The 1884 Group

How do you think that can be stopped? Sing songs for longer so everyone can hear them and join in? We seem to go round songs twice then stop.

​That's why this group is a great thing. It's not a small group of mates, it's for every fan who is on social media, (initally and then hopefully beyond just online) to get involved in. It's a concept that unifies people, so people don't go to the south stand to sing with their 3 mates, they go in to sing with the 4,000 of their fellow fans. At the moment we're all in the south stand, and we're all singing, but we're not singing as a stand, if that makes sense?

The group is a statement that says "don't sing on your own, sing with us". That for me is the statement that needs stating to improve the atmosphere. At the moment, I genuinely believe we were louder in the South East corner and the half of a south stand we had, but the full south stand has got potential to do much much better than that corner ever could. Just needs to get the unity and cohesion that we had a little bit of before (due to the amount of time the singers were in that corner. I do also think time will help a lot too).

The whole reason we have a designated 'singing area' is so that people can sing and be a part of a bigger group, but we're not a bigger group yet. Everyone is still in their little clusters, and we've got to open that up and reach out to each other.

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​Definitely carry on songs for longer! How long does "we are derby" last now a days? fades out once towards the end of the second round.

​Yes, but I also do think that sometimes songs go on too long. "We are Derby" or "(insert current head coach's name)'s Barmy Army" going on for 20 minutes...sigh..... people get bored and sit down, and then there's just about 3 people still going on and on. Think songs going on too long is a detriment to the atmosphere. That's what Leeds do, shout "We all love Leeds", as if 3 people repeating the same song for an entire half constitutes a 'good atmosphere'...

​Yes, but I also do think that sometimes songs go on too long. "We are Derby" or "(insert current head coach's name)'s Barmy Army" going on for 20 minutes...sigh..... people get bored and sit down, and then there's just about 3 people still going on and on. Think songs going on too long is a detriment to the atmosphere. That's what Leeds do, shout "We all love Leeds", as if 3 people repeating the same song for an entire half constitutes a 'good atmosphere'...

​To be fair to Leeds, when i went to Elland Road this season their fans really impressed me. Much like the south stand, Leeds had a contingent of supporters behind the goal mouth next to the derby fans and they were very vocal all game. At one point they were singing about Antonucci for around 20 or so minutes in the first half, it was very loud and drowned out all the noise coming from the derby end. Sounded good aswell! You could tell from the reaction of the derby fans including myself that it was getting on peoples tits as an opposing supporter!

I see your point but in other cases, it could improve atmosphere. Maybe not with songs like "we are derby" but still :)

Song suggestion alert! let me know what you think *queue waves of abuse lol*

"I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to see Chris Martin score DA DAAA DA!"

Scottish song, by 2 scottish blokes, about a Scottish footballer, who scores goals. boom.

"I would walk 500 miles and I would walk 500 more just to be the man who walked a thousand miles to see Chris Martin score DA DAAA DA!"

Scottish song, by 2 scottish blokes, about a Scottish footballer, who scores goals. boom.

Excellent work.

​I thought @Inverurie Ram might like it. 

Just had a bit of a brain wave (not really much of one, to be honest). 

HOw about co-opting the Kolo/Yaya songs when we score? 

Chrissy...Chrissy Chrissy...Chrissy Chrissy... Chrissy Chrissy Martin!

Johnny... Johnny Johnny...Johnny Johnny... Johnny Johnny Russell!

And so on.

Has the doubly pleasing effect of pissing off Man City supporters.

Just had a bit of a brain wave (not really much of one, to be honest). 

HOw about co-opting the Kolo/Yaya songs when we score? 

Chrissy...Chrissy Chrissy...Chrissy Chrissy... Chrissy Chrissy Martin!

Johnny... Johnny Johnny...Johnny Johnny... Johnny Johnny Russell!

And so on.

Has the doubly pleasing effect of pissing off Man City supporters.

Nah, I don't like it mate...;)

​I thought @Inverurie Ram might like it. 

I like this thread a lot coz a lot of people are trying to suggest new things for our support, and that's positive and great to see on this forum. And I hope we can all be positive as supporters as I believe how important our support can be and how it can lift our players and help our great football club move forwards.

Paul Heaton says the best band that supported The Housemartins were The Proclaimers and that's good enough for me.

I've seen The Proclaimers play live a few times over the years and they play with passion. I remember pushing my eldest boy in a pram early one morning at the Heb Festival on the island of Lewis a few years back, I'd won gig, ferry and camping tickets in a competition and we noticed one of The Proclaimers out for an early morning jog, he looked rather knackered and I said to my lad, "Never mind walking 500 miles, think that one might struggle to run 5 miles, but hey ho!".........

I like this thread a lot coz a lot of people are trying to suggest new things for our support, and that's positive and great to see on this forum. And I hope we can all be positive as supporters as I believe how important our support can be and how it can lift our players and help our great football club move forwards.

Paul Heaton says the best band that supported The Housemartins were The Proclaimers and that's good enough for me.

I've seen The Proclaimers play live a few times over the years and they play with passion. I remember pushing my eldest boy in a pram early one morning at the Heb Festival on the island of Lewis a few years back, I'd won gig, ferry and camping tickets in a competition and we noticed one of The Proclaimers out for an early morning jog, he looked rather knackered and I said to my lad, "Never mind walking 500 miles, think that one might struggle to run 5 miles, but hey ho!".........

Ah, I see. I just made the Scottish link. 

I'd like some Death Cab For Cutie banners.

​…or any other song by the Bonzos. We could have:

The Equestrian Statue for Raul Albentosa

Look at me. I'm Wonderful for Tom Ince

Waiting for the Wardrobe for Chris Martin

Can Blue Men Sing the Whites for Johnny Russell's arms

Now You're Asleep for Lee Grant

I Want to be With You for George Thorne

Big Shot for Will Hughes

Hawkeye the Gnu for Craig Bryson

Fresh Wound for Richard Keogh

and of course

Mr Apollo for Sir Jake