How do you spell "Derby County"?

wixman1884

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yes Hants .( and thanks for the link Animalisa) 

I had always thought that until I read a little about the Shrovetide ashbourne thing. My guess is that the horse race hypothesis is right and the mayhem ball game tagged on to it. But in a logical, if not historical sense, the football game explanation sounds better .. After all a Derby is more than just a sporting contest .. It's the local rivalry and heightened passion element that isn't covered in the horse race / general sporting contest. Love history and I do go on a bit ! ?

I too love history mate, so no need to apologise for that.

And I quite like etymology so I think what we have here is the use of "derby" to describe a fixture - I think in any sport, not just footie - which is between two local sides has evolved as a diminutive form of "local derby".

The original use of "derby" would have then been to describe any contest as not being necessarily between local sides.

I go on a bit also..........and really I'm a mathematician by profession so can claim to be nothing more than an enthusiastic amateur in these things.

And a 'derby' does indeed come from the Shrovetide football match.

really? So in medieval England 2 teams engage in a sport in Ashbourne and decide to name their contest after a market ttown happening to be relatively close by?

by that reasoning they could equally have called it a "buxton"?

On second thoughts,  what a chance missed!  We could play 2 buxtons a year against the trees. ......???

really? So in medieval England 2 teams engage in a sport in Ashbourne and decide to name their contest after a market ttown happening to be relatively close by?

by that reasoning they could equally have called it a "buxton"?

On second thoughts,  what a chance missed!  We could play 2 buxtons a year against the trees. ......???

Shrovetide was in Derby before it was in Ashbourne.

This is a slight anomoly here dude...

"Derby" is a proper noun... It's the name of the place and therefore the name of the team... It's not a flexible spelling... it's ALWAYS "Derby County"

I'm pretty sure all the replica kits and tv coverage over here spell it D'Arby Countee 

Presume you mean the custom of playing a game rather than the religious festival? 

This is new news and counter revolutionary to my teaching in Belper. 

I am learning!  What's the source of this intelligence? 

Apologies, yes. Shrovetide football.

There were infact many locations of 'mob football' such as the Shrovetide games, but the one in Derby was done before medieval times. Ended with the reading of the Riot Act in 1846 and never returned.

Ashbourne's just happens to be the most well known, probably due to it being enacted in the present day.

Source: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/City-s-Shrovetide-match-birth-local-derby-phrase/story-17187254-detail/story.html

Apologies, yes. Shrovetide football.

There were infact many locations of 'mob football' such as the Shrovetide games, but the one in Derby was done before medieval times. Ended with the reading of the Riot Act in 1846 and never returned.

Ashbourne's just happens to be the most well known, probably due to it being enacted in the present day.

Source: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/City-s-Shrovetide-match-birth-local-derby-phrase/story-17187254-detail/story.html

fair play mate Cheers 

While the Jury is still out on how do you say Derby County I thought I might mention in passing that in Anglo Saxon English, Nottingham was called Snott .. The Ingham came later as that means people .. In translation it means the Land of the followers of Snott.

Archived