SIGNED: Scott Carson

Ramble On

Scott Carson signing prediction   

114 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

​I wouldn't think that great saves v howlers is a 1:1 ratio for any decent goalkeeper by any stretch of the imagination, so your 'who runs out first' argument is completely flawed and not worth considering. I'm talking about errors that rip the confidence out of every single defender in front of him - and it's worth pointing out that the three I mentioned all occurred in the last couple of months of the season

​That's because Bent was playing, he's cursed i tell thee...

• Replies 355
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Grant was an absolute shambles at the end of last season, I had the misfortune of witnessing every bloody one of them first hand. His lack of commanding presence in the box and ability to dominate a situation was very poor. 

Beaten on at his near post easily against Forest and Sheff. Embarrassing wave of the ball from a crossed free kick at Rotherham. Failed to take charge and was flapping against Brum in stoppage time, his error at Wolves was the worst piece of goal keeping ive ever seen. 

Then we get onto Huddersfield away, where he was beaten at his NEAR bloody post from a CORNER for gods sake. To cap the Season off perfectly his scuffed clearance to put us in deep danger was another embarrassing moment. 

So yeah, superb isn't it! 

PistoldPete2

Don't like this signing.

Our permanent deals over the past 12 months include Shotton, Warnock, Bent and now Carson. Good grief that's a lot of money on wages for players that don't suit us.

Who is making these signings? Whoever it is, are you intent on taking us back to the Paul Jewell era? 

Players that don't suit us? Why doesn't scott Carson suit us? Doesn't suit our style of play? He's a keeper , and has played for England. Still quite young for a keeper. I agree wasn't too impressed by Shotton or warnock, but grant was making far too many howlers at the end of last season. Bent will score goals, which suits me. 

Whilst it's true Grant made some saves, we all know that in truth, the majority of keepers at this level would make them. Plenty of oppo keepers made good saves against us!  

Lots of routine saves get judged as worldies.

All keepers are expected to make decent saves and to be fair most of them do. What is needed is beyond that. Its a reliability on crosses, communication with the back four and importantly the ability to use his feet as part of the back 5. I will wait and see how Carson does regarding those areas before I judge him.

Regarding cost. I understand he cost very little in terms of a fee. Not sure what his wages will be but I doubt anything outrageous.

Not sue why some of you are getting so anti about this signing. Surely anyone could see Lee Grant crumbled at the end of last season. Not just the punches in his own net, but the dithering regarding decisions. The poor distribution from the ground. Playing out to players under pressure, miskicking clearances etc etc etc. I would imagine Paul Clement has looked at the end of the season footage and thought "Cant rely on that"!

Grants a better shot stopper ! Commands the area better ! Organises the defence better!  And makes less mistakes! 

Commands his area? Organises his defence? Makes less mistakes?? Carson must be utterly dreadful cause Grant hasn't done any of them things for some time! 

Players that don't suit us? Why doesn't scott Carson suit us? Doesn't suit our style of play? He's a keeper , and has played for England. Still quite young for a keeper. I agree wasn't too impressed by Shotton or warnock, but grant was making far too many howlers at the end of last season. Bent will score goals, which suits me. 

​Never said he didn't suit our style of play, I said he didn't suit us. We were on the verge of promotion 24 months ago, with a fresh young squad full of energy and high-tempo.

I look at our squad then and look at it now and it's worse. We've replaced fresh young players with old wage-suckers and a fair few of our younger stars now appear demoralised by the state of the club.

I know we all have opinions, but I personally don't like the way we're going with some of our signings and a part of me feels our targets were more uplifting during Clough's reign than what they are now.

And that should not be happening given the improvements we've made.

I'd like to see us go young, fresher and bring back that attacking naivity. I know it's not that bad, but honestly some of these signings remind me of the scattergun approach of big names we had under Paul Jewell.

Just because big-named players are available, doesn't mean we should seek to bring them here. They have to fit first and foremost, and I think the majority of our deas over the past 12 months simply don't.

I remember last season when discussing poty that Grant's name popped up fairly often. Even the season just gone. 

We have threads on poty so far that are not 6 months old that have plenty of mentions of Grant behind Hughes and Martin. 

I think he's been a very good keeper for us and I don't think he's finished.

After Butland's first couple of games people were calling for Grant. He's a huge step up on the likes of Bywater and Fielding. Brad Jones was pants. Roos had his moments of dodgy play this season.

Grant has been fine for a good chunk of 2 years. Think he's being judged incredibly harshly at the first instant he's had his confidence knocked. From poty contender to village idiot. 

Commands his area? Organises his defence? Makes less mistakes?? Carson must be utterly dreadful cause Grant hasn't done any of them things for some time! 

For the best part of 2 years he has. Hence all the comments for him in both years poty threads up until Bournemouth away where I agree he lost the plot there and hasn't looked the same since.

Grant had praise heaped on him up until it became heavy criticism. 

Archived