Whisky

SaintRam

Tried JD, Jim Beam and some crap in blue bottle with gold cap

That last one is Haig Club, which is pretty ****. Bourbons aren't all that either, more of a mixer than a good drink in their own right. I drink malts, and I drink them for their tastes. I enjoy them a lot. I also like the taste of some, pretty average, beers (the less hoppy the better) and some wine but I prefer the taste of whisky to everything tbh. 

Aged malts can have some pretty unique flavours depending on the method of aging, but if you don't like it you don't like it. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I work as a designer and Glenfiddich is a client of mine so have a bit of a bias. Anything Japanese is delicious though.

Try the Hibiki Japanese Harmony! Best blended I've had in years.

Do people think cider is cool? Surely not.

I used to think it was cool in about 1990, when we used to go down by the river in Bakewell park with 2 litre bottles of Merrydown cider. Slightly less cool about an hour later, chucking it back up in the cattle market & getting the last bus back to Baslow with a puke stinking wet shirt.

Happy days.

Auchentoshan three wood is my sipping whisky of choice at the moment, lads very kindly bought me a bottle for my birthday. I'm also partial to Laphroig which is probably as different as you can get to the Auchentoshan.

I'm not a big drinker, but like a wee dram with a splash of water (no ice) when the mood takes me.

• 4 months later...
49 minutes ago, Cisse said:

Managed to get a bottle of limited release of Benriach 15 YRS Triple Distilled/Pedro Ximenez Sherry Finish for my dad as a Christmas present. :thumbsup:

I would have thought you could at least have got him  bottle of Glenfarclas 40 y.o. Only £640 (€870)

On Monday, July 27, 2015 at 08:28, Daveo said:

Nobody drinks Whisky and enjoys the taste, it's the same as Cider and other fads like doing your top button up on shirts and beards, all about the status, look at me I'm cool. it will pass soon enough with everyone jumping on to the next big thing.

10 years ago had you been out sporting a food infested beard with your top button up on your shirt ordering a cider or whisky people would point and laugh, I'm still laughing today.

Next time you pour that whisky or cider, forget about how cool you think you look and actually taste what you are drinking, ask yourself is this an enjoyable drink, the answer will be no, if it's yes you still haven't let go of that I think I'm cool status

This sounds exactly like one of my rants to the "younger mob " at work ??

Lagavullin... Love the stuff

Talisker, Dalwhinnie, MacAllan, Laphroig, Glenlivet... Passed my lips on numerous occasions...

My old man has a Murray McDavid Linkwood 1973... Aged 29 years... Numbered bottle 169 of 600... Still unopened. Bought in 2006. 

Also dont put anything else in it... No ice etc... Sacrelige to have it with anything else... As it comes...

On 27/07/2015 at 08:28, Daveo said:

Nobody drinks Whisky and enjoys the taste, it's the same as Cider and other fads like doing your top button up on shirts and beards, all about the status, look at me I'm cool. it will pass soon enough with everyone jumping on to the next big thing.

10 years ago had you been out sporting a food infested beard with your top button up on your shirt ordering a cider or whisky people would point and laugh, I'm still laughing today.

Next time you pour that whisky or cider, forget about how cool you think you look and actually taste what you are drinking, ask yourself is this an enjoyable drink, the answer will be no, if it's yes you still haven't let go of that I think I'm cool status

Tasting notes on Glenfarclas 40 year old malt

Tasting Note by The Chaps at Master of Malt

Nose: Very complex and rich. Calves leather, cedar wood cigar boxes and cocoa kicking things off. Then we’re onto waves of sweet sherry and chocolate orange, marmalade and butterscotch. Hints of molasses develop and just a whisper of pepper.

Palate: About as rich and intense as anything we’ve ever tried from Glenfarclas. The chocolate richness develops in the glass, with notes of chocolate raisins, dates and figs, orange and maraschino cherry. Then spices and thick espresso coffee.

Finish: Sublimely concentrated waves of mochaccino and gingerbread, with deep leathery notes clinging to the end.

Overall: We’re left speechless! It’s overwhelmingly good…

Archived