Paul Clement...

​Wengers first job in management - 28.95% win ratio at Nancy

Pearson's first job in management - 16.66% win ratio at Carlisle

Hughes first job in management - 29.27% win ratio at Wales

Pellegrini first job in management - 32.61% win ratio at Universidad

Pochettino first job in management - 32.92% win ratio at Espanyol

Pulls first job in management - 28.97% win ratio at Bournemouth 

​I've always felt win percentage records could be misleading. If the team you are managing, have in recent history been bad, have minimal resources, is a 'small' club... isn't your win ratio likely to be lower than that of say... the guy managing Manchester Utd or Chelsea for instance? Having a lower win ratio sometimes doesn't mean you are a bad manager... it is more likely an indicator of achieving less success. A better comparison might be to compare season-on-season win ratios by manager and by team to see if there is any deviation from the norm. That way you may begin to be able to quantify the impact (positive or negative) he had on the team.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

​I've always felt win percentage records could be misleading. If the team you are managing, have in recent history been bad, have minimal resources, is a 'small' club... isn't your win ratio likely to be lower than that of say... the guy managing Manchester Utd or Chelsea for instance? Having a lower win ratio sometimes doesn't mean you are a bad manager... it is more likely an indicator of achieving less success. A better comparison might be to compare season-on-season win ratios by manager and by team to see if there is any deviation from the norm. That way you may begin to be able to quantify the impact (positive or negative) he had on the team.

Agreed, win percentage does not show anything unless in context. For example Real Madrid could appoint me as manager and I'm sure I'd have a better win % than all of these managers in their first spell, does that mean I'm destined to be one of the greatest managers of all time? 

Agreed, win percentage does not show anything unless in context. For example Real Madrid could appoint me as manager and I'm sure I'd have a better win % than all of these managers in their first spell, does that mean I'm destined to be one of the greatest managers of all time? 

​Yes i have total faith in you

​Good point.

John Barnes' win rate at Celtic was 65.5% and he never got another job.

It's not hard though is it.

54% at Derby is bloody good.

54% at Chelsea is really bad. 

70% at Derby is legendary

70% at Newcastle is expected by the fans.

​Can't be that bloody good, McClaren had 54.26% and was sacked

First impressions of Paul Clement....

He sniffs alot......that could get irritating.

his right eye brow is a bit Sean connery or David Beckham.

wierd that he knows Sam from a previous life.

PE teachers are usualy bstrds who enjoy inflicting pain

er.............thats it so far.

boring interview as ever by colin gibson whereby he answers his own question before he's finished asking it.

should have asked him a few basics to test PCs football knowledge....

how many goals did kevin hector score?

why didn't he mention Blackburn when discussing his career?

what would you do if the goalkeeper punched it into his own net?

that sort of thing.

boring interview as ever by colin gibson whereby he answers his own question before he's finished asking it.

that sort of thing.

​"Are you bringing your own whistle and stopwatch, Paul?"

Come on, Gibson... we want the inside scoop.

that sort of thing.

You ultras are so hard to please.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2015/jun/04/paul-clement-carlo-ancelotti-derby-county

Paul Clement took the job at Derby County, his first position as a manager, following advice from his “mentor” Carlo Ancelotti, whom he worked under at Chelsea, Paris Saint-Germain and Real Madrid.

Clement had discussions with other clubs but Ancelotti helped the 43-year-old decide to become Steve McClaren’s successor at Derby, where he has signed a three-year contract. The Championship team sacked McClaren after finishing eighth last season.

Regarding taking soundings from Ancelotti, Clement said: “Absolutely. He’s my friend, my mentor, and I had a fantastic experience working with him over the years. I learned a lot and really enjoyed working with him. The way he managed me and the way I saw him manage the team and players was phenomenal. He gave me a lot of confidence when he said: ‘You should try to be a head coach, you have to go soon’.”

Ancelotti was sacked as the Real head coach, which precipitated Clement’s departure, but they led the club to last season’s Champions League. The Italian is now taking a short break due to medical reasons.

“He used to joke about: ‘When you do I think I’m going to stop?’,” said Clement. “He said he’s going to come here and watch. I look forward to him seeing the team play. He is having a small bit of surgery on his neck, he is going to get a break and live between Vancouver, Derby and Madrid.”

Clement admitted he nearly decided to become a manager following the European Cup victory. “After we won the Champions League last year I was thinking: ‘Is this the time?’ But that’s not an easy place to leave,” he said.

Clement believes when Ancelotti returns it could be in the Premier League. If so he would enjoy facing him. “I hope so. I really hope so,” he said. “That would be special. I have a great relationship with him. He loved working in England and if the right opportunity came up he wouldn’t think twice about coming back here. Carlo wants to compete for domestic honours but most importantly the Champions League. It is a very special tournament for him, it has been good to him as well. He won two as a player, three as a manager.”

Clement remains in contact with Zlatan Ibrahimovic and David Beckham, both of whom he worked with at PSG, and Chelsea’s John Terry. “John and David both sent me congratulatory messages,” he said.

Real are interested in signing Manchester United’s David de Gea and it would be a major surprise if the deal did not go ahead. Clement hinted the move may happen by admitting that Iker Casillas, the Real No1, is coming to the end of his playing days.

Archived