SV Meppen v Derby County

-JW-

the sad thing is you are correct on those things. Keogh mental strength is being tested to the very limit. Imagine being in a position where you know you can not make one mistake, or have a lapse, even if you get away with it on the pitch, you will be slated by an element of the clubs support.

i would find that very hard to deal with. If mentally all you are thinking about is not making a mistake, you will make a mistake. All about inverted u theory. If I was clement I would spend all of pre season trying to get certain players (mainly Christie, keogh, grant, sammon and others working on the metal aspect, arousal levels and really drum drive theory into them.

never underestimate the mental aspect of the game and our influence on it as fans.

so as fans what should we do. E.g. sammon: expect him to miss and he will, expect him to score and he will miss. Either way he misses. No offence to him but he needs to sort himself out mentally.

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a bit concerned about "arousal levels" we don't want the lads thinking about that when there is a game going on.?

but .. That whole mental attitude and composure thing is spot on .. Self belief and confidence really makes the difference. I remember seeing a moto for a school or an army regiment .. Forget which .. "They can if they think they can" .. I could do you the Latin but then I'd be showing off 

so as fans what should we do. E.g. sammon: expect him to miss and he will, expect him to score and he will miss. Either way he misses. No offence to him but he needs to sort himself out mentally.

We need to provide the players with an environment were it is acceptable to make a mistake without the fear of it being used as a tool with which to beat you forever with"

Players who are afraid to make mistakes, give away possession, try a pass, piece of skill, take a shot will never reach the potential they have.

im not advocating blind cheering and faith no matter what, I'm just saying the sarcastic cheering of an accurate pass, shot, goal keeper kick, ironic songs for individual players is not an environment in which our players will flourish. I have heard all of that in the last 2 seasons at home games.

sammon scores were on the pitch..... Brilliant stuff lads.

players know when fans are taking the piss, booing them, jeering their every mistake and it will not make them play better at all. People say "they are paid enough, should man up" and it's rubbish.

mel Morris was spot on with his comments on what we need to do to support players and some fans will never change.

think of how you would conduct yourself under those situations.

if I was sammon, Dawkins, Christie, grant, keogh, being totally honest, I would hate an element of our support to the very core of my being for the level of abuse some of them have faced from a section of fans during their time at the club.

Its about balance .. A howler is a howler and players will expect and be able to live with the crowds disappointment.

It goes wrong when the joke gets out of hand and fans tear the back out of something out loud - players can be mentally destroyed. Equally .. Has anyone noticed that players who are seen as lionhearted never get the same level of ragged joke. 

Johnny Russell makes as many good decisions as bad ones but he is ( and is seen to be ) a full throttle player so will rarely get the fans on his back for any length of time. A classic example was Forlan at Man U .. He just couldn't score but sweated and grafted so never got heavy duty stick from the stands. 

Some of it is in the hands of the individual players and their spirit but KBB is right, we have a part to play. COYR

So their in the fourth division and some are saying they will score two goals against us , there's confidence for you.:unsure:

Grimsby are in the 5th tier and they scored 2 against us. It's Pre-Season, lapses in concentration happen.

Hopefully less & less so. In all the interviews I have read & heard the players consistently speak about trying to take on the new tactics/philosophy PC wants to use as the basis of our play. Assuming he has brought the Real Madrid philosophy I hope our lot can grasp it pretty quickly. I'm assuming the Grimsby & Northampton performances were a result of struggling with what is required. PC spoke of poor decision making after the Northampton game.

It will be interesting to see how long it takes for them to become comfortable with it.

Keogh mental strength is being tested to the very limit. Imagine being in a position where you know you can not make one mistake, or have a lapse, even if you get away with it on the pitch, you will be slated by an element of the clubs support..

Is it being tested? As things stand, Keogh is one of the first names on the team sheet as he doesn't exactly have a lot of competition in the centre back spot, so it doesn't really matter how he plays 

Archived