any thoughts on the strikers?

dcfcreece1601

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin, Bent and Wiemann, would've liked to see a back up to Martin, but finding a replacement for our best player, who would be happy to sit on the bench week after week while not gobbling up huge amounts of wages seems beyond us.

Last few windows I've been amazed no one has been in for Martin, the fact we've kept him while strengthening elsewhere gives me confidence the recruitment dept have a loan target lined up, should he get broken.

Yes Darren bent comes under that but seriously just 2 capable goalscorers up front at the moment and what if martin gets injured? Just a thought that we are really thin on strikers would like a loan perhaps James Wilson?

But they wouldn't play. If Martin gets injured, I'm sure we will have learnt from last season and get a loan in. Not much use in having one before then though.

What about a right back never mind another striker 

We've got 4 of them. Christie, Baird, Shotton, Ssewankambo. All Championship quality if you ask me.

Personally, I like Baird. He tells people who need to **** off to **** off.

Calls a spade a spade you know?

Johnson looks best out on the left I'm told. I hope that means we now see Weimann more as a striking alternative, rather than out wide.

But I still don't really see what role either he or Bent has with us outside coming on at the end of tight matches where we want to win. Neither of them can really play as lone strikers, so if Martin was out injured, we'd have to change the formation and play them both to get the best out of them.

I think we should have tried to sign a poor man's Martin as back-up. We'd never get someone in with his goal-scoring ability but if we had cover who could just hold the ball up, we wouldn't have to reinvent the wheel every time Martin is unavailable for selection. 

We've got 4 of them. Christie, Baird, Shotton, Ssewankambo. All Championship quality if you ask me.

Personally, I like Baird. He tells people who need to **** off to **** off.

Calls a spade a spade you know?

Wouldn't call any of them a solid right back Christie confidence still shot good going forward poor defender, Baird too old and slow, Shotton unreliable always a mistake in him Ssewankambo unproven and inexperienced not much to choose from that puddle of mediocrity 

Wouldn't call any of them a solid right back Christie confidence still shot good going forward poor defender, Baird too old and slow, Shotton unreliable always a mistake in him Ssewankambo unproven and inexperienced not much to choose from that puddle of mediocrity 

How is Baird too old and slow? Have you actually watched him play or have you prejudged him based on what you think you know?

What we have up front is over adequate for the championship. A blend of different attributes. Who's to say we have to play 443  all the time. Isn't the fact we had no plan B and no personnel to change the formation last year to deal with the injuries. 

If martin was out just change it up to 442 with Bent and Weimann up front. Could also get a loan in. With the midfield we have now opportunities should increase for the forwards to score.

RB is still the one position I see as weak and needs a good look at, long term

Really happy with who we've signed today and also throughout the transfer window , but I can't hep but think we are missing a striker to complete the puzzle? Like an out and out striker to compete with bent\martin? Just my thoughts what are other peoples thoughts?

Completely agree. I have a nagging feeling that Martin isn't fully over his injury from last year in terms of fitness and we seem to be struggling to accommodate Bent in the side.

What we have up front is over adequate for the championship. A blend of different attributes. Who's to say we have to play 443  all the time. Isn't the fact we had no plan B and no personnel to change the formation last year to deal with the injuries. 

If martin was out just change it up to 442 with Bent and Weimann up front. Could also get a loan in. With the midfield we have now opportunities should increase for the forwards to score.

RB is still the one position I see as weak and needs a good look at, long term

this is the way forward.....rush goalie

nobody will expect a rush goalie and we can accommodate all our new signings (except Carson):D

Archived