Away Kit

Titus Ramble

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd love us to go back to the puma 97/98 shirt, never going to happen though. 

I know they pump money in but just eat looks stupid, wish we'd go back to Autoglass, Bombadier, Pedigree or have Umbro as the main like the old 90s training tops, Rolls Royce or JCB! 

Not a bad shirt though.

I think it was out of necessity. There's a rule where none of the parts of the kits should clash.

Its still maddeningly inconsistent - take Burnmuff, who play in red and black

2 seasons ago we turned out in our 3rd thunderbirds kit. No problem.

Last season, we turned out in all white, despite our then 3rd kit (yellow and bright blue) not clashing in any way.

oh well.

We're a Championship side, we're never going to have one of the major brands cook us up a fabulous kit.

Isn't this season's home kit unique?

I think what Umbro might be doing is giving each club a unique home shirt and then using that design for another team's away kit. For example; our away kit looks to have a similar design to Everton's home shirt. 

This kit is ok but I do miss the 90's. Next season we should go retro.

I'd say last season was supposed to be a 70's retro, and this season an 80's retro so maybe next season?

Cant say the 90's was my favourite era for kits though. The early 90's had some shockers. Liverpool have had some 90's style away kits recently and they're bloody horrible

What? If our home kit went anymore "retro" aka boring then we would actually be playing in the 80s.

I like our home shirt. Just bought one today.

Isn't this season's home kit unique?

I think what Umbro might be doing is giving each club a unique home shirt and then using that design for another team's away kit. For example; our away kit looks to have a similar design to Everton's home shirt. 

Kit manufacturers decide on custom designs, how many per club and the complexity of them, based on forecasted TV games, general media coverage etc. 

The very top teams can basically have as many custom kits as they like, but there are thresholds at sort of stages that vary from manufacturer to manufacturer to set out the rest of the clients. 

Just doing the home kit is the lowest threshold in which a team gets anything custom at all, in the past it's been largely reserved for the lower-top division teams but with Derby being one of the most televised teams in the Championship, which is in itself growing very quickly, I think it's safe to assume Derby are in that bracket.  

If Derby were to get promoted they would probably still only get a custom home shirt for at least that first season, unless they made a very media friendly acquisition or two.

Obviously, there are exceptions. When special deals are made etc. For example I imagine if the kit manufacturer is your main sponsor they'd want the shirts to be as good as possible. As it would be even more of an advert for them that it already was.

• 11 months later...

Archived