Barker has left the club

Day

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Twitter fans not happy.

33 in September, 3 years out injured. Sorry but the club has stood by him, helped him return to fitness but as a club we've moved on.

Do we need another Riggott now?

Our defence needs stregthening, we want promotion. We haven't got the games for a fairy tale ending.

If we're giving chances out to prove themselves Rawson and Hanson should be at the top of the list. 

Love to be proven wrong and with him also tweeting the Championship is his target will be interesting to watch. Wish him all the luck, expect he will find it tough finding a Championship club, pay as you play League 1 would be a releastic target. 

A few more tweets of interest. How do you embed tweets like the first post?

Copy the link to the tweet, paste in the editor, press enter, wait a few seconds and it will embed

Shaun BarkerVerified account ‏@barks5

I've been ready to step up to 1st team football for a few weeks now and with a pre season under my belt The Championship is my target.

He's being polite here, he said a "couple of months" when we asked him on Monday!

I think we all saw it coming, and I doubt there is anyone here that doesn't wish him all the best

I wish there was room for sentiment in football.

I nearly dare not say it, but I'm gutted that Shaun has left and really feel that after he's put himself through what he's put himself through another year wouldn't have done any harm.

Not pleased at all with the first two decisions of the post season.

As Daveo said, no room for sentiment but at the same time part of me wonders if he might have been worth a 1 year contract.

The club has played a huge part in his rehabilitation though so I hope he's not bitter in any way about not getting a bittersweet ending here.

I'm pretty sure he will be playing Championship football next season.

shame we couldn't have thrown him on at 3-0 down to Reading and given him a proper send off, would have been the only positive from that day! 

but football is football, i just hope we bring in some top quality defenders for next season! 

As Daveo said, no room for sentiment but at the same time part of me wonders if he might have been worth a 1 year contract.

The club has played a huge part in his rehabilitation though so I hope he's not bitter in any way about not getting a bittersweet ending here.

I'm pretty sure he will be playing Championship football next season.

​then you'd have another players around the club who would be unhappy at not being involved. McClaren was never going to pick him.

Steve obviously wants a clean slate , in his eyes get rid of the "deadwood"  , its unfortunate barker got injured but i really doubt he could regain his levels, hes 33 now league 1 would be a safe bet for him

I wish there was room for sentiment in football.

I nearly dare not say it, but I'm gutted that Shaun has left and really feel that after he's put himself through what he's put himself through another year wouldn't have done any harm.

Not pleased at all with the first two decisions of the post season.

​I think this is actually better for everyone. Barker's really going to struggle to get a game next season, even if he starts it fully fit. He's getting on a bit, and I presume we'll be strengthening.

It's a shame that we couldn't throw him on for the last game, although we ourselves were miles off being able to do that. At what point, though, does the sentimentality hamper both parties?

Barker needs to find another club where he can be a leader, and play games. He hasn't got too many seasons left in him, probably only a couple with what's gone on.

Keeping him on for another season where he'll probably be in and out of the team for the sake of a standing ovation seems overly sentimental to me. 

Archived