SV Meppen v Derby County

-JW-

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Decent formation. 4-1-2-1-2. Will be more central in this game, so if Clement is impressed by this when we would still need to be wary that better sides would exploit our full-backs if we don't play wingers.

Grant

Baird Pearce Shotton Warnock

Thorne

Bryson Hendrick

Ince

Martin Weimann

Sorry but I don't like the diamond formation, it's easy to play against especially if we look to dominate possession. Opposition can force us wide, leaving a huge ga in the middle to exploit on the counter.

Moreover, when they have possession, who is going to cover the wide areas? Our fullbacks could easily be doubled up on.

Then again, I don't think today is the best game to judge it. We're against a poor opposition who won't have the tactical nous or intelligence to exploit the obvious weaknesses of a diamond.

Grimsby are in the 5th tier and they scored 2 against us. It's Pre-Season, lapses in concentration happen.

The English lower leagues are a totally different beast. Much better quality in the lower leagues in this country.

Plus Grimsby know more about Derby as a club. Our history and who we are, so the players will have been more fired up against us. Meppen will just think "some English club".

Sorry but I don't like the diamond formation, it's easy to play against especially if we look to dominate possession. Opposition can force us wide, leaving a huge ga in the middle to exploit on the counter.

Moreover, when they have possession, who is going to cover the wide areas? Our fullbacks could easily be doubled up on.

Then again, I don't think today is the best game to judge it. We're against a poor opposition who won't have the tactical nous or intelligence to exploit the obvious weaknesses of a diamond.

Yep, never had that problem last season ;)

(I don't really like the diamond in theory either, just had to get my smart arse comment in)

Archived