Whisky

SaintRam

1 hour ago, froggg said:

Is that expensive? for me you can't beat Grants Sherry cask, sometimes under £15 a bottle.

sherry-cask-video.jpg

Depends on what you class as expensive I suppose, it's £60 a bottle, so not really. 

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, froggg said:

Neat, water or ice?  prefer a splash of Buxton water in mine, never neat or with ice. 

ADDING WATER

Whether or not you should add water to your whisky is entirely about personal taste. Many who drink their whisky neat say they do not want to spoil the taste by adding water to it.

However, there are just as many whisky drinkers who say that adding a touch of water, especially soft still spring water will enhance the aroma and flavour of a whisky and bring out the whiskies hidden characteristics. It is worth noting that tap water can contain high levels chlorine and would spoil rather than complement your whisky, if this is the case with your tap water it is best avoided.

The true lover of whisky will drink their whisky as the professionals do, with a little clear water. Adding a little water to whisky before drinking will prevent the strength of the whisky numbing your senses and reducing your enjoyment of the whisky. It is widely said that you should dilute your whisky with a fifth water. Everyone's tastes varies, so its worth adding just a little water at a time to see what you prefer. Having said all that I do agree that some whiskies are best without any water added.

ADDING ICE
Adding ice to your favourite single malt Scotch whisky is such a shame. Putting ice in your whisky will only reduce the temperature of the whisky, freezing its aroma and the smell, and will only dull the taste of the whisky. Many people do add ice, if you are one of them why not try it without, we assure you it will be like drinking a different whisky.

If you're going to drink it man up! 'Kin water

Glen fiddich!

absolutely divine! (drink straight ofc)

what do others think of this whiskey?

Cant say I like many other brands, especially not jack daniels. that **** is vile unless you mix it with coke and if you're doing that just drink cheap vodka with coke or something.

On 21 December 2015 at 22:33, Phoenix said:

I would have thought you could at least have got him  bottle of Glenfarclas 40 y.o. Only £640 (€870)

I have that in a tall glass filled to the top with diet coke.

its alright, but it's no Jack 

1 hour ago, Chris Mills said:

People like you make my skin crawl. 

No, that's the delerium tremens you wake up to in a morning - or should do.

(Froggg will get that one)

11 hours ago, froggg said:

Neat, water or ice?  prefer a splash of Buxton water in mine, never neat or with ice. 

ADDING WATER

Whether or not you should add water to your whisky is entirely about personal taste. Many who drink their whisky neat say they do not want to spoil the taste by adding water to it.

However, there are just as many whisky drinkers who say that adding a touch of water, especially soft still spring water will enhance the aroma and flavour of a whisky and bring out the whiskies hidden characteristics. It is worth noting that tap water can contain high levels chlorine and would spoil rather than complement your whisky, if this is the case with your tap water it is best avoided.

The true lover of whisky will drink their whisky as the professionals do, with a little clear water. Adding a little water to whisky before drinking will prevent the strength of the whisky numbing your senses and reducing your enjoyment of the whisky. It is widely said that you should dilute your whisky with a fifth water. Everyone's tastes varies, so its worth adding just a little water at a time to see what you prefer. Having said all that I do agree that some whiskies are best without any water added.

ADDING ICE
Adding ice to your favourite single malt Scotch whisky is such a shame. Putting ice in your whisky will only reduce the temperature of the whisky, freezing its aroma and the smell, and will only dull the taste of the whisky. Many people do add ice, if you are one of them why not try it without, we assure you it will be like drinking a different whisky.

First of all, for the neat, water or ice question I say none of the above! - Stones - but only with Blended. I'm not a fan of cold single malt.  https://www.whiskyshop.com/whisky-stones-set-of-668

Also, after a couple of glasses my senses are not numbed and I can still enjoy it. If I continue to drink then it's because I want my senses dulled. Therefore the only time I add water to a whisky is if I'm at a distillery or something tasting lots of whisky in a day.

• 3 weeks later...

@SaintRam two that i can recommend, both Irish whiskies...

Greenore Whisky - from the Cooley Distillery, limited yearly production but well worth the wait if none availible atm.

Also, I had a bottle of Redbreast 15 year old at christmas, absolutely delightful, they have an 8, 12 & 21 as well.

Archived