RIP Colin Bloomfield

-JW-

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I never met Colin but he was one of those who you just knew was one of the nice guys.

Every interview I've heard with Colin over the last few months has rarely been directly about himself but wanting to spread the message of taking precautions against sun exposure, especially by the younger generation and that says it all about the man.

R.I.P.

I wonder if the club would consider something like naming an executive box  or room at the ground The Colin Bloomfield suite to help keep his memory alive.

I never heard any of his broadcasts but I've just been on the Radio Derby site to read about him and one of the photographs of him in particular made me think "He looks like one of life's good guys" 

Very sad.

So sad, will miss his chats with the weather girl about Neighbours, used to wind me up until I realised he'd never get to do it again , hope we do it today for him, Shrewsbury never a proper team to follow anyway, rest in peace Colin.

I wonder if the club would consider something like naming an executive box  or room at the ground The Colin Bloomfield suite to help keep his memory alive.

I never heard any of his broadcasts but I've just been on the Radio Derby site to read about him and one of the photographs of him in particular made me think "He looks like one of life's good guys" 

Very sad.

​you're not wrong there. He was commentator after Ross Fletcher, but took 'time out' when he discovered his cancer, and was replaced by the current setup. He was commentator for maybe 2 or 3 seasons I think, could've been longer. But when you religiously listen to Radio Derby commentary when you cannot attend the match, these people become part of your life, and you feel like you know them.

Lots of people love Graham Richards for his style and charisma, but I think Bloomers was the first to bring his actual personality into the broadcast. We learned things about his life during commentary and he set the trend for all the 'banter' you hear now from Ramage and Ed. 

Very sad day for Derby. I hope his name rings out on the terraces today, always a Ram amongst us. Come on Derby, let us stuff the Lions for Col!

such a sad loss, huge respect for him, the way he conducted himself through his cancel fight was humbling. 

I remember when he got criticism for his early commentary efforts he thanked people for their feedback and said it was valuable to help him improve, no matter how bad those comments were. What a great guy. 

Bore his illness with such courage, fortitude and humour. 

Condolences to all his family and friends - there'll be tears no doubt, at his passing, but the family will also have pride in the way he conducted himself throughout this terrible disease.

RIP Colin.

Archived