Odds on the next Derby County manager

Ambitious

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1 mcclaren - better the devil - he seens to me back tracking and trying to mend a few fences

2 jimmy floyd - we like to get our managers from Burton

whoever is manager we are facing a big task this summer to sort ourselves out.

Altho tbh i'm not sure a coach is exactly what we need.

We need someone who can sort the wheat from the chaff, quickly.

someone who has the judgement to make some big decisions regarding who stays/goes 

someone who can man manage the team and quickly gain the respect of the players

someone who can deal with the pressure from the fans without cracking 

I was listening to TalkSport on the way to work last night and they had their north east correspondent on talking about McClaren/Newcastle and he was saying it's a done deal, been negotiations going on for some time but most interestingly he also said Toon fans he'd been talking to wanted Dyche above McClaren. 

keeper - new keeper required ? Big decisions to make re granty and roos.

right back - another right back required , altho keep christie too?

left back - a young exciting left back has been a requirement since.....chris powell left?

centre half - new centre half? Big decisions to make re shotton, albentosa, buxton, etc 

centre back - see above. Big decision to make re keogh

holding mid - new? George may be a bit part player next year due to fitness issues. big decision re eustace

centre mid - will Will Hughes still be here?

centre mid - dig decisions required re bryson, hendrick and dawkins

left forward - new? Ince? Big decision re wardy

right forward - russell? 

Centre forward - presumably martin. What are we going to do regarding bent? Cover required.

we need to promote some of the u21s to the bench - if they are deemed good enough.

we need to sort ourselves out, chose our best 11, trim the squad and stick with it.

Too much rotation seems to have had a negative effect on the squad and we have lost our way.

Some of those who don't feature will have to be moved on, and 

1 mcclaren - better the devil - he seens to me back tracking and trying to mend a few fences

2 jimmy floyd - we like to get our managers from Burton

whoever is manager we are facing a big task this summer to sort ourselves out.

Altho tbh i'm not sure a coach is exactly what we need.

We need someone who can sort the wheat from the chaff, quickly.

someone who has the judgement to make some big decisions regarding who stays/goes 

someone who can man manage the team and quickly gain the respect of the players

someone who can deal with the pressure from the fans without cracking 

​JFL fits the bill...................but not sure he would leave  Burton..     Above all else he 'tightened things up at the back' and understands that teams have to be flexible ie have their own style of play BUT have to modify it according the to opposition. You CANNOT play the same way every game !    SM should talk to him !!   And he is a great family man like the Cloughs......... .

I posted in the Paul Clement thread that he was at Morley Hayes last week. I am not sure the golf course is THAT good that you would fly in from Madrid for it. He could be visiting Omar but seems unlikely to me anyway, so could be something in it. 

McClaren to Newcastle has been obvious from day one. I think it's only the wish it wasn't true that had clouded peoples judgement of the situation. 

I think a coach is fine, as long as the coach has the ability to disassociate when needing to make big decisions. The biggest criticism of McClaren as England boss, was that he was to pally with the players and wanted to be everyone's mate, rather than separate himself from the group in order to make difficult decisions without guilt. 

I posted in the Paul Clement thread that he was at Morley Hayes last week. I am not sure the golf course is THAT good that you would fly in from Madrid for it. He could be visiting Omar but seems unlikely to me anyway, so could be something in it. 

McClaren to Newcastle has been obvious from day one. I think it's only the wish it wasn't true that had clouded peoples judgement of the situation. 

I think a coach is fine, as long as the coach has the ability to disassociate when needing to make big decisions. The biggest criticism of McClaren as England boss, was that he was to pally with the players and wanted to be everyone's mate, rather than separate himself from the group in order to make difficult decisions without guilt. 

The england job was too big for him. He had no authority over the players and was sucking up to the media.

If he is off to Newcastle then clearly a few people have told alot of porkies. 

The england job was too big for him. He had no authority over the players and was sucking up to the media.

If he is off to Newcastle then clearly a few people have told alot of porkies. 

​I think there have been a lot of porkies told, and I think that is more of a season underminer, than the fact he is going. 

keeper - new keeper required ? Big decisions to make re granty and roos.

right back - another right back required , altho keep christie too?

left back - a young exciting left back has been a requirement since.....chris powell left?

centre half - new centre half? Big decisions to make re shotton, albentosa, buxton, etc 

centre back - see above. Big decision to make re keogh

holding mid - new? George may be a bit part player next year due to fitness issues. big decision re eustace

centre mid - will Will Hughes still be here?

centre mid - dig decisions required re bryson, hendrick and dawkins

left forward - new? Ince? Big decision re wardy

right forward - russell? 

Centre forward - presumably martin. What are we going to do regarding bent? Cover required.

we need to promote some of the u21s to the bench - if they are deemed good enough.

we need to sort ourselves out, chose our best 11, trim the squad and stick with it.

Too much rotation seems to have had a negative effect on the squad and we have lost our way.

Some of those who don't feature will have to be moved on, and

​I'm struggling to convince myself you're going over the top with this assessment. Hopefully whoever comes in will galvanise the current squad and we'll get a few players back to there old selves (and therefore saving the need for a complete overhaul!).

​I'm struggling to convince myself you're going over the top with this assessment. Hopefully whoever comes in will galvanise the current squad and we'll get a few players back to there old selves (and therefore saving the need for a complete overhaul!).

I'm saying that there are big decisions to make as to most positions, and whether the incumbents are good enough.

i'm not saying we necessarily need a massive clearout......but we need sorting out.

​Unfortunately I think an overhaul is required. A fair few players have shown their true colours when the going gets tough. 

If we are still in the ChampionshipI would be OK with new GK, RB & new right centre back although I would assume that Albentosa could take that role. Plus of course replacing or signing the loan players. If SM is still here then an additional experienced coach.

If we are still in the ChampionshipI would be OK with new GK, RB & new right centre back although I would assume that Albentosa could take that role. Plus of course replacing or signing the loan players. If SM is still here then an additional experienced coach.

​if we are still in the championship next season, we will need to bin half of the team, they will have the mental scars of bottling it - twice!

Goalkeepers: Lee Grant and Kelle Roos

Defenders: Cyrus Christie, Isak Ssewankambo, Ryan Shotton, Richard Keogh, Jake Buxton, Ferrand Rawson, Raul Albentosa, Craig Forsyth, Stephen Warnock and Max Lowe

Midfielders: George Thorne, Will Hughes, Craig Bryson, Jeff Hendrick, Jamie Hanson, Alban Bunjaku, Callum Guy and Tom Koblenz

Wingers: Johnny Russell, Simon Dawkins, Jamie Ward, Ivan Calero, Afele Santos and Mason Bennett

Strikers: Chris Martin and Kwame Thomas

---

In the Championship we would be okay with that squad, obvious holes need to be fixed but people calling for an overhaul may be left feeling sorry for themselves if it was to happen. I'd say 30% of signings - 1 in 3 - turn out to be good, 40% average and 30% bad. The odds fluctuate with an increased budget, but It's not a risk I would be willing to take.

If anyone was to leave from that squad then I'd like to see them replaced - sure. In terms of new bodies...

I'm fairly happy with our goalkeeper situation. Grant has hit a rough bit of form but has been good overall while Roos looks an exciting prospect.

In defence, it's difficult due to the amount of bodies, but I'd like to see another left sided CB come in. I mentioned Dunk before on a free - he'd be ideal. A right back should only be looked at if he's Wisdom-esc. Christie could be a good player for us with more coaching and confidence. Forsyth, too. If Warnock was to move on then I'd like to see a left back come in.

In midfield, the key signing for me this summer is a defensive midfielder to replace Eustace. It has to be someone of a similar with experience. Thorne is obviously the first choice but if he plays 46 games next season then I'll run the London Marathon. 

Another CM needed as well, perhaps, to fill the void left by Mascarell.

Outwide, I would like to see a top quality wide midfielder through the door. Ince would be the dream but someone even close to him would be great. I fancy Ward to leave and Calero to step up in his place.

Upfront, I think we need probably two new faces. I don't think we can rely on Thomas but he deserves a full pre-season around the squad to show what he can do. Let's face it a lot less rated players have taken to the Championship a lot quicker.

Priority:
Defensive midfielder
To replace anyone that leaves.
Striker
Winger
Centre Back
Right Back - Left Back
Striker
Centre Mid
Winger
Goalkeeper

Archived