RIP Colin Bloomfield

-JW-

No one should be taken at such a young age - absolutely heartbreaking news. I hope his family can take some comfort from the fact that he was such a popular and respected presenter on RD and among Rams fans everywhere. RIP Colin.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember in his very early days as commentator I heavily criticised him on here.

Not long after I received an email from the man himself apologising for his mistakes and pledging to try his very best to improve, asking if I had any suggestions on how he could improve. I was only about 17 and he truly valued my opinion.

I was in awe of him from that moment, I replied stating I had been quite harsh and apologising myself, for he was learning in a new job and wanted to be the best he could possibly be and make everybody happy.

The man was the definition of inspiration. A kind and caring soul, taken far too early.

RIP Bloomers.

A very sad day indeed. Colin fought his cancer with such dignity. A Shrewsbury lad who became Derby's adopted son and very much a part of the Derby Family forever. 

I really feel for his mum who has lost her husband and her son in a year. 

If  you only do one thing today please donate to his charity

Just in from the 'wall and was informed of Colins passing via text during the match.

Most of what I know of the man has been gleaned from this forum as i very rarely get to listen to Radio Derby.

The comments here have brought a tear to my eye. I joined in the applause at Wembley and would do so again of course. From all that has been written I am tinged with a bit of regret that i didn't know of him a little better.

Thoughts to his family and to his memory. RIP

Heard this sad news on the bus en route to today's match and the atmosphere was very subdued. Proud of the fans' chanting his name throughout the match and pleased that his Shrewsbury were promoted today.

I listened to him regularly on Radio Derby over the last few months when he was well enough to work and he was always positive and never felt sorry for himself. 

His courage and fight have inspired many. 

The fundraising for The Colin Bloomfield Melanoma Appeal has gone over £75,000 which I think is testament to the kind of man he was, doing his best through his own experiences and pain to try and help others with his school Sun Safe awareness campaign.

It would be brilliant, and fitting, if the club allowed collection buckets around the ground before KO on Saturday, I hope this gets suggested as part of the money raising efforts, loads of fans would contribute I bet.

Archived