Grimsby Town v Derby County

Day

Stop hating on Granty! He'll have a great season ahead and will shut you + the haters up. Go on Granty :) 

Speak English.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stopped reading at page 10, sorry.

Quick report, Grimsby barely had a touch all game, in fact the second half only the keeper probably touched the ball. Crazy couple of minutes took both chances.

Best players? Albentosa, Keogh and Sammon.

Oh and with regards to the chants, Shackell, Sammon, was all in good humour, wasn't a bad atmosphere in the ground at all even at 2-0 down. Clement gave us a wave as did Sammon. 

Great turn out from Derby, even if one bloke slept through the game, even when Derby scored.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I am driving up there. Taking a foster lad to his first ever game. Will be dining/drinking/watching cricket in the badly named Nottingham House Hotel before the game.

I take my hat off to people who foster, hope he enjoyed the game

I wasn't worried before as Grimsby was only the first pre-season game but having just watched the highlights on Rams Player I'm even less worried.

Johnny Russell scored a great free-kick and we appeared to have lots of chances. Ince, Calero, Hendrick, Albentosa, Baird and Russell had good efforts. Bent, Hughes and Ince all had good opportunities inside the penalty area but a heavy touch cost them. And Grimsby nearly gifted us an own goal.

Lots of positives in a short highlights piece.

Both goals were poor and defensively we should've done better. Clement and Peacock will know what they have to work on in training.

Watching the highlights reminded me of what I don't like about this 4-3-3 (DM) system. When we have possession in our own half both CBs go wide, the FBs push on down the line, and the DM drops into the hole. Spreads the play wide and exploits the flanks as long as we retain possession. As soon as we concede possession there's a gaping gap at the back for the opposition to exploit.

Grant- 6 calamitous mix up with shotton nearly costing a goal

Christie- 4 awful 

Keogh- 5 average

Shotton- 3 Atrocious 

Warnock- 5 average

Hughes, Thorne, Hanson- 6 

Ince- 7 usual bright spark

Bent- 5 sluggish

Calero- 7 some very good defensive work also 

Carson- 6 good claim at strikers feet and decent punch

Forsyth- 6 got forward well needs to improve final ball

Pearce and Alby- 7 solid enough

Isaac- 7 very good for first team debut

Baird- 8 MOM didn't put a foot wrong. Unfortunately I can see him becoming 1st choice RB, would he be wasted there?

Brys and Jeff- 7 both good

Russell- 8 excellent work rate as per. Brilliant free kick

Sammon- 7 decent hold up play and work rate

Weimann- 7 energetic and creative

Nope that is the position he played at WBA so my mate tells we.

Shotton  and Christie just playing the same as they did end of last season, wonder what PC made of the pair!

Baird at RB deffo

I wasn't worried before as Grimsby was only the first pre-season game but having just watched the highlights on Rams Player I'm even less worried.

Johnny Russell scored a great free-kick and we appeared to have lots of chances. Ince, Calero, Hendrick, Albentosa, Baird and Russell had good efforts. Bent, Hughes and Ince all had good opportunities inside the penalty area but a heavy touch cost them. And Grimsby nearly gifted us an own goal.

Lots of positives in a short highlights piece.

Both goals were poor and defensively we should've done better. Clement and Peacock will know what they have to work on in training.

Watching the highlights reminded me of what I don't like about this 4-3-3 (DM) system. When we have possession in our own half both CBs go wide, the FBs push on down the line, and the DM drops into the hole. Spreads the play wide and exploits the flanks as long as we retain possession. As soon as we concede possession there's a gaping gap at the back for the opposition to exploit.

True but I think any offensive style of play is going to leave you vulnerable at the back. You just have to make sure you keep possession as much as possible. When we do that we stifle teams!

True but I think any offensive style of play is going to leave you vulnerable at the back. You just have to make sure you keep possession as much as possible. When we do that we stifle teams!

Agree but under McClaren I think we were too open and gung-ho. Possible to attack leaving solid defensive shape behind. Only need to go gung-ho and open it up when chasing a game!

Agree but under McClaren I think we were too open and gung-ho. Possible to attack leaving solid defensive shape behind. Only need to go gung-ho and open it up when chasing a game!

Yeah. I think someone posted a few days ago about the 'gung-ho- approach coming in at the end of the season because we had no defence so we had to score 4 to get a win. I think we'll be more solid this year!

I've just wrote up my player ratings, which will be up soon enough, but I think there is a big swing of opinion on here. 

The first-half mirrored the last three months of last season. The back four just wasn't in tune with each other. the midfield was poor - Hughes, Hanson and Thorne lost the ball so many times. Bent had next to no service, the only time he really touched the ball was when he came into midfield. Ince and Calero worked really hard, Calero especially. 

The second-half was much improved; the tempo, the passing, the movement was a lot more in tune. I had Albentosa as my man of the match, he was a completely different beast to last season. I had him pegged as a poor footballer, but he had very good control and range of passing. I'm optimistic that he could have a part to play this season, Shackell or not. Pearce didn't have too much to do but was very solid. I'll be honest, if the season started tomorrow they would be my back two. It could and will all change, I imagine. 

Baird, as someone else has touched on, was very good too. He played the role well and reminded me of Eustace, which is the biggest compliment I could give him. Bryson and Hendrick were allowed the freedom to attack - Hendrick was the better out the two.

Russell and Weimann worked really hard and put in a lot of ground work. Sammon was decent too - he had a good touch and troubled their defence no end. He just doesn't look a goal threat. 

Archived