Johnny Russell

DCFC1388

• Replies 654
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not one of JRs biggest fans me - quite a wasteful player really unless he is completely on his game (yeah yeah I know, he's a character, he gives 120%, he wears his heart on his sleeve, he runs himself into the ground for Derby, yawn) but he is worth more than a £1 million that is for sure.  Depends who is coming in next I suppose, but I suspect another decent player is coming up front, and if so JR himself might be thinking do I want to be 6th choice for the front 3 positions. Probably not, and I wouldn't blame him for that.  Probably a deal to be done at £1.5/£1.75m.

God, it's going to be like a wake on here if both Bucko and JR go this summer.

Until that injury and his displacement into the role of centre forward he was our best player in 14/15. He is very underrated and 1m is a total sham of a number in that article. He's worth 3-5m and that's that but he isn't going anywhere especially to cardiff of all places.

Take the money Mr Clements 17 goals from 87 games is shocking, he has got poorer each season, so maybe time to move him on.

Tell you what, I also hate Grant, Keogh, Thorne etc because they scored even less than Russell...

How many times does it need to be said, judging a player on goals scored is moronic and shows a complete lack of understanding of the game of football!

So while Russell didn't have his best season last season, he showed glimpses of being a very good player indeed. I remember moments where he got hold of the ball and made a driving run, often from the halfway line to the opposition's penalty area, creating huge gaps for other players. That initiative is something we often lack in the team, to try something a little different if our plan isn't working. Ince is the only other player that possesses this ability.

£1m will get laughed at I would imagine by Derby. £2.5m would probably more appropriate if we were to sell to another club in the Championship.

Is there anyone in the Derby squad you do actually like? We're in the Championship, we aren't going to have a team full of Ronaldos. I think you'd be better off supporting someone like Chelsea

Nope,

He is only worth what somebody is willing to pay

We need players that prove there worth on the field, does not matter who they are or what position they play.

I agree he is a decent player -

is he great? No,

Is he the best available? No 

Could we afford to sell him? Yes

Let PC sort it out that's why he's here?

He's not been quoted as saying it, no. It stemmed from a report on Wales Online that suggested Clement himself had said he's not for sale. 

I doubt it will be that straight forward. However, I doubt Russell will leave without a Weimann-type bid. 

Possibly holding out for more money?

Hence why Cardiff are now back asking.....

Think we need him for passion aswell as ability, he seems really fired up for most (not all) games! We need a character like that, especially since ward has left now!

Passion will not get us up.........He has to prove his worth on the pitch and last season he went missing.......

Lazy journalism. Derby knock back Cardiff's approach. Derby sign a player who plays in Russell's position. Obviously means we are ready to sell because we definitely don't want a competitive squad... 2 + 2 from the journos and probably getting 5 

Take the money Mr Clements 17 goals from 87 games is shocking, he has got poorer each season, so maybe time to move him on.

He was the 2nd highest in assists last year for us, 8 according to whoscored.

Think he will be a squad player this year, a good squad player at that and a character in the dressing room, which cant be unnoted. Like his work rate and determination, although can be a little wasteful in possession at times. Happy if he stayed, but wouldn't be concerned if he left for 2/2.5...  I guess JR needs to know where he stands in the forthcoming season, and whether he's happy with that

He was the 2nd highest in assists last year for us, 8 according to whoscored.

Think he will be a squad player this year, a good squad player at that and a character in the dressing room, which cant be unnoted. Like his work rate and determination, although can be a little wasteful in possession at times. Happy if he stayed, but wouldn't be concerned if he left for 2/2.5...  I guess JR needs to know where he stands in the forthcoming season, and whether he's happy with that

would be gobsmacked If we got that for him.... £1 million tops....

In Scotland he played out wide for several seasons and went pretty much unnoticed. He was an average SPL winger - which is probably about bottom of League 1 in England. He then moved to playing as one of a front two and started scoring goals for fun. Suddenly he looked like one of the best players in the Scottish game. We bought him and started playing him out wide again. I'd say he's matured into an average Championship wide player, but we need better if we're going to get promoted. However, we still haven't seen what he can actually do in his best position. If Clement decides to play with two strikers we might yet see Russell as a key player.

So for me, sell him if we're only going to use him as a winger - he's OK, but not brilliant. Keep him if we're going to use him as a striker and give him a chance to prove his worth.

Sure he's not the best.

Sure, he's another one of the fan favourites because he works hard.

But after last season, have we not learnt that we need bodies in positions incase the others are injured?

If we sell Russell, we only have Weimann and Ince, unless this 'big signing' bolleaux ends up being another wide player. Even then, will this big signing be as happy to sit and fight for a place as much as JR does.

Only sell if we can get silly (£2.5m+) money for him.

Sure he's not the best.

Sure, he's another one of the fan favourites because he works hard.

But after last season, have we not learnt that we need bodies in positions incase the others are injured?

If we sell Russell, we only have Weimann and Ince, unless this 'big signing' bolleaux ends up being another wide player. Even then, will this big signing be as happy to sit and fight for a place as much as JR does.

Only sell if we can get silly (£2.5m+) money for him.

was going to post my views..... but the above covers my feelings about this bang on.

Russell being a fan favourite doesn't help his reputation with some on here, it's natural to not trust fan adoration that's as absolute as his.

I get if you don't think he's as good as people think he is (I'd partly agree with you), but you're a genuine moron to think it would be a good idea to sell him for a million, considering how little 1 million can get you these days.

We tend to not really have a clue about the impact of transfer fee's, but on the surface that would be a bad deal for a fan favourite and would mean we'd have to get another winger in, can't see any advantage for us here.

Archived