Paul Clement...

No smoke without fire. Whole situation has dragged on far too long just want it resolving now

​Ah, the old 'no smoke without fire' adage - the petrol thrown onto the embers of speculation. Not seen that one for a day or two.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He only said that when the season was over. He needed to say it months ago when the speculation came out!

​Wrong.

The end of season message was pretty much the same as the quotes below in January (through Rush) and April, just reported differently. The message from McClaren has always been "I've got a contract and a job to do. Newcastle is Speculation. I'm honouring my contract unless something changes" - even at the end of the season it was quantified with 'at the moment' which in football is as far ahead as you're likely to get!

Now, it might turn out (if he does leave, which I actually fully expect him to do) that these quotes were infact mistruths

What people actually seem to be craving is for them to have lied harder, but at the same time if he does leave then the same people will be up in arms that they've lied - the club can't win.

...the club's chief executive Sam Rush has gone on the record to reassure Rams fans.
"Steve is totally focused on the future at Derby and there's no question whatsoever of him leaving," Rush told the Derby Telegraph. "I'm aware there's a lot of speculation about Steve at the moment. He regards it as speculation and completely dismissed it." Rams chief operating officer John Vicars also took to Twitter to say: "Steve is 100% committed to the club and going nowhere."

Himself in April:

Reports this week have been more specific by suggesting a deal could be done in the summer and said Newcastle would have to pay £2m in compensation to land McClaren.
Asked if he was frustrated by the ongoing speculation, McClaren said: "I don't read the newspapers, I only hear it occasionally from people who tell me, but not many people do.
"It is football, it's newspapers and it is that time of the season.
"Our focus is on Watford on Friday, and then Wigan on Monday, and the big April we have got ahead."
Does he have any idea where the information in the reports is coming from?
"Absolutely not," said McClaren.
"We are focusing on doing a job here, we know where we want to go, and that is the main aim.
"We said from day one we have got a job to do here, we are focused totally on that.
"Everything else is irrelevant and speculation."

​I'm pretty sure that's what I heard him say a couple of times.

​Only a couple? There's the problem then.

He should have it emblazoned in neon lights outside the Toyota stand, or on one of those searchlights like the bat symbol that Commissioner Gordon uses to summon Batman.

​Only a couple? There's the problem then.

He should have it emblazoned in neon lights outside the Toyota stand, or on one of those searchlights like the bat symbol that Commissioner Gordon uses to summon Batman.

​Macman? Purveyor of truth and justice? The least he could have done was shave off the tuft and get a ram tattoo on his shiny noggin.

Sorry but when it's all over papers and bookies u see my point

​It has been for the last 4 months - nothing's changed.

Basically newspapers will take a scattergun approach - they don't have to be right all the time, just every now and again, and their #ITK faithful will subscribe to their sausageter accounts for ever more.

The current situation seems to be a snowball effect - newspaper A may or may not sniff something, newspaper B haven't a clue but will re-word newspaper A's story, adding their own speculative embellishment, then a group of the gullible will suck it all in like a bucket and add their own 30 or 40 pages of observations on a message board, respond to tweets etc. Newspaper A see this and add a bit more, then somebody will say "No smoke without fire".

People generally (not all, I emphasise) are idiots without the ability to think for themselves. There are some notable exceptions (to the 'people are idiots' rule) - strangely enough many of them are ones I disagree with quite strongly, but let's not go there.

Archived