Clement disappointed with the attitude, running and effort

"First half we were really poor and I let the players know that at half time

"Second half, there was a marginal improvement.

"Whether we would have lost that game, drawn it or won it, as we did, I am not satisfied with the performance

"The lads have been working hard on the training ground but a lot of our basics were wrong first half, not necessarily the tactics.

"I was not happy with the attitude, with the running or the effort

Read more at http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Derby-County-Head-coach-Paul-Clement-disappointed/story-27440285-detail/story.html#1E5XqtXFsyDMLbz8.99

Refreshingly honest, but rather worrying also...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He mentioned before he came in that he has high standards when it comes to players having a competitive edge.

He touched on Ronaldo celebrating goals in training as a point that changed his opinion. I guess he's looking at his application in games and judging them to our own players. 

Russell, I imagine, is someone who is putting in that required standard but others not so. Without watching the game today it's hard for me to say, but it sounds like Hughes had another torrid game. 

He touched on Ronaldo celebrating goals in training as a point that changed his opinion. I guess he's looking at his application in games and judging them to our own players. 

Wait, he thinks that's a good thing? I can't wait to see him improve the team by encouraging everyone to be selfish, egotistical ******.

It'll do the players good to know no one is a guaranteed starter in the team now (apart from maybe Martin). Russell is forcing his way into the starting 11 for Bolton and Weimann or Ince will likely miss out. Bryson will now push Hughes and Hendrick for the starting spots, it seems Clement has faith in him. Thorne and Baird will battle it out for the holding mid spot. Clement has given Ssewankambo chances so he'll be pushing Christie and Shotton for the right back spot. Warnock and Forsyth will continue to battle for the left back spot. We've already seen a major improvement in Grant today after he came on for Carson.

The only real position that lacks that competition is centre back because Albentosa has gone and Buxton is injured. That'll hopefully change with the arrival of Shackell or whichever centre back we sign

Why did he push pre-season back by a week??

Most other championship clubs have played 3/4/5 friendlies up to now, against decent opposition as well.

I know it's very very early days been it's been an unconvincing start in my view.

I like this, and I like the fact he's put it out there. It shows that he's not going to accept mediocrity and half arsedness. 

Didnt Fergie once come out and tell an interviewer after a game that United were awful despite them winning the game which I think was a cup final? 

Not that I'm conparing the two :ph34r:

I know what he means. Tactically, it was more obviously different than from before. First half we were set up more defensively. We did the "basics" of defending okay as Carson wasn't tested with a meaningful shot, and we were set up for Northampton to go around us which they simply couldn't do. That was encouraging.

"The basics" he's talking about is presumably the general application and in particular the passing and willingness to be open for a pass. First half, I'd say there's only three obvious candidates who might have had that edge Clement's looking for; Weimann, Russell and surprisingly, Hendrick. 

I don't see why PC's already coming up for criticism though - we were a spent force at the end of last season, which we needed to forget and bury. And we rushed ourselves back last season. The extra week is not a problem in my view, nor is Clement asking for a little more now in return.

Why did he push pre-season back by a week??

Most other championship clubs have played 3/4/5 friendlies up to now, against decent opposition as well.

I know it's very very early days been it's been an unconvincing start in my view.

Eh?

I thought we started on the same day or a couple of days sooner than most? 

Unleas you can prove otherwise, I'm calling bullpoop! 

Eh?

I thought we started on the same day or a couple of days sooner than most? 

Unleas you can prove otherwise, I'm calling bullpoop! 

There was something about this in the meeedjah around the time Clement was appointed, but having sdaid that I have just scoured the old bbc article archives and not found anything. It was only a line to the effect that he had put the date the players had to report back from 22 to 29th of June as more or less his first act on appointment.

Wait, he thinks that's a good thing? I can't wait to see him improve the team by encouraging everyone to be selfish, egotistical ******.

Who's also, arguably the best footballer in the world. Selfish?, you've obviously never heard about all the money he gives to charity.

Just because he struts around like he does, doesn't make him a bad person. And don't for one minute say you wouldn't be the same if you looked like him and could do what he does.

He might be selfish as a person. He might give loads to charity. Neither have a baring on him as a player. Of course he has the ability, but to get to his level and stay there, you have to have a lot of application and the right attitude.

PC coming under fire for trying to instill excellence into the players. I like that one. 

I don't think selfishness is the issue....was it lack of desire, lack of effort, lack of quality?

pity he wasn't quizzed further on what he thought the problems were.

sometimes fozzy and christie can be sloppy ?

Who's also, arguably the best footballer in the world. Selfish?, you've obviously never heard about all the money he gives to charity.

Just because he struts around like he does, doesn't make him a bad person. And don't for one minute say you wouldn't be the same if you looked like him and could do what he does.

I meant selfish on the pitch. I'm pleased he has some money spare to give to charity though. He must've really scrimped and saved to find it, just like he did when he built a museum to glorify himself or when he commissioned a statue celebrating himself.

I'm not particularly concerned with the way he "struts around", what annoys me is the jealousy and insecurity (banning journalists from asking questions about Bale's transfer fee), and his utter refusal to accept that football is a team sport.

Archived