Paul Clement...

​Would be extremely harsh to sack someone for say failing to get up in their first season due to finishing 3rd on GD then losing the play-offs. If McClaren stays, despite sacking him in the same situation being harsh, three failed promotion attempts would point towards a change.

Although Clement has world class pedigree, he's never had this role before so of course will need to learn as he goes.

That's my point this is not the time for someone to learn as he goes

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Now I'm confused, I've always assumed myself to be an idiot( posting history confirms this), but this study seems to show by being aware of this, I'm somehow a genius.

Damn you @Penelope Pendrex, now I'm stupid and conflicted!

​Here - borrow mine.

jiflemon.jpg

Wasn't Karanka assistant manager manager at Real with Mourinho which suggests more discretion than a coach? I agree he has done an excellent job at Middlesbrough. This season is a very important one for DCFC after missing our objectives last time and for me it is a time for experience and know-how and using every tactic we can to achieve our target. This means knowing the league the players the clubs the grounds etc it's not a time for experiments the priority is results an obvious statement I know but going for a coach who's been out of the English game for three years and who played at non-league level? West Brom appointed a coach last year and then put the experienced Pulis in to save their status. That's why my choice if there had to be one would have been Rosler; top level playing experience, good foundations laid at Brentford which Warburton benefitted from, fired far too early at Wigan, anyway not going to happen now let's hope SM stays.

​Non league Paul?

Oh God, not again..................

That's my point this is not the time for someone to learn as he goes

​Well if it is Clement we're going to have to accept that. All I'm saying is if McClaren goes, and Clement comes in, the whole club, including the fans, are going to have to change their minimum expectations.

My minimum expectations for McClaren to stay would have to be promotion. Three years in a row with the squad we have would not be acceptable in my opinion. Minimum expectations for Clement would be play-offs with good football and some promising signings.

Can anyone give me a good breakdown of Clement and what he can bring to the Rams? Before this started about him, I had never heard of him before.

​Difficult to say really as hes never managed, was only ever a non league player and started out working in a school. Worked his way up starting as an academy coach and Chelsea, then Fulham before coaching at ROI, Chelsea, Blackburn, PSG and Real Madrid. Seems to have worked at all levels off the game and has had to graft his way there, my pick for the job even though its a gamble.

Definitely Clement for me, a gamble but will be better off than Warburton or Dyche

Just my £4.57

​Me too. If Mac goes it's Clement or Warburton. Would be happy with either. Don't really have a third preference, wouldn't be too sure about Dyche.

Can anyone give me a good breakdown of Clement and what he can bring to the Rams if he does come? Before this started about him, I had never heard of him before.

Was recently nominated as the best layer out of cones by no less than Zlatan! 

Also lauded by Ronaldo and Ramos,amongst others, for his ability to separate a squad into 2 by the simple device of coloured bibs.

Can anyone give me a good breakdown of Clement and what he can bring to the Rams if he does come? Before this started about him, I had never heard of him before.

​Basically everything McClaren was praised for minus the 'failures' (although I was never one to criticise him for England, Forest etc...)

Basically what Clement would bring is 20 years of experience at clubs all higher up the hierarchy than us, at the time any way. He's coached some of the best players in the world. He's coached Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Modric etc etc. Players from youth level (for example John Terry) to current day. Any PSG/Real Madrid player. He's been trusted by one of the world's best managers in Ancelotti to assist him, although McClaren was trusted by Ferguson. He will have contacts, he will also have achievements such as the Champions League under his belt.

He could be a complete failure. Then again he could be the next Mourinho (I wish). They have followed similar paths. Mourinho coached at some of the best clubs e.g. Barcelona. Started his managerial career around aged 40 and now look at him.

​Basically everything McClaren was praised for minus the 'failures' (although I was never one to criticise him for England, Forest etc...)

Basically what Clement would bring is 20 years of experience at clubs all higher up the hierarchy than us, at the time any way. He's coached some of the best players in the world. He's coached Ronaldo, Bale, Benzema, Modric etc etc. Players from youth level (for example John Terry) to current day. Any PSG/Real Madrid player. He's been trusted by one of the world's best managers in Ancelotti to assist him, although McClaren was trusted by Ferguson. He will have contacts, he will also have achievements such as the Champions League under his belt.

He could be a complete failure. Then again he could be the next Mourinho (I wish). They have followed similar paths. Mourinho coached at some of the best clubs e.g. Barcelona. Started his managerial career around aged 40 and now look at him.

​Blimey - he's going to love Cyrus Christie!

I won't believe it until he's been spotted at B&Q buying a patio set

​Especially because the weather is positively clement (yes I know it's been done, but I've added relevance)

Haven't heard anything about him in B&Q buying patio sets, but I've just bumped into him in The Range on Mansfield Road. Apparently the training ground is out of china tea sets due to an "accident" the other day. Clement was asked to stop by and pick up some more.

​Especially because the weather is positively clement (yes I know it's been done, but I've added relevance)

​I think the only thing on his shopping list for B&Q is a few bags of c(l)ement.

I'll get my coat...

Archived