Liam Bridcutt

DcFc Dyycheee

Average showpony who almost made me taste humble pie being very good for a while. There's three reasons already and last one is unforgivable!

By your own admission, he's played excellently for the majority of his time with us. An average player can not over perform for 2 seasons in a row. His dip in form was exactly that, Grant was underperforming for a short spell rather than overperforming for the rest of the time.

Also, if he was indeed carrying an injury, it makes this a little more understandable.

Carson got relegated with Wigan, seeming fairly unspectacular in the process. We've hardly signed a world-beater... Why replace Grant who has played well for us 95% of the time with Carson who does look very average?

• Replies 592
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it would be interesting to know whether the people that are willing to give bridcutt a chance here from playing poorly in a poor sunderland side, are also the same ones that arent willing to give albentosa a chance from playing poorly in a poor derby side

I am! And with good reason.

1. Bridcutt showed absolute class with Brighton, and most of us have probably seen it. Who had actually seen Albentosa at Eibar? Even the compilation videos show little more than hit-and-hope. 

2. Bridcutt is English and will have no communication issues, unlike Albentosa who speaks zero English.

3. Bridcutt has proven himself at Championship level, thus got offered a Prem move. It has worked out (remiscent of Ince) so he'll rekindle with us. Albentosa spent half a year at a virtually unknown club who were doing alright in La Liga.

4. Bridcutt has more time on his side, and will soon be reaching the pinnacle of his career, age wise.

5. Bridcutt hasn't had his chance to prove his worth in a Derby shirt.

I'd love Alby to get it together, but I don't believe we can take that risk. It's best for Derby, himself and his Missus if he goes back to Spain. Then we can use the money for Shackell - who will be the best centre half in the division next year.

(Though I wouldn't mind Ecuele Manga - is he still at Cardiff?)

it would be interesting to know whether the people that are willing to give bridcutt a chance here from playing poorly in a poor sunderland side, are also the same ones that arent willing to give albentosa a chance from playing poorly in a poor derby side

Tell me about it mate. Fickle as

1. Bridcutt showed absolute class with Brighton, and most of us have probably seen it. Who had actually seen Albentosa at Eibar? Even the compilation videos show little more than hit-and-hope. 

2. Bridcutt is English and will have no communication issues, unlike Albentosa who speaks zero English.

3. Bridcutt has proven himself at Championship level, thus got offered a Prem move. It has worked out (remiscent of Ince) so he'll rekindle with us. Albentosa spent half a year at a virtually unknown club who were doing alright in La Liga.

4. Bridcutt has more time on his side, and will soon be reaching the pinnacle of his career, age wise.

I'd love Alby to get it together, but I don't believe we can take that risk. It's best for Derby, himself and his Missus if he goes back to Spain. Then we can use the money for Shackell - who will be the best centre half in the division next year.

Good post apart from point 4 which I don't understand at all. Aren't they the same age?

For you information, both Bridcutt and Albentosa are 26, Albentosa is only about 8 months older. As such I would think that 4 isn't exactly valid. For that matter:

1. Albentosa showed absolute class at Eibar, and was a key part of them being in the top half, and was receiving praise for his efforts. Has Bridcutt managed that at the top level? 

2. Albentosa has been here for 6 months now and has settled in, I don't care how good his English is, he'll still need to acclimatise to new surroundings

3. Albentosa has proven himself at La Liga level, and was a coup when signing for us. Last time I checked La Liga was a higher standard than the Championship

4. Again, they're about the same age, about 8 months between them

5. Due to injuries and the utter collapse of the side last season, I'd argue the same about Albentosa

Personally I don't mind if Albentosa goes back to Spain, and personally I like the look of Bridcutt. However, I feel the above is worth pointing out. 

For you information, both Bridcutt and Albentosa are 26, Albentosa is only about 8 months older. As such I would think that 4 isn't exactly valid. For that matter:

1. Albentosa showed absolute class at Eibar, and was a key part of them being in the top half, and was receiving praise for his efforts. Has Bridcutt managed that at the top level? 

2. Albentosa has been here for 6 months now and has settled in, I don't care how good his English is, he'll still need to acclimatise to new surroundings

3. Albentosa has proven himself at La Liga level, and was a coup when signing for us. Last time I checked La Liga was a higher standard than the Championship

4. Again, they're about the same age, about 8 months between them

5. Due to injuries and the utter collapse of the side last season, I'd argue the same about Albentosa

Personally I don't mind if Albentosa goes back to Spain, and personally I like the look of Bridcutt. However, I feel the above is worth pointing out. 

Albentosa is younger than I thought - should have got my facts straight. But opinions are obviously subjective and I think we could do better.

By your own admission, he's played excellently for the majority of his time with us. An average player can not over perform for 2 seasons in a row. His dip in form was exactly that, Grant was underperforming for a short spell rather than overperforming for the rest of the time.

Also, if he was indeed carrying an injury, it makes this a little more understandable.

Carson got relegated with Wigan, seeming fairly unspectacular in the process. We've hardly signed a world-beater... Why replace Grant who has played well for us 95% of the time with Carson who does look very average?

That's other way to see it.

Or you could say he didn't have much to do for season and half, but when team started to struggle and he failed even more miserably than rest of the team. Not the reaction I'd want from my keeper and looks like Clement agrees with that.

That's other way to see it.

Or you could say he didn't have much to do for season and half, but when team started to struggle and he failed even more miserably than rest of the team. Not the reaction I'd want from my keeper and looks like Clement agrees with that.

Grant must have made an average of 1 match winning save per game. To say he ''didn't have much to do'' is simply wrong as I can recount countless times he pulled off amazing reflex saves.

Alternatively, Carson could have been brought in merely as backup due to Roos npt being deemed good enough if Grant gets injured?

Grant must have made an average of 1 match winning save per game.

Please read that again, and bearing that in mind, try to explain how we didn't achieve a total of 138 points.

Please read that again, and bearing that in mind, try to explain how we didn't achieve a total of 138 points.

''Match winning'' wasn't meant literally, in my mind a reflex save that denied the opposition a certain goal, not necessarily a save that won us the match.

As a shot stopper, I'm not sure there's a better keeper in the Championship. I'm surprised no one has made a compilation yet, some of his saves have been outstanding.

''Match winning'' wasn't meant literally, in my mind a reflex save that denied the opposition a certain goal, not necessarily a save that won us the match.

As a shot stopper, I'm not sure there's a better keeper in the Championship. I'm surprised no one has made a compilation yet, some of his saves have been outstanding.

Until February, I would have agreed with you.

However, over the last 3 months of the season, he made 4 or 5 absolute howlers that stick in the memory.

Until February, I would have agreed with you.

However, over the last 3 months of the season, he made 4 or 5 absolute howlers that stick in the memory.

I agree, his post February form was pretty shocking. I wouldn't be surprised if this injury rumour is true, it would explain his downward spiral. However, many fans (not directed at you in any way) are forgetting his incredible form pre-February and calling for his head based on his mistakes towards the end of the season...

I'm fairly confident Grant will bounce back from this stronger than ever. Watching interviews with him, he's always first to admit if he's made mistakes so he knows he under-performed and therefore will want to make things right.

I rate Grant far higher than Carson and i'm just hoping Grant will start the season strongly and recapture the fine form we've seen for the majoirty of the time from him

I don't hunk that I've seen Carson enough to rate him one way or the other - however, I have seen Grant, say 130 or so times and for the most part, he's been excellent - I used to rate him far higher than Campy, for instance, and better than Bywater.

Carson - half a dozen times when West Brom were on the telly, probably 3 or 4 times for Wigan, a handful of games for England - of course, everyone remembers the Kranjcar goal. I don't feel qualified enough to make a comparison - but that's not my job.

Anyone who went to Rotherham away is still having nightmares. 

According to Mel he had torn a muscle in his knee, the injury didnt allow him the height he needed on jumping to claim high balls into the box. 

I think that is a good excuse as any for his poor form, Grant is usually solid in goals and it was only an injury that stopped that.

Archived