Raul Albentosa

rad1919

You don't comfortably play in la liga if you're a donkey. . . Watch this space, he will be our best defender next season, 100%. Like others have said, he's in a brand new country, hardly speaks the lingo, he's playing on the wrong side, got an absolute donkey next to him whos a terrible captain! no wonder he's not having the best of times! He probably looks round and thinks "wtf have i done??!!" 

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Best is a word I could not use for any Derby defender this season - he has been shockingly poor for the majority of it 

PFA TotY says different, although it came as surprise to most of us I reckon.

I'm sure he's better than he's shown so far.

To be honest - I don't think the problem is the individual players - the defence as a unit has never been right this season and has disintegrated as the pressure come on. And that's coaching and confidence. If they'd been any kind of cohesion or understanding we'd have been OK with the players we actually have.

I agree with others in this thread that he will come good next season. He needs to play in the right cb position where he is comfortable. People say this doeesnt matter but even john terry struggled when he played as a rcb instead of a lcb. Doesn't help that he  was introduced into an awful defence

Hopefully he's got 3 mates at Eibar that might be free if Eibar get relegated.

In all seriousness, he spent most of the game looking at his defensive partners as if to say "what the san Miguel are you doing??"

Along with 30,000 people in the stands

I wouldn't write him off, but I am interested to know what you people have seen that makes you so confident he will come good. I'll do a quick recap of what I've seen so far;

- Lacks pace.

- Not a good passer of the ball, unless it's a five yarder to Keogh.

- Does not read the game well.

- Not confident in possession.

I agree that a dozen or so games in English football is too early to judge a player and I hope he comes good next season, but from what I've witnessed there's much more hope than expectation.

I didn't know his wife had gone home, I hope it isn't health or personal problems.  An unhappy player will never be a great player so I hope the club help him through this.  Whether you think he will be a decent player or not wish should all hope for the best.

I find it quite funny to see people on here professing to see some hidden gem.

If this guy was from a lower league English club he would be getting slaughtered (like Keogh and Christie).

The minimum I would expect from a professional footballer is for them to be competent with both feet.

I agree that a dozen or so games in English football is too early to judge a player and I hope he comes good next season, but from what I've witnessed there's much more hope than expectation.

​A dozen? Try 6 - that's how many league games he's started.

Add half an FA Cup tie and one subs appearance and you're still not really reaching "a dozen or so"

I wouldn't write him off, but I am interested to know what you people have seen that makes you so confident he will come good. I'll do a quick recap of what I've seen so far;

- Lacks pace.

- Not a good passer of the ball, unless it's a five yarder to Keogh.

- Does not read the game well.

- Not confident in possession.

Not sure how you judge pace. Is he as fast as UsainBolt? No, but is he faster than 50% of CBs in this division, yes. Easily. 

As for the other three you mention, you would argue that ALL Derby players in the last 2 months have been guilty of poor passing, not reading the game well and being less than confident in possession, and some of those have been here ages, but don't let that spoil your scapegoat-whingeing. 

And likewise the people talking up Albentosa are the people slating Keogh (who has been much the better of the two)

Equally embarrassing

​much better? like like saying dying of cancer is better than dying of aids. EVERYONE has played ****. Face it!

​much better? like like saying dying of cancer is better than dying of aids. EVERYONE has played ****. Face it!

Anyone who reads my posts will know I am not a fan of Keogh but yes he has looked much better than Albentosa in my opinion.

Being a professional footballer and unable to play with both feet is embarrassing in my opinion...he is from Spain though so best cut him a bit of slack

Not sure how you judge pace. Is he as fast as UsainBolt? No, but is he faster than 50% of CBs in this division, yes. Easily. 

As for the other three you mention, you would argue that ALL Derby players in the last 2 months have been guilty of poor passing, not reading the game well and being less than confident in possession, and some of those have been here ages, but don't let that spoil your scapegoat-whingeing. 

​Please explain how I'm scapegoating Albentosa. At no point have I suggested that our poor performances were down to him alone. I simply asked what other people have seen in him that I've missed.

I'm hoping that most of these deficiencies are due to being shoved into a poor and unbalanced defence that were already low on confidence. Those mitigating circumstances could easily explain away my latter 3 complaints.

Archived