Barker has left the club

Day

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Barker was always going to struggle to be first choice here again, especially after three years out. 

Rawson and Hanson are coming through, too, so it just makes sense.

Barker will want to get playing again, hopefully regularly, so it was always the end of his time here. No surprise. 

I wish there was room for sentiment in football.

I nearly dare not say it, but I'm gutted that Shaun has left and really feel that after he's put himself through what he's put himself through another year wouldn't have done any harm.

Not pleased at all with the first two decisions of the post season.

​Paying someone for 3 years for not even kicking a ball was enough sentiment for me.

In one thread you are not happy because you think we should have done better with the money we have spent, in another thread you are not happy because we have released 2 players who were not really in the managers plans but you would have been happy for us to carry on paying their wages anyway...

​Paying someone for 3 years for not even kicking a ball was enough sentiment for me.

In one thread you are not happy because you think we should have done better with the money we have spent, in another thread you are not happy because we have released 2 players who were not really in the managers plans but you would have been happy for us to carry on paying their wages anyway...

​It's Shaun Barker GStar, I'd make an exception for him

here we go again with people looking for things that aren't there.

it's doing my head in.

The lad was nearly crippled playing for the club. The lad worked his balls off when everyone thought he might not even walk properly again.

I'd make an exception for him.

Is it going to be like this every time I comment?

I have my favourite players, for my favourite players I act and think a little differently than for those players I don't feel so attached to.

That's Barker covered. He was my favourite Derby player of ANY of the Clough or McClaren signings.

as for Ward, I've got to justify that as well?

Ward would be in MY squad, hence ME being disappointed he's released. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way. I don't try to force anyone to feel the same way.

Christ on a bike, is it any wonder I stopped posting. I dread to think how you'll react if I speak my mind if either Bryson or Buxton leave.

I'll get it in early just in case. I don't want to lose either of those two and I'll be disappointed if they go.

Is that alright?

it's doing my head in.

The lad was nearly crippled playing for the club. The lad worked his balls off when everyone thought he might not even walk properly again.

I have my favourite players, for my favourite players I act and think a little differently than for those players I don't feel so attached to.

That's Barker covered. He was my favourite Derby player of ANY of the Clough or McClaren signings.

Ward would be in MY squad, hence ME being disappointed he's released. I don't expect everyone to feel the same way. I don't try to force anyone to feel the same way.

Christ on a bike, is it any wonder I stopped posting. I dread to think how you'll react if I speak my mind if either Bryson or Buxton leave.

I'll get it in early just in case. I don't want to lose either of those two and I'll be disappointed if they go.

Is that alright?

​fwiw, I agree with you on most of this post, if not all. I would genuinely have cried emotional tears of joy had Barker made enough recovery and pulled on the Derby shirt again. There was nothing about him I ever could find fault with, and I wish we had a Barker or two in the squad now, I doubt he'd have allowed us to choke, regardless of manager and team-mates.

As for Ward, I agree, but see both sides. In the last few weeks, I have been critical that as a team, we have been too nice, and we needed a nasty passionate streak, which for me, Ward has in abundance. I don't know how fit he was during the run in, but if he was fit, McClaren for me has made a howler or two in not picking him, whilst letting the uncommitted Lingard on the pitch. The other side is, we don't know who is lined up to come in, hopefully it's someone more reliable (in terms of availability) than Ward, for that reason, I have to trust the decision.

I really like Barker and wish him all the very best for the future.

However, I do believe it's for the best that he moves somewhere where he has a clean slate and can be a talismanic figure.  He's at a point where I don't think he could do that at Derby, I'm afraid.

And, as for sentiment, I really liked Dave Langan and he's down on his luck.  Doesn't mean we should give him a contract.

it's doing my head in.

Is that alright?

​Wow, easy Ronnie, only trying to open a bit of debate!

Just interested why you would make an exception for anyone who has probably earned more in 3 years (doing nothing) than I will probably earn in my lifetime?

Think you are getting a bit sensitive regarding people responding to your posts. Would you not agree that referring to the wage bill as a negative in one thread and then advocating paying someone £'000s for no contribution in another thread is slightly hypocritical?

I loved Barker as a player but part of football is that players get injured or lose form and move on to other clubs, I do not want to think that my season ticket money is being spent on a players wages because he had some good games a few years back!

You certainly do not have to justify anything to me or anyone else on the forum, however, if you do not want anyone to debate the points you are making with you maybe you should make that clear?

​Wow, easy Ronnie, only trying to open a bit of debate!

Just interested why you would make an exception for anyone who has probably earned more in 3 years (doing nothing) than I will probably earn in my lifetime?

Think you are getting a bit sensitive regarding people responding to your posts. Would you not agree that referring to the wage bill as a negative in one thread and then advocating paying someone £'000s for no contribution in another thread is slightly hypocritical?

I loved Barker as a player but part of football is that players get injured or lose form and move on to other clubs, I do not want to think that my season ticket money is being spent on a players wages because he had some good games a few years back!

You certainly do not have to justify anything to me or anyone else on the forum, however, if you do not want anyone to debate the points you are making with you maybe you should make that clear?

​I didn't refer to the wage bill as being negative GStar, I said that I thought the money had been wasted on CERTAIN players. I personally think it would have been worth 250k for one year to keep SB around, christ how much did we waste on Leon Best?

Perhaps I am getting sensitive again but it's frustrating for me having the same half a dozen posters (of which you aren't one) come back with garbage responses, when if any of you look, I'm one of the few on here who DOESN'T want change.

I'm not calling for anyone's head, I'm not calling for players to be replaced. I'm not laying blame all over the shop.

Mistakes have DEFINITELY been made but the last fella made mistakes as well. I understand and accept mistakes need to happen.

If you want I'm happy to go through the signings I think have been good and the signings that I think were a waste  of money.

My gripe isn't that the wage bill has increased or that the transfer budget has increased, it's that we've signed a couple of players who I don't think were any better than those already here and that despite (RASH) promises from the we're still in the same division having spent a fortune (by our standards) and now we're letting go some of my favourite players, players who have contributed much more than Shotton, Whitbread, Warnock, Alben bloody tosa.

I don't want change, I don't like change, I thought the squad he inherited was good enough to go up and now I see it potentially being dismantled and I don't have the same trust that you have that the replacements will be better based on what I've seen come through the door so far.

Barker hasn't dpent three years doing nothing.

he's spent three years having numerous operations, and working his nuts off to get fit again.

he was injured - through not fault of his own - playing for derby county.

yet he doesn't get an opportunity to say goodbye or a merit award or even a thank you from the club at the awards night.

Not our finest hour.

​I didn't refer to the wage bill as being negative GStar, I said that I thought the money had been wasted on CERTAIN players. I personally think it would have been worth 250k for one year to keep SB around, christ how much did we waste on Leon Best?

Perhaps I am getting sensitive again but it's frustrating for me having the same half a dozen posters (of which you aren't one) come back with garbage responses, when if any of you look, I'm one of the few on here who DOESN'T want change.

I'm not calling for anyone's head, I'm not calling for players to be replaced. I'm not laying blame all over the shop.

Mistakes have DEFINITELY been made but the last fella made mistakes as well. I understand and accept mistakes need to happen.

If you want I'm happy to go through the signings I think have been good and the signings that I think were a waste  of money.

My gripe isn't that the wage bill has increased or that the transfer budget has increased, it's that we've signed a couple of players who I don't think were any better than those already here and that despite (RASH) promises from the we're still in the same division having spent a fortune (by our standards) and now we're letting go some of my favourite players, players who have contributed much more than Shotton, Whitbread, Warnock, Alben bloody tosa.

I don't want change, I don't like change, I thought the squad he inherited was good enough to go up and now I see it potentially being dismantled and I don't have the same trust that you have that the replacements will be better based on what I've seen come through the door so far.

​There are definitely a lot of points I agree with in this post, unfortunately spending another £250,000 on someone that is very unlikely to contribute anything to the cause is not one of them so guess that is where we will just have to agree to disagree.

Now if the argument was do I think a half fit Shaun Barker would be of more use to us than Albentosa....

Barker hasn't dpent three years doing nothing.

he's spent three years having numerous operations, and working his nuts off to get fit again.

he was injured - through not fault of his own - playing for derby county.

yet he doesn't get an opportunity to say goodbye or a merit award or even a thank you from the club at the awards night.

Not our finest hour.

​He was on the pitch before the Reading game presenting the player of the year award, every man and his dog were pretty much aware that he would not be coming back next season.

And he did not get a thank you from the club? I'm pretty sure he did and I would have thought the indebtedness would be the other way round after receiving wages for the last 3 years when in none of them years was he ever going to be fit to contribute

Not sure if it is common knowledge or not, I understand from a contact at the club that Barkers agent had made an error in or had forgotten to renew his insurance. So when he had the injury he was absolutely screwed if it hadn't been for the club. Therefore despite being a massive Barker fan, don't think the club has done anything wrong at all.

I wish there was room for sentiment in football.

I nearly dare not say it, but I'm gutted that Shaun has left and really feel that after he's put himself through what he's put himself through another year wouldn't have done any harm.

Not pleased at all with the first two decisions of the post season.

It's a hard one Ronnie...

I agree with the aspects of sentiment.

But dare I say it... For purely business reasons I can see why they are letting him go.

know it upset some... But I think the Rams have just about made the right decision.

Archived