The 1884 Group

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always think the BBG looks good in pictures when you had people making their own banners. I'm sure some of the "designs" that get thrown about are technically good pieces of design but they're soulless. You can't beat a poorly drawn ram on bed sheets stolen from the airing cabinet.

I'd rather see that sort of thing, as well as toilet rolls and chopped up bits of the DET thrown in the air rather than photoshopped images of Taribo West on medium sized flags but as long as someone's doing something, that's the main thing. The old Barmy Army/Block A group got a fair bit of criticism, a lot of it fair, but would we have the South Stand without them? Think it's time we got a new group who are more inclusive getting a few ideas rolling so good luck to them.

Always think the BBG looks good in pictures when you had people making their own banners. I'm sure some of the "designs" that get thrown about are technically good pieces of design but they're soulless. You can't beat a poorly drawn ram on bed sheets stolen from the airing cabinet.

I'd rather see that sort of thing, as well as toilet rolls and chopped up bits of the DET thrown in the air rather than photoshopped images of Taribo West on medium sized flags but as long as someone's doing something, that's the main thing. The old Barmy Army/Block A group got a fair bit of criticism, a lot of it fair, but would we have the South Stand without them? Think it's time we got a new group who are more inclusive getting a few ideas rolling so good luck to them.

We're hoping that anything we manage to do encourages people to do exactly what you've said here.

as long as it's black and white, supports the team and passes health and safety nonsense, then bring it!!

Are you definitely doing this for the first game of the season then? Let me know what pub you're meeting at before the game and I'll be there to boo you entering. 

We're meeting tomorrow to sort out exactly what to plan, then with club next week to discuss with them.

look forward to giving you the details soon to pour scorn on! :D

A quick update for you.

We met up last night and worked out our plans for the first game of the season. They will be launched on Friday along with our website which will accept donations if you would like to help financially.

We have also had a meeting with John Vicars confirmed for next week.

things seen to be stepping up!

FYI "Photoshopped images of Taribo West on medium sized flag" would be brilliant

We're meeting tomorrow to sort out exactly what to plan, then with club next week to discuss with them.

look forward to giving you the details soon to pour scorn on! :D

Ignore the uni geek.

A card display costs quite a bit! We hope to build up to doing that later in the season but it will depend on how things start off really.

We've started with smallish flags, balloons and streamers as they're relatively cheap but it still comes to £800. Bigger flags and card displays will run into high 100's, potentially thousands, depending on how big we go. Will need as many people to donate as possible.

I've met informally with a couple of people from the club, and some of the sponsors who are supportive of the idea.

Meeting them formally next week and hopefully that will be a catalyst for people if the club are officially supporting the idea.

Happy to donate, will this strickly be the display for the first game or will it be flags ect for the rest of the season?

The first £800 will go on the first game of the season, but the plan is to raise far more which can then be spent on more as the season goes along.

It would be fantastic if we could step it up every 4 or 5 games with more flags, banners, etc. Building up to the last game at home with something that blows everyone away.

Some ideas for further fund raising. Just suggestions :)

Could we not have a collection bucket at each program stand? there will be around 28,000 attending on average per game i presume? ... sounds about right. Surely if the couple thousand or so that purchase programs on match days chuck a couples of pennies in the fund raising bucket, the figure of £800 could be achieved weekly to fund future displays?

Or you could at least let fans know how to donate online? By putting the information on the back of the cards you use for a mosaic?

Maybe the club could speak about it before games via the tannoy?

Maybe have the web link printed on an advertising board around the pitch?

The 1884 group is a great idea and its going in the right direction definitely!

Exposure, exposure, exposure!

Some ideas for further fund raising. Just suggestions :)

Could we not have a collection bucket at each program stand? there will be around 28,000 attending on average per game i presume? ... sounds about right. Surely if the couple thousand or so that purchase programs on match days chuck a couples of pennies in the fund raising bucket, the figure of £800 could be achieved weekly to fund future displays?

Or you could at least let fans know how to donate online? By putting the information on the back of the cards you use for a mosaic?

Maybe the club could speak about it before games via the tannoy?

Maybe have the web link printed on an advertising board around the pitch?

The 1884 group is a great idea and its going in the right direction definitely!

Exposure, exposure, exposure!

We're going for all of this!!

Hoping we can get to £800 over the summer. We're on £75 after 3 hours, a week before payday so it's looking positive.

Then can start doing fundraising at games when people see what we're actually doing.

Archived