Grimsby Town v Derby County

Day

I have just watched the highlights on Ramsplayer for this match.First goal was scored because there were four against three defenders. Grimsby player ran to take Shotton with him and leave a gap. Shotton had to go with him.Excellent flighted ball to a Grimsby player who ran away from Keogh who was trying to cover two men. Keogh too late to ball so the other guy knocked it in. Christie stranded between two players, the first of which ran away from himand he did not follow him, he then scored. Christie was also marking two men but was slow to see the danger. Christie and keogh blaming each other. Basically not enough men back to cope with the attack.

Second goal, Keogh pass to Hughes in centre circle, the easier and safer pass was to the wing.From Keogh's body shape you could see where it was going. Hughes too slow to see the Grimsby player take it off him. Carbon copy of a goal late last season. Russell goal first class up and over the wall inside the post. 

Ssewankambo looks a lot more aware than Christie.

Second half side looked fine, not bad for a first run out.

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nope that is the position he played at WBA so my mate tells we.

Shotton  and Christie just playing the same as they did end of last season, wonder what PC made of the pair!

Baird at RB deffo

Yes pretty sure he'll be 1st choice RB. Would be solid. Just worried he won't be as influential in that position 

The voice of reason is here... http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/12/sp-derby-county-player-ratings-v-grimsby-town-andreas-weimann-is/? 

Also, on Baird, he's not a right back. He plays CDM for Northern Ireland and most of his performances last season were at LB. 

For West Brom: left back x 7, defensive midfield x 6, right back x 2 and right mid on one occasion, according to transfermrkt.

Grimsby's second was deflected away from Grant. .Pearce, Ince and Baird looked fit and sharp to me. Thorne looked a long way from being fit.Clement is not going to shjow sympathy to last year's players. he will simply pick the players from what he has seen that fit his tactics. Pearce, Weimann, Ince, Baird nd Bent will all likely start the first game. i think that we will bid £2.5m for Shackell fairly soon.

The voice of reason is here... http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2015/07/12/sp-derby-county-player-ratings-v-grimsby-town-andreas-weimann-is/? 

Also, on Baird, he's not a right back. He plays CDM for Northern Ireland and most of his performances last season were at LB. 

For West Brom: left back x 7, defensive midfield x 6, right back x 2 and right mid on one occasion, according to transfermrkt.

As Baird can kick with both feet and played at either LB or RB at the baggies, I think PC will adopt a similar position  - as Fozzy is LB and we have nobody good enough for RB - Baird can fill that role all season long.

To be honest have all the cock ups with Shotton and Christie last season and PC assessment of them yesterday they might be out. Perm or loaned either way we don't really need them they are a liability at the back.....

I've just wrote up my player ratings, which will be up soon enough, but I think there is a big swing of opinion on here. 

The first-half mirrored the last three months of last season. The back four just wasn't in tune with each other. the midfield was poor - Hughes, Hanson and Thorne lost the ball so many times. Bent had next to no service, the only time he really touched the ball was when he came into midfield. Ince and Calero worked really hard, Calero especially. 

The second-half was much improved; the tempo, the passing, the movement was a lot more in tune. I had Albentosa as my man of the match, he was a completely different beast to last season. I had him pegged as a poor footballer, but he had very good control and range of passing. I'm optimistic that he could have a part to play this season, Shackell or not. Pearce didn't have too much to do but was very solid. I'll be honest, if the season started tomorrow they would be my back two. It could and will all change, I imagine. 

Baird, as someone else has touched on, was very good too. He played the role well and reminded me of Eustace, which is the biggest compliment I could give him. Bryson and Hendrick were allowed the freedom to attack - Hendrick was the better out the two.

Russell and Weimann worked really hard and put in a lot of ground work. Sammon was decent too - he had a good touch and troubled their defence no end. He just doesn't look a goal threat. 

I know it was the first friendly, but come on it was only bloody Grimsby!

Yes, not playing well or getting a good result against non-league opposition in an early pre-season friendly is a complete rarity in the world of football.

I have just watched the highlights on Ramsplayer for this match.First goal was scored because there were four against three defenders. Grimsby player ran to take Shotton with him and leave a gap. Shotton had to go with him.Excellent flighted ball to a Grimsby player who ran away from Keogh who was trying to cover two men. Keogh too late to ball so the other guy knocked it in. Christie stranded between two players, the first of which ran away from himand he did not follow him, he then scored. Christie was also marking two men but was slow to see the danger. Christie and keogh blaming each other. Basically not enough men back to cope with the attack.

Second goal, Keogh pass to Hughes in centre circle, the easier and safer pass was to the wing.From Keogh's body shape you could see where it was going. Hughes too slow to see the Grimsby player take it off him. Carbon copy of a goal late last season. Russell goal first class up and over the wall inside the post. 

Ssewankambo looks a lot more aware than Christie.

Second half side looked fine, not bad for a first run out.

Just watched them too. Christie, Keogh, Shotton did themselves no favours sadly.

Would like to point out we also lost to Shrewsbury 6-0 in Burley days and ended up in the play off. #JustSaying #TypicalHalfFans

which is probably why we approached it like it wasn't the World Cup final.

result doesn't mater. Imagine if key players got injured throwing themselves into challenges or diving head first where the boots are flying to score a goal. "It was only a friendly" would be the cry.

cant win

disappointing  result ,however PC first game in charge and probably wanted to give as many players a run out as possible.The  stats for the game were quite impressive with the exception of no attempts on target in the 1st. Half. Ten attempts on target second half.Sure first team squad will soon materialise and start jelling within the next few weeks ,lets not be to hasty,if we had won 6 .0 we would be deluded and non the wiser of our strongest squad.Let Grimbsy have their day ,I would rather see the team develop and pick itself during close season than just banging in a shed load of goals  in preseason friendliest and nothing being learnt before the start of the season

which is probably why we approached it like it wasn't the World Cup final.

result doesn't mater. Imagine if key players got injured throwing themselves into challenges or diving head first where the boots are flying to score a goal. "It was only a friendly" would be the cry.

cant win

Grimsby we'd expect to win - without breaking a sweat.

The calamity of the defence yet again, when will we ever learn and against non league opposition a bet PC could believe it!

At least he may now see its time to move on Keogh, Shotton and Christie after all nothing has really change with the incompetence of the defence......

Grimsby we'd expect to win - without breaking a sweat.

The calamity of the defence yet again, when will we ever learn and against non league opposition a bet PC could believe it!

At least he may now see its time to move on Keogh, Shotton and Christie after all nothing has really change with the incompetence of the defence......

I don't think you understand pre season 

Archived