Announcement from the club?

mwram1973

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Has Paul Robinson called it a day playing wise ? Clement spent some time at Blackburn didn't he ? Wonder if Robinson might have impressed. Failing him, somebody from PSG or Rail Madrid or Chelsea ? Guess we'll find out soon enough.

No.

Hard to know with coaches, but for me as an ill-informed fan looking in, this is an abysmal, shabby and ill-considered move.

Hard to know with coaches, but for me as an ill-informed fan looking in, this is an abysmal, shabby and ill-considered move.

We could say the same thing about Mac.... But I wouldn't want to have a thread 1000 pages long discussing it :p

A couple of weeks ago it was announced that Paul Clement was going to revamp the Academy. I said at the time that staff were certain to go. Mel later told us that he wanted Paul to spend a good amount of time with Wassall., Therefore Wassall was not leaving. So what they said was happening has happened. How many of these staff  are going to Newcastle remains to be seen but Paul Clement wants a fresh start with his own staff. This is normal and happens after most managerial changes. There is a new plan, new staff, and new players..Now Paul Clement has got it all to do and realistically needs until Xmas to make a lasting impact. We, as fans  want an instant gelling of players, an initial winning streak and a six point lead by Xmas. Should be interesting.

When Steele first came Grant was transformed. To my mind, towards the end of last season Grant was worse than before Steele came. Many have said Grant was carrying an injury and couldn't jump. If so, it's shocking that he was allowed near the team. Rumours are that this wasn't Steele's decision and he didn't want to play Grant. But all this is rumour and supposition.

Steele is respected globally as a goalkeeping coach so I'm surprised a new coach would get rid when he's not a threat and I'd have thought would have been a wise older head to have around. And if true that, as I'd expect, he's also a mate of Peacock's.

My thoughts are that this is bad news and they're getting it out there now as they'll havea good news announcement tomorrow,probably Bridcutt, possibly Ince too.

As you say all rumor and suggestion but maybe, just maybe, that's why someone from our medical staff got let go today (bit under the radar compared to steele/ glover etc) maybe they feel he was part responsible for Grant playing when clearly shouldn't and maybe even bringing Thorne back too soon.

The fact I've used the word maybe 4 times in that paragraph shows just how much that is pure speculation though

Let's face it, we will never know the real reasons behind these moves and were they pushed or did they jump.  But it is sad in my view.  I bought into SM, Simmo and Steele because I had watched them all play for Derby, because they showed every sign of wanting to be here, because they clearly wanted the best for my team and for the players. It doesn't happen that way that often, especially given that they were good.

The way in which SM left disappointed me, but I could understand it from a Board/SR perspective.  Clement is as yet an unknown quantity.  If he's successful then he will be remembered and loved and become a positive part of our history; if he isn't then he will go, as it has always been.  But there isn't quite the level of emotional attachment to him that there is with Steele and Simmo. 

What does bother me is that this appears to be against everything that we've heard that Mel Morris wants to achieve - and I paraphrase - that Head Coaches may come and go but their going doesn't mean mass changes within the football leadership of the club.  Well today the second of the three people that have led the football side of the club for the last two years has gone, as well as the leaders of the club's second team.  

To me that sounds like some significant change and if the guys that replace them also go when Clement eventually leaves, won't that too be significant change?

It may be that they all said that they didn't want to carry on working at Derby, and that might be for lots of different reasons; it might be that Clement has said that he wants his own team around him (which might, or might not, include Simmo), which is fair enough.  But it isn't very different from what has always happened in recent years when a manager of a club has left almost any club you care to mention

Archived