McClaren wants to keep Ince next season

Curtains

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not quite sure what to think about Ince.

The guy has obviously got talent, and can create goals out of nothing. But his all-around game is pretty poor. He looks a passenger at times and he's not as good defensively as Dawkins or Russell. Plus I'm not convinced he fits in our system - he's not as effective on the wing as he is behind the striker, and I think it's imperative that whether McClaren stays or goes, we stick with the 4-3-3 that has had us playing so well. He's basically this season's Bamford, for me.

All in all, if we stay down, I think he'd be an effective player to have at this level. If we go up, I hope we don't go near him. I think he'd be found lacking if we were up against it, a bit like Christie and Forsyth have been this season.

Ince, on loan from Hull City, scored the first and last in an eight-goal thriller which saw Derby twice come from behind to seal a precious point in the race for a SkyBet Championship play-off place.

McClaren said: "If we hadn't got Tom Ince and others in January we wouldn't be in the top six. He has scored goals and created them and he is my type of player.

"I think he's been good for us and we've been good for him. I haven't spoken to Steve Bruce but we would like to keep him."

Ince put the visitors ahead in the 16th minute with a 25-yard cracker before three goals in seven minutes at the end of the first half put Huddersfield in control.

Oscar Gobern shrugged off a suspicion of handball to smash home his first goal in over three years in the 38th minute before left-back Reece James, on loan from Manchester United, produced the perfect corner for skipper Mark Hudson to head home at the back post.

In stoppage time James, a threat from corners throughout the game, made it 3-1 straight from the flag kick after keeper Lee Grant came for it and missed.

Nahki Wells saw a chance to make it 4-1 smash against the face of Grant and Derby took advantage as goals from substitute Simon Dawkins and Jesse Lingard made it 3-3 just after the hour.

Huddersfield went back in front at 4-3 when Wells looped a shot high into the net but Ince grabbed a point 10 minutes from time.

Town also had the ball in the net twice but the efforts were ruled out for offside.

McClaren was left tearing his hair out at his side's defending and said: "It was a crazy game.

"We started well, got the goal and looked in control but three goals in seven minutes cost us.

"We had to win the second half and we showed unbelievable character and fight to stay in the game but we are not going to get anywhere this season if we keep conceding goals like we have been doing.

"We are crawling over the line and we don't make it easy for ourselves. For the neutrals it was great, for the managers it was a nightmare and for the fans it had ups and downs.

"We need one more win and that's our only focus but the way we are defending at the moment anyone could beat us. We are not in a good condition but we are scrapping."

Town boss Chris Powell hailed his players and said: "It was a terrific performance at times but Derby were clinical. My goalkeeper didn't have a save to make!

"Half-time killed our momentum when we were on the front foot and the big turning point was the ball in the face save from Nahki Wells which would have made it 4-1.

"We gave the ball away a couple of times and these details you have to eliminate.

"We had two goals disallowed as well and we more than matched a side who could be playing in the Premier League next season."

Huddersfield stretched their unbeaten run to five matches and Powell added: "People say we have nothing to play for but the players showed they care about this club and their own performances.

"It's a shame we didn't get the three points that our first-half performance warranted but we are building for the future. We can do better and that's the message I will be getting through to the players.

"Hopefully we can add two or three more players in the summer to help us."

Does he fit Newcastle's style? 

It's a good question. When asked to play as his preferred position of Right Wing, he tends to do something in a game - Blackpool, to some extent Palace. At teams when he has been asked to play Right midfield (further back, more defensive responsibility, lots of up and down the wing) he hasn't been anywhere near as effective - Forest, Hull.

Newcastle's current system incorporates wide men, but who knows what system their new manager will play. 

I'm not quite sure what to think about Ince.

The guy has obviously got talent, and can create goals out of nothing. But his all-around game is pretty poor. He looks a passenger at times and he's not as good defensively as Dawkins or Russell. Plus I'm not convinced he fits in our system - he's not as effective on the wing as he is behind the striker, and I think it's imperative that whether McClaren stays or goes, we stick with the 4-3-3 that has had us playing so well. He's basically this season's Bamford, for me.

All in all, if we stay down, I think he'd be an effective player to have at this level. If we go up, I hope we don't go near him. I think he'd be found lacking if we were up against it, a bit like Christie and Forsyth have been this season.

​I think Ince is a similar player to Bamford.

I would consider him to be a luxury player. He's not essential to our system of play or team by any stretch but he possesses that extra bit of quality which means he can create moments of brilliance, moments which separate games.

I rate him more highly than Bamford though, I think he's an all round better player and on his day, one of the best in the league. The fact is: he can have a fairly insignificant impact on a game but then suddenly pop up with a goal. 

I'd love to have him next season, and Lingard, although I accept he is less likely.

Interesting quote from the article is:

"I haven't spoken to Steve Bruce but we would like to keep him."

McClaren showing his intention to be here next season??

​Could this now kill off all the rumours from the media about him being nailed on Newcastle bound. It is also possible that SM had a meeting or phone call with the people from there and didn't like what was on offer and what their plans were.

​Could this now kill off all the rumours from the media about him being nailed on Newcastle bound. It is also possible that SM had a meeting or phone call with the people from there and didn't like what was on offer and what their plans were.

​Or as Newcastle fans seem to think. Newcastle haven't agreed a deal with Mac. 

We need to get Ince here for next season. You don't dismiss players within your reach that score like he does. For how long did we talk of that 20 goals a season player. This lad is one of them. He does offer us something off the ball too. He wins the ball back, tracks back and defends. 

Interesting quote from the article is:

"I haven't spoken to Steve Bruce but we would like to keep him."

McClaren showing his intention to be here next season??

​I'd be surprised if he responded with,

" Well I couldn't really care less where Ince ends up because I certainly won't be here next season, he can retire for all I care." haha

But I don't think he is going anywhere anyway

I can't think of any player that's worked as hard as him since he signed. He's been fantastic for us, but surely - unless we get promoted - he can do better than us? 

Incredibly talented lad. Fantastic attitude and just wants to get his head down and play. 

He he makes the rest of our wide players look bang average. 

I'm not saying McClaren is definitely off, but that doesn't really tell you anything does it? Anyone can blag it and pretend to give a flying one about the clubs future and then bugger off.

You folks are too trusting. Not nearly good enough at being two faced yourselves obviously.

I reiterate, I'm not saying that IS what he's doing. But he could be. Quite easily. Now release the iron grip on the straws.

Archived