Gaming

SaintRam

2 minutes ago, maxjam said:

I watched The Mandalorian at the weekend, now that is excellent.  High quality production for a tv show ?

I'm really enjoying Fallen Order, the lightsaber combat is some of the best there's been and the story/musical score is exactly how a Star Wars game should be.  I prefer open world sandbox games myself but have been drawn into this through my love of anything Star Wars.  I'll probably complete this time permitting in a week or so then go back to RDR2 and spend a long time in that game. 

BTW, for any Star Wars/MMO fans out there I'm still playing Star Wars Galaxies years after it shutdown.  SWG Legends has a great server community, active Devs with lots of events and updates.  Its showing its age a bit now-a-days but still well worth playing if you enjoy older style MMOs.

It was showing its age when it shut down! Was a good time though. I think I'd prefer to keep it as a memory. I made the mistake of going back to play Rift, I think 2 years ago - and my god does that look completely garbage now. I can't remember anything good about it any more because how jarring it was ? 

1 hour ago, SaintRam said:

It was showing its age when it shut down! Was a good time though. I think I'd prefer to keep it as a memory.

I played from start to finish when it was live and both SWFemu and SWG Legends since its been shut.  I think its fair to say Its my favourite game of all time!

I love MMOs that actually require you to work with other people, modern MMOs you can pretty much solo.  The freedom that SWG gave you to play the game your way, the crafting and resource gathering has never been matched imo.  Yeah it had its faults and it is showing its age (although you can mod it now to upgrade the graphics/sounds etc) but its still my favourite game lol.

In many ways RDR2 has a lot of similar traits, just give me an area to play in and the tools to play how I want and I'm mostly happy!

6 minutes ago, David said:

weird mood GIF

They tell good stories to each other. With r4 there ? 

TV shows are constantly making we watch characters tell each other stories that have no bearing on the narrative of the show, this isn't really any different.

Edited by SaintRam

14 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

They tell good stories to each other. With r4 there ? 

TV shows are constantly making we watch characters tell each other stories that have no bearing on the narrative of the show, this isn't really any different.

You mean the bits in TV shows which leave you wondering what was the point of that, I think you’ve just summed up RDR2

3 minutes ago, David said:

You mean the bits in TV shows which leave you wondering what was the point of that, I think you’ve just summed up RDR2

I think that's your take away from a lot of TV - for me they're (usually) all scenes that I really enjoy that in truth have no impact on the core narrative of the show; but are added to improve its quality. Which is also how I take the background conversations in Read Dead.

So yeah, it sums up RDR2 for all the different people out there.

Edited by SaintRam

2 hours ago, SaintRam said:

I'm into the epilogue now. Still loving it all.

Still walking everywhere (unless in a firefight), almost never galloping when I'm on a horse. Greeting everyone I pass, stopping to investigate whenever a random event appears at the roadside. It's so great ? 

Also @maxjam I agree about Rogue One. As far as I'm concerned my head-canon for Star Wars is the Original Trilogy, Rogue One and now The Mandalorian. As well as BioWare's Old Republic games, of course. ? 
I installed the new Star Wars game over the weekend, the genre really isn't for me. I'll probably stick it on Story difficulty and blast through it in a few hours. I hate platformers; and 3rd person action melee games - so not a great game design for me!

Could barely bring myself to ride a horse in the epilogue... that final horse riding cutscene of the main game rather tugged on the heartstrings!?

Edited by Millenniumram

5 minutes ago, David said:

Shouldn’t do, as it’s all fair for a terribly overhyped game that failed to deliver.

Not sure critical claim and multiple award wins is failing to deliver.

People who don't like the genre shouldn't get sold on hype; they should be more careful what games they play, and not blame a game for failing to pander to their tastes when it is doing exactly what it should be doing. I don't know anyone who loves the genre who doesn't love the game. Most think it's the best game ever of it.

That's successful delivery.

There are plenty of genres of games I don't buy regardless of reviews cos I know I'll think its crap no matter how good fans of the genre think it is. I think all COD games (and FPS games of that style) are bank, for example. 

Edited by SaintRam

6 minutes ago, Squid said:

I agree with the over-hyped part however personally I feel like it delivered, I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion.

I think the biggest problem with video game marketing and media hype nowadays is it really tries to convince everyone they'll love the game. Games used to stay in their lane; which lead to audience often not stepping out of a genre but games being more fairly treated.

All it does really is hurt the overall user based score systems because they talk people into buying the game who will never even begin to like it. 

Although I suppose the execs don't care - someone who buys a game and hates it makes them the same money as someone who loves it. Its only people who like the game, talking on messageboards and forums who suffer ? 

Edited by SaintRam

53 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Not sure critical claim and multiple award wins is failing to deliver.

People who don't like the genre shouldn't get sold on hype; they should be more careful what games they play, and not blame a game for failing to pander to their tastes when it is doing exactly what it should be doing. I don't know anyone who loves the genre who doesn't love the game. Most think it's the best game ever of it.

That's successful delivery.

There are plenty of genres of games I don't buy regardless of reviews cos I know I'll think its crap no matter how good fans of the genre think it is. I think all COD games (and FPS games of that style) are bank, for example. 

I played RDR1 which was a great game, little did I know Rockstar destroyed the sequel. Got £20 back though after selling it on eBay.

5 minutes ago, David said:

Oh, One Direction also have multiple awards, guess you all think their music is great as well, awards don’t lie right?

Everyone doesn't have to love something for that thing to be successful, or good, or great or even magnificent. 

You're right, I hate One Direction's music, I think it's tosh - but they have literally millions of fans including, I imagine, many who know every word in every song. So their music is CLEARLY great for their target audience.

Which is my point exactly.

Just because you don't like something that won an award doesn't mean the award has "lied"; it means the thing is not for you.

Edited by SaintRam

3 minutes ago, SaintRam said:

Everyone doesn't have to love something for that thing to be successful, or good, or great or even magnificent. 

You're right, I hate One Direction's music, I think it's tosh - but they have literally millions of fans including, I imagine, many who know every word in every song. So their music is CLEARLY great for their target audience.

Which is my point exactly.

Just because you don't like something that won an award doesn't mean the award has "lied"; it means the thing is not for you.

Let’s be honest, you play on PC so not a real gamer anyway.

shaun the sheep tongue out GIF by Aardman Animations

10 minutes ago, David said:

I played RDR1 which was a great game, little did I know Rockstar destroyed the sequel. Got £20 back though after selling it on eBay.

It's a prequel ?