What Needs Improving

ramit

How can we improve from this season that started so promising and ended so dreadfully?  IMO it's down to two factors.
 It's hard to keep momentum going when faced with such numerous repeated injuries as the team suffered this season.  Was it bad luck or was it because of the training methods employed, or perhaps a bit of both?  In any case i suspect the training, fitness and physio work needs looking at.

A few times this season we have been in a position to drive home our ambition to win the league and each time we have taken our foot off the gas. i pointed to a lack of a winning mentality earlier and received a bit of stick for it as we were still in a relatively good position but as the season went on this trend of losing our hunger when leading the pack became more and more evident.  i think this is a problem that needs serious addressing.  The team needs more of a killer instinct, a ceaseless hunger, arrogance and determination to really succeed and be well prepared for a place in the Premier League.  These are not qualities that can be instilled or trained into a player, he either has them or he does not.  i am sure that some of our players have these attributes, but the ones most lacking in them need identifying and shipping out to be replaced by ambitious and influential players.  Some of the players may have enough of these qualities but lack the self belief to incorporate them into their game and this the coaching staff can identify and individually address and i am sure they plan to.

We all want Derby to succeed.  This is just my opinion as a fan of areas that seem most in need of improvement.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How can we improve from this season that started so promising and ended so dreadfully?  IMO it's down to two factors.
 It's hard to keep momentum going when faced with such numerous repeated injuries as the team suffered this season.  Was it bad luck or was it because of the training methods employed, or perhaps a bit of both?  In any case i suspect the training, fitness and physio work needs looking at.

A few times this season we have been in a position to drive home our ambition to win the league and each time we have taken our foot off the gas. i pointed to a lack of a winning mentality earlier and received a bit of stick for it as we were still in a relatively good position but as the season went on this trend of losing our hunger when leading the pack became more and more evident.  i think this is a problem that needs serious addressing.  The team needs more of a killer instinct, a ceaseless hunger, arrogance and determination to really succeed and be well prepared for a place in the Premier League.  These are not qualities that can be instilled or trained into a player, he either has them or he does not.  i am sure that some of our players have these attributes, but the ones most lacking in them need identifying and shipping out to be replaced by ambitious and influential players.  Some of the players may have enough of these qualities but lack the self belief to incorporate them into their game and this the coaching staff can identify and individually address and i am sure they plan to.

We all want Derby to succeed.  This is just my opinion as a fan of areas that seem most in need of improvement.

​Yes, we surely did miss Martin, Bucko and Eustace.

Our defending has been poor all season (apart from the run of clean sheets) 

better communication on the field

the ability to see out games, I'm on,y guessing but the amount of points we lost in the last 5 minutes may well have seen us go up automatic 

on a plus note the attacking has been top notch

​and an almost fanatical devotion to the Mac :-)

​Is this where someone says "Nice red uniforms" and I respond with "That's Forest talk"?

move the ball faster. 

Slow passing along the back is for resting and defending and killing tempo. 

McClaren said yesterday or the day before that tiredness and injuries were the reason  we ended up playing square and backward passes and lost tempo.

I'm glad he thinks that it was too slow. I'd be worried if he chose to talk about having more control etc. 

move the ball faster. 

Slow passing along the back is for resting and defending and killing tempo. 

McClaren said yesterday or the day before that tiredness and injuries were the reason  we ended up playing square and backward passes and lost tempo.

I'm glad he thinks that it was too slow. I'd be worried if he chose to talk about having more control etc. 

Nothing to do with fatigue....we were doing it all season.

1 formation and tactics -

adjust so that the defence is set up to defend

move the ball forward more quickly

2 better recruitment

some players signed are not good enough

Play players in the correct position. Too many times this season have I seen Hughes/Hendrick and sometimes Bryson as deep as Keogh to receive the ball. Since last season the shape has been tampered with and those darting forward runs we saw last season from Bryson are gone as if the midfield is attached to a 20 yard piece of string from the centre circle.

Towards the end of the season 1 or 2 touch became 4 or 5 and everything got very predictable. 

New formation. Which means someone up top with Martin who can also score, we've been majorly found out.

As you said getting in some strong and influencing players that can pick the side up, instead of everyone stood around looking at each other after we concede.

Better defending and better defenders. Someone who would be a real thread with his headers. Deep enough squad. Ability to use plan B formation when needed.

Fans behind the team at the time they least deserve it.

A policy of periodically refreshing the coaching and backroom set-up.

Why would we expect something majorly different if players are rotated but they are being trained, coached, cared-for and set up to play by an identical group of individuals year in year out. How are we to get new thinking into our play?

​Absolute ********.

If it's our fault. If fans are really that important, how about they start offering us the same monetary incentives the players get?

​They do. Early bird discount Last year 50% discount if we went up.

Archived