Gaming

SaintRam

3 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

Glad you brought up Horizon Zero Dawn. It's the best game I've bought for my PS4, £15 as well. Superb immersive game. My partner had to drag me out the house.

Wicked game that I've not finished. The biggest problem with open world games is that random encounters are tedious as feck and the story pacing is off. But in the worlds of Days Gone and Horizon the random events are written into the story. The side quests are woven in. And the world is hostile so the open world is always interesting. 

Think a sequel is planned?

15 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I've managed to avoid TLOU2 spoilers. I quickly clicked well away from anything TLOU since reading spoilers are out there. Whatever the big deal is I hope it's not just done for shock factor and actually makes sense? It's plot related? The first one is my favourite game ever so they better no ruin it! 

I'll just say that I hope the rumours are wrong then and leave it at that.

3 hours ago, Coconut said:

The biggest problem with RDR2 was the developers saying "Life as a cowboy was hard work, if we make even the simplest of things in the game a slog, it'll be more of an authentic and immersive experience",  and people eating that particular line of ******** en mass declaring it the best game they've ever played.

Nearly everything you do in the game is utterly pointless, but hey life is futile really isn't? YEAH! No, duck off.

You criticise it, you get "well you just didn't 'get' the experience" or "clearly it's not the type of game for you, you just want everything to be fast action and easy victories" or somsuch poo. No, I just know a badly engineered sinkhole when I see one.

Don't get me wrong, plenty will enjoy the experience but it is, was, and always will be a terrible game. I mean ducking hell, your main character dies and god knows how many years later you're playing as a replacement... who just so happens to have the exact same mannerisms, movement, skills (which actually have virtually no bearing on gameplay) and inventory as some bloke he had quite a vague relationship with years ago.

I didn't finish the epilogue and can't think of a single reason to go back to play it.

The original RDR was fantastic, RDR2 was not.

RDR2 would have made much more sense as a sequel rather than prequel imo. We already saw the days of the wild west dying and our character struggling to change his life. We saw him die. We basically played RDR2 before. 

The prologue had great atmosphere and for hours the game is so nice to look at and listen to. You can't deny it's initially impressive? 

Just gets to a point you can guess the next mission. Horse ride, plan it out, plan goes well, plan goes wrong, shootout against impossible odds and go home. 

Could have really pressed on with Jack Marston and explored him being an angry badass. After all the GTA games never suffered from having villains in the lead role. 

Think I like RDR2 more than you do but I didn't think it was fair that it got critical acclaim while Days Gone got a bit of a slating. One hides behind customisation and a beautiful world but they're the same game. Same issues with both. 

I was excited to hear the rumour Rockstar were doing a medieval game but turns out to be baalocks I think. They're doing a GTA. As fun as they are I think they need to start coming up with new stuff. GTA San Andreas had more features than GTA IV. And IV had more than V. 

They did set the bar for open world games. Think they'll be toppled soon. Possibly by Cyberpunk? 

Gonna go give Witcher 3 another couple of hours. 

9 minutes ago, Anon said:

I'll just say that I hope the rumours are wrong then and leave it at that.

Oh no. Now I wanna google it to see if its gonna cost me £60 to get pissed off with it! 

On 22/05/2020 at 22:40, Alpha said:

RDR2 would have made much more sense as a sequel rather than prequel imo. We already saw the days of the wild west dying and our character struggling to change his life. We saw him die. We basically played RDR2 before. 

The prologue had great atmosphere and for hours the game is so nice to look at and listen to. You can't deny it's initially impressive? 

Just gets to a point you can guess the next mission. Horse ride, plan it out, plan goes well, plan goes wrong, shootout against impossible odds and go home. 

Could have really pressed on with Jack Marston and explored him being an angry badass. After all the GTA games never suffered from having villains in the lead role. 

Think I like RDR2 more than you do but I didn't think it was fair that it got critical acclaim while Days Gone got a bit of a slating. One hides behind customisation and a beautiful world but they're the same game. Same issues with both. 

I was excited to hear the rumour Rockstar were doing a medieval game but turns out to be baalocks I think. They're doing a GTA. As fun as they are I think they need to start coming up with new stuff. GTA San Andreas had more features than GTA IV. And IV had more than V. 

They did set the bar for open world games. Think they'll be toppled soon. Possibly by Cyberpunk? 

Gonna go give Witcher 3 another couple of hours. 

Ever played Skyrim?

1 hour ago, DarkFruitsRam7 said:

Ever played Skyrim?

I tried it but couldn't get into it. I played Oblivion loads when they came out. 

I prefer games without lots of magic etc.  There looks like some cool mods on PC for Skyrim though if your a PC player. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I tried it but couldn't get into it. I played Oblivion loads when they came out. 

I prefer games without lots of magic etc.  There looks like some cool mods on PC for Skyrim though if your a PC player. 

I’m the same with you when it comes to magic, so I just avoided it like the plague in Skyrim and it’s one of my favourite ever games.

Yeah the moods are brilliant. The remastered editions they released on console allow you to use mods as well, albeit not to the same extent as a powerful PC. 

I'm not keen on the whole magic thing either. What about Kingdom Come Deliverance? At first it was a buggy mess, but I bought the royal edition which solved most of it. For such a small unknown development team I think they made a great game. If you like the medieval era.

On 22/05/2020 at 22:20, Alpha said:

Wicked game that I've not finished. The biggest problem with open world games is that random encounters are tedious as feck and the story pacing is off. But in the worlds of Days Gone and Horizon the random events are written into the story. The side quests are woven in. And the world is hostile so the open world is always interesting. 

Think a sequel is planned?

First time for a long time where a game had side quests for the benefit of story purposes rather than grinding garbage. A sequel is being made for ps5 I believe, they've been hiring developers at the studio for the sequel specifically. 

Cyberpunk will be the next game investment for me, that looks fantastic.

4 hours ago, Van De Squid said:

I'm not keen on the whole magic thing either. What about Kingdom Come Deliverance? At first it was a buggy mess, but I bought the royal edition which solved most of it. For such a small unknown development team I think they made a great game. If you like the medieval era.

I love it. It's my secret game though because I think it's really geeky. I think most RPG games are geeky aren't they. But I think it might be my favourite genre. 

Kingdom Come was terrible on release. Its had so many patches! I really hope it gets more sequels and they produce more medieval RPG's set in real conflicts 

5 hours ago, SouthStandDan said:

First time for a long time where a game had side quests for the benefit of story purposes rather than grinding garbage. A sequel is being made for ps5 I believe, they've been hiring developers at the studio for the sequel specifically. 

Cyberpunk will be the next game investment for me, that looks fantastic.

Yeah, just the very mention of side quests or random encounters is off putting now because they're done so badly. Just tacked on to give filler. 

Really interesting conversation on Red Dead Redemption 2. I was well bought into the hype when it came out and almost bought it full price. Decided against it then, but have been waiting to get it since. After reading this, I'm thinking I might not bother. I don't have much time to dedicate to a long game unless it's going to be great. And it doesn't sound good enough.

I've just finished Assassin's Creed Origins and loved it. Even though I spent 100 hours on it over a long period, it was nearly always brilliant. I didn't think it could get better after the London one, but it did. My kids got my Odyssey already too, so that one is waiting for me.

I also love Far Cry 3, 4 and Primal, so a bit Ubisoft crazy. Mass Effect trilogy also one of my recent faves. Played most the GTAs since Liberty City too and always great.

Let me know any recommendations if you also rate these games. I was gonna give Outer Wilds a go before getting stuck into AC Odyssey. Been playing Fallen Order with kids too and enjoying it.

I've always wanted to play Last of Us, but can't on Xbox.

On 22/05/2020 at 12:52, Van De Squid said:

Yep. After watching assassins creed valhalla trailer I decided to catch up on the series and brought Unity, Syndicate, Origins & Odyssey off eBay. Haven't played them since Rouge in 2014. And despite Unity being considered the worse in the series I'm enjoying it & wondering why it's took me so long to play them! Without a doubt it's my favourite gaming series. Great history lesson too! 

Syndicate is awesome. If you know London reasonably well, even more fun.

11 minutes ago, ariotofmyown said:

Really interesting conversation on Red Dead Redemption 2. I was well bought into the hype when it came out and almost bought it full price. Decided against it then, but have been waiting to get it since. After reading this, I'm thinking I might not bother. I don't have much time to dedicate to a long game unless it's going to be great. And it doesn't sound good enough.

I've just finished Assassin's Creed Origins and loved it. Even though I spent 100 hours on it over a long period, it was nearly always brilliant. I didn't think it could get better after the London one, but it did. My kids got my Odyssey already too, so that one is waiting for me.

I also love Far Cry 3, 4 and Primal, so a bit Ubisoft crazy. Mass Effect trilogy also one of my recent faves. Played most the GTAs since Liberty City too and always great.

Let me know any recommendations if you also rate these games. I was gonna give Outer Wilds a go before getting stuck into AC Odyssey. Been playing Fallen Order with kids too and enjoying it.

I've always wanted to play Last of Us, but can't on Xbox.

Have you tried Watchdogs? 

10 hours ago, Alpha said:

I love it. It's my secret game though because I think it's really geeky. I think most RPG games are geeky aren't they. But I think it might be my favourite genre. 

Kingdom Come was terrible on release. Its had so many patches! I really hope it gets more sequels and they produce more medieval RPG's set in real conflicts 

I'm just a few hours into kingdom come so a way to go. RPG style is my thing - did AC origins earlier this year and catching up on far cry series also during lockdown. 

Main grumbles so far with KC are...

- why does it play the intro story on loading every time.....takes ages

- the side quests are beginning to pile up and you don't seem to be able to choose when to pause the main storyline and finish one or two off.

That said, enjoying the realism, but it does make the action seem slow on occasion.  I keep forgetting to bathe or wash and then nobody will talk to me as I stink. Such realism.....?

Don't forget to check out the Epic Store, they give away free games each week.  Last week it was GTA5, this week its Civilization 6 - two quality games there ?

I'm looking forwards to playing Horizon Zero Dawn when it comes out on PC later this year.  I got it on my PS4 but thats since been reduced to a blu-ray player as I can't get on with the controllers - gimme a mouse and keyboard every day lol.

I enjoyed RDR2 and Fallen Jedi recently and am currently working my way through Borderlands 3 and The Outer Worlds (excellent RPG) - picked up both cheaply in the current Epic Store sale.

25 minutes ago, maxjam said:

Don't forget to check out the Epic Store, they give away free games each week.  Last week it was GTA5, this week its Civilization 6 - two quality games there ?

Thanks for that. I've only got quite a basic laptop but apparently it meets the minimum standards required to run Civilization. I'll give it a go.

5 hours ago, Van der MoodHoover said:

I'm just a few hours into kingdom come so a way to go. RPG style is my thing - did AC origins earlier this year and catching up on far cry series also during lockdown. 

Main grumbles so far with KC are...

- why does it play the intro story on loading every time.....takes ages

- the side quests are beginning to pile up and you don't seem to be able to choose when to pause the main storyline and finish one or two off.

That said, enjoying the realism, but it does make the action seem slow on occasion.  I keep forgetting to bathe or wash and then nobody will talk to me as I stink. Such realism.....?

My major gripe with Kingdom Come is the lock picking. Worst attempt at lock picking in a game. I reckon I could learn to lock pick for real quicker. 

I can't remember how I approached side quests. I'm not much one for side questing. I always think people should fetch it themselves. I don't know why RPG games thought there's a secret courier in all of us. At least Death Stranding didn't try to disguise it! 

I do love the combat though. You certainly don't feel overpowered, do you!?