How do you spell "Derby County"?

wixman1884

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have an Idea that Derby as in a local Derby actually comes from us. A name given to monster matches played with balls between an indeterminate number of participants with no rules somewhere around the present location of the Market Hall. 

So chaotic that any sort of troublesome barney with a ball was called a " Derby"

dunno no if I just made this up or not ! ????

I have an Idea that Derby as in a local Derby actually comes from us. A name given to monster matches played with balls between an indeterminate number of participants with no rules somewhere around the present location of the Market Hall. 

So chaotic that any sort of troublesome barney with a ball was called a " Derby"

dunno no if I just made this up or not ! ????

I have to dispute that jono - I think the term "Derby" as a description of a sporting contest comes from the race, which was named after Lord Derby who I don't think came from here.

Local "Derby" is just a derivation of the generic term "derby" meaning a sporting contest.

The phrase most likely originated from The Derby, a horse race in England, founded by the 12th Earl of Derby in 1780, since at least as early as 1840 'derby' has been used as a noun in English to denote any kind of sporting contest. A local derby is just a sporting contest between local rivals. It may be that the Earl, and his ancestors, are responsible for lending their family name to sporting events, giving rise to the 'derby' match.

[wikipedia]

or..

It comes from the Shrovetide game, which before it was relocated to Ashbourne, was held in Derby.

The players were two local teams – St Peter's Parish and All Saints. The goals were Gallows Baulk, the top of Normanton Road (St Peter's) and Nuns Mill (All Saints).

The start was always in the Market Place and up to a thousand players took part.

Arms and legs were broken and heads cracked.

One tactic of St Peter's was to get the ball into the Markeaton Brook and then into the Derwent and down to the goal at Nuns Mill. In 1796 one player, John Sneap, was found drowned on the banks of the river.

Various mayors tried to ban the game but it lasted until 1846, when the government intervened.

After a letter from the Secretary of State to the mayor, William Eaton Mousley, the Riot Act was read on Market Place, the Cavalry brought in and Shrovetide football ceased to be played in Derby.

http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/City-s-Shrovetide-match-birth-local-derby-phrase/story-17187254-detail/story.html#ixzz3i7OdtNbR 

I've seen it spelled Derby County, Derbee County and Derbie Countie back in England. And out here in the states, most people spell it D'arby County.

What is your preference and why?

This is a slight anomoly here dude...

"Derby" is a proper noun... It's the name of the place and therefore the name of the team... It's not a flexible spelling... it's ALWAYS "Derby County"

I have to dispute that jono - I think the term "Derby" as a description of a sporting contest comes from the race, which was named after Lord Derby who I don't think came from here.

Local "Derby" is just a derivation of the generic term "derby" meaning a sporting contest.

yes Hants .( and thanks for the link Animalisa) 

I had always thought that until I read a little about the Shrovetide ashbourne thing. My guess is that the horse race hypothesis is right and the mayhem ball game tagged on to it. But in a logical, if not historical sense, the football game explanation sounds better .. After all a Derby is more than just a sporting contest .. It's the local rivalry and heightened passion element that isn't covered in the horse race / general sporting contest. Love history and I do go on a bit ! ?

Archived