Clement disappointed with the attitude, running and effort

Good from PC. He's not criticized any individuals but is sending a clear message to everyone they need to up their standards. There will be huge competition for places this season as it should be and I'll be hoping to hear about a marked raise in levels as the lads embark on the Dutch leg of preseason.

The best players aren't simply the most skillful - they're also the most committed and work the hardest. That's why Real Madrid have the best record of any club side in history, including 10 European Cups. Football's littered with talented players who didn't fulfil their potential. I'm glad if an even more serious approach is being brought to Derby and those players who want to improve will buy into it.

good point, when you mentioned football's littered with players who didn't fill their potential. I can think of quite a few Derby had over the years. The last one we had was Giles Barnes.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In essence it strikes me PC is used to a more professional serious approach. Our squad under Mac was very matey with the management team. Don't get me wrong team bonding is good/essential but as I say I think there is no doubt that PC is the boss and to a degree distant from the players.

Chris Martin on rams player talks of it being "formal" so far and how he is looking forward to a little more informal talk with the coach during the Holland/Germany tour. Leads me to think that thus far they have been following strict coaching/tactics routines but as yet they are not relaxed with it.

Make no mistake this season our players have to step up a level. That's what PC means when he says he's disappointed, they haven't yet registered what's expected. It will be a shock to some.

I get what you are saying. It's pre-season. We have a new manager. The intent has increased. He is making changes. He knows more than anyone that our last 15 games last season were unacceptable. This is the time to drill the players and hard. So I am not concerned. If we can get some wins early on then great. We are 3 weeks away from the 1st league game, 4 from our first home league game. I suspect he will have them fit and proper by the first league home game. 

He mentioned before he came in that he has high standards when it comes to players having a competitive edge.

He touched on Ronaldo celebrating goals in training as a point that changed his opinion. I guess he's looking at his application in games and judging them to our own players. 

Russell, I imagine, is someone who is putting in that required standard but others not so. Without watching the game today it's hard for me to say, but it sounds like Hughes had another torrid game. 

Hughes has had no real rest in my opinion.

Why did he push pre-season back by a week??

Most other championship clubs have played 3/4/5 friendlies up to now, against decent opposition as well.

I know it's very very early days been it's been an unconvincing start in my view.

Very good point JW

There was something about this in the meeedjah around the time Clement was appointed, but having sdaid that I have just scoured the old bbc article archives and not found anything. It was only a line to the effect that he had put the date the players had to report back from 22 to 29th of June as more or less his first act on appointment.

I remember reading that. He did it to watch the videos etc.

Ronaldo did not get that six pack/twelve pack by eating tapas and lounging by the side of pools. He came from a very poor background and he has shown most of the world how to make the most out of their talent. He is a fantastic footballer and I have seen no arrogance in him to speak of. Worth the admission money if you can find it. Hat trick machine.

Let us hope that the players are not being alienated by the regime. If you do not work hard, you will not be playing for Derby County. I was extremely impressed with the desire to win games shown by Bournemouth, Watford and Brentford last season.

Why did he push pre-season back by a week??

Most other championship clubs have played 3/4/5 friendlies up to now, against decent opposition as well.

I know it's very very early days been it's been an unconvincing start in my view.

He felt that by pushing it back a week it was plenty of time for players to reach fitness and get used to how he wanted them to play. Last season players were deliberately sent into games tired as part of the fitness regime, maybe that was an issue towards the end of a long season.

Apart from hughes - who probably is tired - there is no excuse in not wanting to go out to impress the new manager.

A lackadaisical approach was evident at times last season.

Senior players who are not first choice will get disillusioned and may become disruptive. Thats why a tight squad with young hungry players may have some benefits.

Archived