Who will we get in Playoffs . I hope its Boro.

Curtains

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't give a toss about who we play. Norwich have battered us in both games but come unstuck, especially in the away game where we played like a bunch of paraplegics.

Middlesbrough have conceded possession to us in both games, and both occasions, we've been terrible. The team we had out for the home game was our all-time low point, though, I think we had 10 or so players out injured. A strong team, hopefully with Thorne and Martin back, I'd fancy us quite a bit.

I'd chop me nad off to see Thorne, Buxton and Martin back in the team for the semi-final fully fit and rearing to go.

​he meant playing Ipswich isn't possible (in the semi)

"Our best hope it to avoid Boro. We will obviously give any team we play at least two goals per game. Boro have only conceded 37 all season. We simply won’t be able to score enough against them to make up for our disastrous defending."

"Didn't Fulham just put 4 past them? Not impossible to score goals against Boro."

Not sure what you mean @Mostyn6, I think I understood what was meant perfectly...

If things stay as they are - Ipswich match or better our result and Boro match or better Norwich's result - there will be no change. Same applies if Norwich better Boro's result, but we beat Ipswich's result.

8/5 - Derby vs Boro
9/5 - Ipswich vs Norwich
15/5 - Boro vs Derby
16/5 - Norwich vs Ipswich

​And there I was hoping for a sober May.

Our best hope it to avoid Boro. We will obviously give any team we play at least two goals per game. Boro have only conceded 37 all season. We simply won’t be able to score enough against them to make up for our disastrous defending. Hopefully we’ll get Ipswich in the semis and Norwich in the final.

I don't think that's possible.

Didn't Fulham just put 4 past them? Not impossible to score goals against Boro. 

​sorry @fridgeless thought you were referring to this.....

Unfortunately I've got my pessimistic hat on, so I can't see us beating Boro or Norwich over two legs.  Not while Schteve seems incapable of picking a back four that compliment each other and the team's tactics & coaching them to actually defend.

Even if the highly unlikely were to happen and Jake, George & Chrissy Wissy were all fully match fit I reckon we'd struggle.

I've alreadt consigned myself to a summer of wrist-slashing as our top five players are sold off...  To Newcastle!!

Unfortunately I've got my pessimistic hat on, so I can't see us beating Boro or Norwich over two legs.  Not while Schteve seems incapable of picking a back four that compliment each other and the team's tactics & coaching them to actually defend.

Even if the highly unlikely were to happen and Jake, George & Chrissy Wissy were all fully match fit I reckon we'd struggle.

I've alreadt consigned myself to a summer of wrist-slashing as our top five players are sold off...  To Newcastle!

​Given injuries in the defence. What system would you choose if you were McClaren then? I think you are correct in saying he is incapable of picking a back four that compliment each other.

However only because he doesn't have any options at all where the players compliment each other.

Also how can a coach teach someone how to defend in a few weeks. That takes years to perfect. You can't coach mistakes out of players. 

I've alreadt consigned myself to a summer of wrist-slashing as our top five players are sold off...  To Newcastle!!

​the same Newcastle that won't really spend money on English players?!?!

​Given injuries in the defence. What system would you choose if you were McClaren then? I think you are correct in saying he is incapable of picking a back four that compliment each other.

However only because he doesn't have any options at all where the players compliment each other.

Also how can a coach teach someone how to defend in a few weeks. That takes years to perfect. You can't coach mistakes out of players. 

​No, but apparently you can coach mistakes into them in a manner of weeks. :D:(

​I'm not a Schteve hater by any stretch but he's had 18 months to work with the defence and can you say that, collectively, it's any better the night we drew with Ipswich 4-4???  Also, it's not hard to argue that it's the defence that's (potentially) cost us promotion this year.

​It isn't so much about teaching people to defend, they are all reasonably experienced players who at sometime or other have had decent runs of defending well. To me, the problem seems to be more about organisation and discipline within the defensive duties. At the moment we have little or no cohesion between the players and that should be able to be remedied within a very short time by any coach of McClaren's experience. Why hasn't it happened? That is another question :unsure:

​It isn't so much about teaching people to defend, they are all reasonably experienced players who at sometime or other have had decent runs of defending well. To me, the problem seems to be more about organisation and discipline within the defensive duties. At the moment we have little or no cohesion between the players and that should be able to be remedied within a very short time by any coach of McClaren's experience. Why hasn't it happened? That is another question :unsure:

It starts Saturday. 

Archived