Birmingham City v Derby County

Mafiabob

Rather generous marks for the defence. They had 15 shots!

Donaldson bossed us in the air. Why Shackell didn't make him his man is beyond me.

Forsyth did well against Gray. Christie played okay and I couldn't understand why Shotton was brought on unless Christie was injured. We lost fluency down the right.

Bent and Martin in the same team doesn't work. Far better to have Dawkins in to keep the momentum going forward. 

Russell before his goal was predictable and frustrating. After it he looked the part. I am sure the rest of the forwards will also be okay once they find the net a few more times.

No need to panic. We look okay.

• Replies 433
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It just about looks that way pal.

He just seems really unlucky, the only place he's made a consistent impact was the MLS, so far at Derby he's got going only to be halted by injury, not being around for pre-season has now hampered him too.

He's never really established himself anywhere other than San Jose though, sometimes in this league it's the impression of being busy, rather than being neat and tidy that grabs the attention of the manager.

It was a penalty but I think we'll have to accept that a couple of refs don't like Chris Martin and they let their prejudice rule their judgement over him.

Not much we can do about inadequate saddo's who never got picked for the school team....its their revenge against popular guys like Chrissy I guess.

I fear for Leeds. We are going to absolutely smash them, its coming,

Promising second half considering I think a few players can perform a lot better.

If Russell had that final pass/ball he could be so effective. Takes it round a couple, 5 or 6 brilliant touches and then just does something **** with it. 

Didnt think Thorne had the best of games but was still decent enough, looked f**ked last 20 to be fair, him and Baird were just passengers when defending. 

No idea why we've signed Baird really, and really got no f**cking idea why he's captain. He's just a body to play midfield and even though Shotton/Christie are no world beaters, I'm struggling to imagine him being significantly better at right back.

Thought Bent was pretty woeful first half, but improved second. Should have scored though and prefer others over him.

Ince class and Martin getting there.

Harsh on Carson those criticising him. Couldnt have placed the ball much better in the corner. Just unlucky that goal, same as Charlton. People are always looking to blame someone for anything.

Maybe a penalty, but Martin has never helped himself. Gone down theatrically and I didnt see the contract on his foot in real time. We'll get much clearer penaltys not given this season. 

More p*ssed off about his shocking touch leading up to it, should have buried that chance. 

Good performance overall could have gone either way but overall we had the better chances. We were just lacking urgency and a couple of times tonight the players wanted a touch before shooting.

carson - feel confident with him in goal, couldn't do much more for the Birmingham goal imo

christie - looked good going forward, but can't cross and looks weak defensively

keogh - solid and tried to get us going, looks a diffrerent player without responsibility

shackell - solid and dominant in the air but his passing could be better going forwards

forsyth - easily our best full back but still can't do the simple things like pass 5 yards

baird - doesn't offer much in midfield imo I think he's best suited at the back

thorne - played well and mAde some good tackles, he will only get better from here

russell - rescued us again with a good finish, quiet game overall but made some decent runs that didn't quite come off

ince - same as Russell, nearly scored and could have shot instead of taking a touch on a few occasions

Bent - had a good game and hit the bar, was starting to look a threat before he was subbed which would of disappointed him

martin - wasn't in the game really, had chances but clearly lacking confidence to shoot first time 

short on - pointless sub but did put in a quality cross towards the end that no one attacked

weimann - came close but for a quality save from their GK, he will get goals for us looks a real player 

Good performance overall could have gone either way but overall we had the better chances. We were just lacking urgency and a couple of times tonight the players wanted a touch before shooting.

carson - feel confident with him in goal, couldn't do much more for the Birmingham goal imo

christie - looked good going forward, but can't cross and looks weak defensively

keogh - solid and tried to get us going, looks a diffrerent player without responsibility

shackell - solid and dominant in the air but his passing could be better going forwards

forsyth - easily our best full back but still can't do the simple things like pass 5 yards

baird - doesn't offer much in midfield imo I think he's best suited at the back

thorne - played well and mAde some good tackles, he will only get better from here

russell - rescued us again with a good finish, quiet game overall but made some decent runs that didn't quite come off

ince - same as Russell, nearly scored and could have shot instead of taking a touch on a few occasions

Bent - had a good game and hit the bar, was starting to look a threat before he was subbed which would of disappointed him

martin - wasn't in the game really, had chances but clearly lacking confidence to shoot first time 

short on - pointless sub but did put in a quality cross towards the end that no one attacked

weimann - came close but for a quality save from their GK, he will get goals for us looks a real player 

So not pointless then?

Christie looks back to his old self. 

Not sure about that - the times he had the ball on the wing but checked back in on himself tonight would have seen him beating their man and getting a good (even great, lest we forget his early assists)  cross in when he first came, his tendency for indecision is still far more evident than in those early games.

He got completely done one on one at one point tonight (as he did twice against Burton) and their best chance of the second half came when he was oblivious to their winger running in behind untracked (he simply did not look!)

That said, he was decent enough overall.

Penalty for me - stood on his foot. 

Carson, much more confident than Grant - at the moment. 

We are getting better every match I think. 

Just have a feeling everyones a bit uncomfortable - players and fans.  

He's a strange one, Clement.  Time will tell.  Unbeaten in 4 - can't grumble. 

Shotton, and Forsyth for that matter, have a habit of crossing for crossing's sake. 

The amount of times they get into a crossing area and hit a ball into the box whether or not anybody is there is infuriating. It just takes a little bit more quality to direct your cross into a selected area. 

Shotton, and Forsyth for that matter, have a habit of crossing for crossing's sake. 

The amount of times they get into a crossing area and hit a ball into the box whether or not anybody is there is infuriating. It just takes a little bit more quality to direct your cross into a selected area. 

Christie has a similar mentality to that as well I reckon. Quite a few times tonight he'd have the option to play it inside to Ince who's in space but he felt the need to try and take his man on. Was a great performance by him though which is very encouraging 

Harsh on Carson those criticising him. Couldnt have placed the ball much better in the corner. Just unlucky that goal, same as Charlton. People are always looking to blame someone for anything.

Think it is just me saying that he should have done better. He got his angles wrong, that is all, a mistake, don't wanna crucify him or owt.

I think if it was Grant in goal though, quite a few would ve saying the same, he shouldn't be beat at his near post from there.

I don't think you can blame Carson too much, if at all. It's a shot that's hit the lowest point of the right hand corner and it's also took a deflection. 

I'm not saying no keeper in the world could have saved it, but seven times out of 10 that would be put past any keeper in the world. 

I don't think you can blame Carson too much, if at all. It's a shot that's hit the lowest point of the right hand corner and it's also took a deflection. 

I'm not saying no keeper in the world could have saved it, but seven times out of 10 that would be put past any keeper in the world. 

I think I am being harsh then I watch it again and I can't help but think he should be a step or 2 to his left. He made a great effort to get there, and almost did, but like I have said his starting position is wrong.

Just a quick one on Russell's finish - anyone else think he got really luck with it?

He had options to square it for a tap-in, he went for goal and literally smashed it straight at their GK. If their GK hadn't dived out the way to anticpate it, it would have just hit him and bounced out.

I think Russell's end product is dreadul at times which is a shame because he clearly has talent in other areas. His energy, running, movement etc. was all superb.

Give me the choice of Theo Robinson and Johnny Russell going through one-on-one with the GK and I'd choose the former every time. 

Archived