Gaming

SaintRam

4 hours ago, SaintRam said:

30 hours in now ? 

Also 30% of the single player according to the save file ?

Similar although I might take a break at the weekend once Jedi Fallen Order comes out.  Really enjoying it though, one of the best games I've played this year.

7 minutes ago, Millenniumram said:

It gets even better than those first 30 hours as well! Best section of the game starts at Saint-Denis imo 

Which is a pretty accurate representation of 19th Century New Orleans (at least the parts that existed, the French Quarter and the Garden District), so extra bit of interest for me (and the New Orleanians I play it with). The horse posts you hitch your horses to in-game are still there in the city.

My friend is also a tour guide over there and took me on a cemetery tour a few years back; the cemetery in the game appears to be 1:1 in layout to the main one in the city. Really cool. One of the more interesting cemetery styles in the world, what with everything needing to be kept above ground.

Edited by SaintRam

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Which is a pretty accurate representation of 19th Century New Orleans (at least the parts that existed, the French Quarter and the Garden District), so extra bit of interest for me (and the New Orleanians I play it with). The horse posts you hitch your horses to in-game are still there in the city.

My friend is also a tour guide over there and took me on a cemetery tour a few years back; the cemetery in the game appears to be 1:1 in layout to the main one in the city. Really cool. One of the more interesting cemetery styles in the world, what with everything needing to be kept above ground.

You should try the latest Mafia game then.

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

Incredible the detail that went into it all really. Have been potentially planning for a while to visit New Orleans as I’ve never really been around that area of the US, so may be going there next year- have to keep an eye out for a comparison with the game!

Interesting, but still an awful, sink-hole of a game where pretty much everything you do is completely pointless and offers no real reward for your time spent doing it.

It wouldnt be so bad if it didn't artificially extend the amount of time it takes you to perform what should be very simple tasks.

Bond with your horse, it'll run faster, but not noticeably so, but you never really race horses, and even when you do the speed of your horse is irrelevant. Eventually you'll unlock the horsey super power of, wait for it, strafing (!) which literally serves no purpose whatsoever.

I could have wasted my time doing hunting challenges, catching fish etc and got some extra clothing items with a little bit of a stats boost, but why would I bother? There's no challenge to the actual gameplay that requires you to boost anything.

I could have played a few hands of cards but why would I bother when the interface is an unusable piece of poo? To get money? No need, money is so easy to come by that anything useful you might actually earn from doing something on the side you can just go out and buy anyway! 

I collected all the cigarette cards (well, I bought a thousand packets from the shop, like buying a full box of panini stickers) - the reward? A tonic to permanently boost my stamina, which I'd already boosted to full by playing the bloody game for 50 hours.

Oh and how many times when the shooting starts on a mission did I go to get my favourite gun but the game had automatically changed my load out? Every time!

It's just an utterly painful waste of time and effort, and the story ain't that bloody good that it makes up for it.

Appalling, overrated piece of poo.

2 hours ago, Coconut said:

Interesting, but still an awful, sink-hole of a game where pretty much everything you do is completely pointless and offers no real reward for your time spent doing it.

It wouldnt be so bad if it didn't artificially extend the amount of time it takes you to perform what should be very simple tasks.

Bond with your horse, it'll run faster, but not noticeably so, but you never really race horses, and even when you do the speed of your horse is irrelevant. Eventually you'll unlock the horsey super power of, wait for it, strafing (!) which literally serves no purpose whatsoever.

I could have wasted my time doing hunting challenges, catching fish etc and got some extra clothing items with a little bit of a stats boost, but why would I bother? There's no challenge to the actual gameplay that requires you to boost anything.

I could have played a few hands of cards but why would I bother when the interface is an unusable piece of poo? To get money? No need, money is so easy to come by that anything useful you might actually earn from doing something on the side you can just go out and buy anyway! 

I collected all the cigarette cards (well, I bought a thousand packets from the shop, like buying a full box of panini stickers) - the reward? A tonic to permanently boost my stamina, which I'd already boosted to full by playing the bloody game for 50 hours.

Oh and how many times when the shooting starts on a mission did I go to get my favourite gun but the game had automatically changed my load out? Every time!

It's just an utterly painful waste of time and effort, and the story ain't that bloody good that it makes up for it.

You played 50 hours and then found out it was poo ? 

Can’t comment of the game myself as I know that at best I get 2-3 hours max per week playing. I have started playing the new COD and surprisingly an enjoying it, but even then I have had it since launch and played only 4 hours max 

54 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Hi all, just wondering if there’s any gaming conferences/ events etc I should go to? I’m looking at gaming addiction in my new role and where would be the best place to get to network etc. Thanks 

Hey @Mafiabob I moved this to the more general gaming discussion rather than the list of people's names.

Most major gaming conferences are in the US or mainland europe; they tend to be mixed into more generic "nerd" stuff in the UK (like comic con) as the number of UK based developers and publishers is not particularly high.

There are smaller scale game expo's - I think just called "UK Games Expo", that are usually in Birmingham. That might be your best bet. Otherwise you're probably best off making direct E-mail contact with individuals/companies.
Getting in touch with gaming journalists (Rock, Paper, Shotgun; PCGamer UK; Kotaku UK etc.) might be a good bet to try and find out good avenues regarding gaming addiction, as they've probably run articles on it and talked to the relevant people themselves.

Also might be worth sending an E-mail to the YouTuber Jim Sterling; he talks about gaming addiction a lot in many of his videos and has spoken to a ton of people in the industry for his videos - so could perhaps assist, although he is based in the states; he has good sources on how explicitly game developers are actively trying to exploit those with addictive tendencies. He's a bit off the wall, some might say a complete loon, but he takes the gaming addiction stuff very seriously.

Edited by SaintRam

50 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Played the first hour of Jedi Fallen Order so far.... incredible (although I am a Star Wars nut ?)

I watched the first episode of The Mandalorian yesterday. I'm a big Star Wars guy but I've not really thought much of any of the movies, to be frank - since the original trilogy which even then I think are flawed.

Anyway, my point is the first episode of The Mandalorian might be my favourite bit of Star Wars on screen since Empire. Obviously it's a show, could go downhill, could go uphill - but right now I think it's incredible. 

16 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

I watched the first episode of The Mandalorian yesterday. I'm a big Star Wars guy but I've not really thought much of any of the movies, to be frank - since the original trilogy which even then I think are flawed.

Anyway, my point is the first episode of The Mandalorian might be my favourite bit of Star Wars on screen since Empire. Obviously it's a show, could go downhill, could go uphill - but right now I think it's incredible. 

Looking forwards to seeing that myself - March 31st in the UK? Although I might look into viewing it earlier this weekend seeing as its had some really positive reviews. 

Rogue One is the best of the recent movies imo.

On 13/11/2019 at 19:07, AdamRam said:

I have started playing the new COD and surprisingly an enjoying it, but even then I have had it since launch and played only 4 hours max 

It's the first CoD I have bought since Advanced Warfare. To me, this game is what CoD is all about and is fantastic. The campaign is awesome, the best since the xbox 360 days in my opinion. 

5 hours ago, SaintRam said:

Hey @Mafiabob I moved this to the more general gaming discussion rather than the list of people's names.

Most major gaming conferences are in the US or mainland europe; they tend to be mixed into more generic "nerd" stuff in the UK (like comic con) as the number of UK based developers and publishers is not particularly high.

There are smaller scale game expo's - I think just called "UK Games Expo", that are usually in Birmingham. That might be your best bet. Otherwise you're probably best off making direct E-mail contact with individuals/companies.
Getting in touch with gaming journalists (Rock, Paper, Shotgun; PCGamer UK; Kotaku UK etc.) might be a good bet to try and find out good avenues regarding gaming addiction, as they've probably run articles on it and talked to the relevant people themselves.

Also might be worth sending an E-mail to the YouTuber Jim Sterling; he talks about gaming addiction a lot in many of his videos and has spoken to a ton of people in the industry for his videos - so could perhaps assist, although he is based in the states; he has good sources on how explicitly game developers are actively trying to exploit those with addictive tendencies. He's a bit off the wall, some might say a complete loon, but he takes the gaming addiction stuff very seriously.

Thank you mate for the info, I’m also in touch with Cam Adair if you know of him? 

30 minutes ago, Mafiabob said:

Thank you mate for the info, I’m also in touch with Cam Adair if you know of him? 

I know of him yeah but I've not followed his stuff

On 13/11/2019 at 16:13, Coconut said:

It sounds like you feel about RDR2 the way that many people do. It’s been designed for people who want to become engrossed in a story, role play as a cowboy who can make choices. 

All the side quests and activities that you say are pointless, other people adore them and enjoy doing them. People want to collect cards. We all have different hobbies.

You say that it’s pointless to do all those things, but that’s why people play games.

I'm only 10 hours into Red Dead and I found the intro hour boring, the next 9 hours have just got better and better. I spent about half an hour in camp listening to people interact and playing cards, it was great. And then was off hunting wild bears, a completely different activity but equally worth my time

11 hours ago, r4derby said:

It sounds like you feel about RDR2 the way that many people do. It’s been designed for people who want to become engrossed in a story, role play as a cowboy who can make choices. 

All the side quests and activities that you say are pointless, other people adore them and enjoy doing them. People want to collect cards. We all have different hobbies.

You say that it’s pointless to do all those things, but that’s why people play games.

I'm only 10 hours into Red Dead and I found the intro hour boring, the next 9 hours have just got better and better. I spent about half an hour in camp listening to people interact and playing cards, it was great. And then was off hunting wild bears, a completely different activity but equally worth my time

I'm into the epilogue now. Still loving it all.

Still walking everywhere (unless in a firefight), almost never galloping when I'm on a horse. Greeting everyone I pass, stopping to investigate whenever a random event appears at the roadside. It's so great ? 

Also @maxjam I agree about Rogue One. As far as I'm concerned my head-canon for Star Wars is the Original Trilogy, Rogue One and now The Mandalorian. As well as BioWare's Old Republic games, of course. ? 
I installed the new Star Wars game over the weekend, the genre really isn't for me. I'll probably stick it on Story difficulty and blast through it in a few hours. I hate platformers; and 3rd person action melee games - so not a great game design for me!

Edited by SaintRam

12 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Also @maxjam I agree about Rogue One. As far as I'm concerned my head-canon for Star Wars is the Original Trilogy, Rogue One and now The Mandalorian. As well as BioWare's Old Republic games, of course. ? 
I installed the new Star Wars game over the weekend, the genre really isn't for me. I'll probably stick it on Story difficulty and blast through it in a few hours. I hate platformers; and 3rd person action melee games - so not a great game design for me!

I watched The Mandalorian at the weekend, now that is excellent.  High quality production for a tv show ?

I'm really enjoying Fallen Order, the lightsaber combat is some of the best there's been and the story/musical score is exactly how a Star Wars game should be.  I prefer open world sandbox games myself but have been drawn into this through my love of anything Star Wars.  I'll probably complete this time permitting in a week or so then go back to RDR2 and spend a long time in that game. 

BTW, for any Star Wars/MMO fans out there I'm still playing Star Wars Galaxies years after it shutdown.  SWG Legends has a great server community, active Devs with lots of events and updates.  Its showing its age a bit now-a-days but still well worth playing if you enjoy older style MMOs.