee represents a commitment.If it had purely said 'investment',then that would have been misleading.One small point - there were 6 of them,so less than £5m each. 

You wouldn't be far out with the initial £7m,Mostyn, but there was a subsequent £3m rights issue. To be fair the statement does indicate investment and commitment,and one could argue that a guarantee represents a commitment.If it had purely said 'investment',then that would have been misleading.One small point - there were 6 of them,so less than £5m each. 

I cannot remember if one of them came later, or the married couple had a split share

I cannot remember if one of them came later, or the married couple had a split share

From what I remember,at the outset it was Gadsby,Kirkland,Morris,Horton,Marples and Amott.

His interview is now up on RamsPlayer. Key points that I've grabbed out.

• The reason why he bought BJ and JB was that after falling short on the last couple of seasons due to injuries he promised Paul Clement that if there was an injury to a key player he'd get a suitable replacement for them. I believe we were looking for one midfielder then Hughes got injured so had to get a second one.
  • Clements been told he HAS to have 3 academy players minimum in his squad. They need to be seen to develop as well and be played.
  • Wants players like Hughes and Ibe to come out the academy. In 5 years time he wants half the first team to be academy products. 1 player a year steps up.
  • Will give Paul Clement time, reiterated the 3 year plan for promotion. We are in year 2, and if we don't get in this season we'll go harder next season.
  • Wants to create a supporters group who have regular conversations/meetings with senior management staff. Wants to create a culture of transparency so people understand how Derby County prepare for matches and understand the effort people put into getting the team onto the pitch.
  • If supporters and fans want to see the finances, Mel will allow them to view the books. He is so confident that the club is in the best financial shape it's ever been and has nothing to hide.

Overall I'm really happy with everything he said in the interview and now I'm really excited for Derby County under his ownership!

In my mind Amott came later. I'm happy to be corrected though.

I think Coconut's quote on page 5 related to the outset.Anyhows , I don't know why I've got involved in LOG stuff yet again ! I'm out.

• The reason why he bought BJ and JB was that after falling short on the last couple of seasons due to injuries he promised Paul Clement that if there was an injury to a key player he'd get a suitable replacement for them. I believe we were looking for one midfielder then Hughes got injured so had to get a second one.
  • Clements been told he HAS to have 3 academy players minimum in his squad. They need to be seen to develop as well and be played.
  • Wants players like Hughes and Ibe to come out the academy. In 5 years time he wants half the first team to be academy products. 1 player a year steps up.
  • Will give Paul Clement time, reiterated the 3 year plan for promotion. We are in year 2, and if we don't get in this season we'll go harder next season.
  • Wants to create a supporters group who have regular conversations/meetings with senior management staff. Wants to create a culture of transparency so people understand how Derby County prepare for matches and understand the effort people put into getting the team onto the pitch.
  • If supporters and fans want to see the finances, Mel will allow them to view the books. He is so confident that the club is in the best financial shape it's ever been and has nothing to hide.

Overall I'm really happy with everything he said in the interview and now I'm really excited for Derby County under his ownership!

Brilliant!!! 

Fantastic news. Would love to know his feelings about safe standing, the Plaza and future stadium development/expansion. I thought that bringing 1 player through the academy every 2 seasons would be a good record. He wants one every year, so I expect a lot of big things to happen there. Especially if we are to be this stable PL club. Can't wait to see the new lads in action and for others to emerge. 

All you fans of Hendrick are gonna be well happy about that...

Have to say that RamsPlayer interview goes some way to calming some of my fears. Think it's the fact he's a fan that concerned me somewhat - the only thing worse than the Three Amigoes running this club would probably be Duracell coming into some money and running the show. I'd have sacked Hendrick after Saturday, then re-signed him just so I could sack him again if I had the power.

That's a pretty irrational fear when you consider the fans who have met him an his record in the world of business. But I'm still remaining cautious. Under the stewardship of the American owners we did in the Championship what most clubs have to get relegated to League One to do. They were patient and they were sensible, and we wouldn't be where we are today without them.

I'm a young Derby fan, so I'm more accustomed to false dawns than success. Mel Morris is making all the right noises but this young heart has been broken so many times before :( 

As I said in an earlier post, the academy is excellent. If you was ever to get the chance to go around, you have to.

The development there is just amazing to see. They have replica pitches of the Ipro pitch with undersoil heating, same grass etc. They are also building a mini stadium to allow the U21's and below the chance to play in front of real people to get them ready for matches.

The indoor arena is being added onto to make it a 21st century arena, again to give the boys/girls the best facilities to train with. I can't even remember how many pitches there are but they are looking to have one for every age group from U8's I think it is upwards.

Right from an early age they take the teams all over the country and abroad to play in games and tournaments which again is way beyond a lot of clubs.

They are also attracting the best young players from afar because of the training and facilities. I do think that within the next 5-10 years we will produce quality young players just like Southampton are doing now.

They should do tours of the training facility just like they do at the Ipro, I'm guessing you will enjoy the training facilities more because it's not something you see all of the time. 

I hope they aren't too rigid with the 3 academy players thing.

I don't see much point in sticking someone on the bench just to make up the numbers if there's very little chance they'll come on.

That said I think its a good idea in principle.

I was also a bit nervous about Mel, but the interview summary has made me a lot less nervous.

That was in our suggestion thread. 

Archived