Odds on the next Derby County manager

Ambitious

Can someone explain to me what is so great about Dyche.?

I'm seriously missing it. 

​He picked a shoddy Watford side off the deck and stabilized the club.

He got Burnley, one of the teams with the smaller budgets in the championship, promoted automatically.

He is still in with a chance of keeping Burnley in the Premiership despite having such a laughably small budget that he was unable to temp players away from Derby in the summer.

• Replies 254
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That list of failed managers makes me cry.

I wouldn't be surprised if we went abroad for a relatively unknown coach to work within the current system.

​McClaren was a failed manager, though. A football manager is a bizarre thing. It's almost impossible to predict who will do well and why. 

It depends on the players already there, the personality clashes and what kind of manager is needed for the job. 

I have reservations about picking a plucky manager who has 'done well with what he's had' and picking one that's failed in a past job. However, to get one that hasn't done at least one of those things at our level is almost impossible. 

​Surely that's the equivalent of saying Ancelotti has just carried on what Mourinho started at Real Madrid.

Is there any proof Warburton didn't sign the players? I've been wanting to know this, as they've made some great signings.

But I think it's harsh labelling it as beginners luck. He got them promoted, not Rosler, and took them to the brink of the playoffs in his first season in the Championship.

He sets the team out to play a certain way, he trains them, he works with the players on a daily basis. I don't thnk any average Joe could do what he has done.

Yes he might not do so well elsewhere - a number of managers fail to replicate form elsewhere and slightly outside their comfort zone. But I think that's harsh what you've just put.

Why don't we get that Adie Boothroyd in, or that Iain Dowie? Phil Brown?  Nigel Worthington? Ian Holloway? They've all done better than Warburton!  Bring Paul Jewell back. What about Megson?  

All these over achievers at small clubs are are destined to fail here with what our fans expect. 

McClaren leaving is a done deal with promotion or not and has been for some time. Appreciate everything he has done for us, but the talk has definitely unsettled people at the club and had an effect on the field.

We need a modern day, forward thinking manager (as is McClaren) to replace him. Would be happy with Warbuton and even though extremely unrealistic Eddie Howe. Both got 2 clubs playing fantastic football this season. The likes of Lambert, Poyet, McCleish, Ferguson would be a disaster and a huge backward step. Also, huge NO to Paul Simpson. Loved him as a player and happy he is involved in the coaching staff, however terrible record as a Number 1. Not got the personality for me.

I just hope as soon as the season finishes it all gets resolved quickly so we can build for next year whichever division we are in.

Up The Rams!

Why don't we get that Adie Boothroyd in, or that Iain Dowie? Phil Brown?  Nigel Worthington? Ian Holloway? They've all done better than Warburton!  Bring Paul Jewell back. What about Megson?  

​That's not really a fair argument is it? Warburton has only been a manager for less than 2 years.

All these over achievers at small clubs are are destined to fail here with what our fans expect. 

​It's hard to say. 

You can take a chance on a manager who has done good stuff in the past but has recently failed - like we did with McClaren. 

You could also take a chance on an upcoming manager who is yet to disappoint at any level - like Warburton. 

Unless we're promoted it's unlikely that we will have the chance to have both. Most managers will fail sooner or later - I guess it's your own judgement on who has achieved the most and who will be available. 

He got Burnley, one of the teams with the smaller budgets in the championship, promoted automatically.

He is still in with a chance of keeping Burnley in the Premiership despite having such a laughably small budget that he was unable to temp players away from Derby in the summer.

​The nucleus of the Burnley side are Eddie Howe's players aren't they?

​The nucleus of the Burnley side are Eddie Howe's players aren't they?

​Yes. There's two ways of looking at that though. The other is that Dyche took a lower mid-table championship squad, spent money on only one player (Ashley Barnes), and got them promoted.

In my opinion Paul Clement would be a good choice.

He's experienced in football without having any failures as a manager, because he's never been one. He's been at Real Madrid, worked with some of the best coaches and players in the world which can only be a positive thing.

As his next management job would be his first management job, his abilities are going to be judged a lot on how he does. That's why I think we'd be a better bet that teams linked, or previously linked to him for example Sunderland and QPR. As a first time manager the last thing you need is one job, one season, one relegation. How about one job, one season, one promotion?

I'm sure the decision to send Omar here wasn't a one man decision, so Clement probably had input and therefore should think a lot of us as a club and should have been able to gain regular contact to check up on Omar. So overall I think he would be a good bet for us.

Regarding the Warburton arguments and saying he only carried on Rosler's work is nonsense. Yes a lot of the players were brought there by Rosler but he's been there one and a half seasons, how many changes do you expect? Obubajo, Pritchard, Judge, Jota and Andre Gray were all signed by Warburton and have all contributed a great deal to their success so that argument is the same as saying Clough is to thank for our past two seasons. Aka it's utter nonsense.

​I just look at the squad of players he has and the performances they put in. It bends the logic of football.

The only bad thing I would say regarding Dyche is that he's the one that put the team together. He won promotion and then went and signed Marvin Sordell. 

I'd be very hesitant about his transfer policy, but as a coach I think he's done a great job with a poor side. 

In any sense, he's achieved a lot more with Burnley than McClaren has with Derby. 

Owen Coyle got Burnley promoted. They were 16th when he took over. Holloway got Blackpool up.

He's won 38% at both his jobs. He's going to get relegated.  He plays ugly football. 

They're Burnley not The Mundy Arms. 

Owen Coyle!!! Brian McDermott has a higher win percentage at Reading than Dyche has had anywhere.

People turn their noses up at Holloway and Warnock... They've pissed all over Dyche. Warnock multiple times. 

Newspapers hype Dyche and everyone buys into it. Look for yourselves. Ugly losing football. 

Winning promotion with Burnley isn't a sign that Jesus is born. He owes most of that to an incredible start and then they saw it out. Like a good version of Pearce.

I'm not saying he's pants. I'm saying there's no reason to be up his ****other than because a newspaper tells us he's good.

A newspaper would say Redknapp is better than AVB.

Owen Coyle got Burnley promoted. They were 16th when he took over. Holloway got Blackpool up.

He's won 38% at both his jobs. He's going to get relegated.  He plays ugly football. 

Owen Coyle!!! Brian McDermott has a higher win percentage at Reading than Dyche has had anywhere.

People turn their noses up at Holloway and Warnock... They've pissed all over Dyche. Warnock multiple times. 

Newspapers hype Dyche and everyone buys into it. Look for yourselves. Ugly losing football. 

Winning promotion with Burnley isn't a sign that Jesus is born. He owes most of that to an incredible start and then they saw it out. Like a good version of Pearce.

I'm not saying he's pants. I'm saying there's no reason to be up his ****other than because a newspaper tells us he's good.

​Probably, but he's still achieved more with Burnley than McClaren has with Derby. 

I just don't think we're in a position to stick our noses up at a manager like Dyche. We're not going to get a manager that everyone is happy with, just like when we hired Clough, Davies, McClaren, Brown....etc In fact, I think Jewell has been the only manager where the 99% were happy and look how that turned out. 

We could hire a man off the street and he could win the league with more than 100 points, we could hire a manager who was in the Champions League and find ourselves in the bottom 3 (bonus points if you get to who I am referring)

Hiring a manager follows little to no logic. Steve McClaren could quite easily fail with Newcastle, as did Allardyce. 

​I just look at the squad of players he has and the performances they put in. It bends the logic of football.

The only bad thing I would say regarding Dyche is that he's the one that put the team together. He won promotion and then went and signed Marvin Sordell. 

I'd be very hesitant about his transfer policy, but as a coach I think he's done a great job with a poor side. 

In any sense, he's achieved a lot more with Burnley than McClaren has with Derby. 

He picked a shoddy Watford side and won 38% of the games and since then they've managed fine without him. He basically did what Nigel did here but it was a smaller job. I think Zola took them up a level? Where are the people up his arse?

He then achieved promotion with Burnley like Owen Coyle did when he took them from 16th to the PL. 

He did it playing a different style to everything that is in place here. 

Why no calls for Coyle or Holloway. Why do people turn their noses up at Warnock? 

​Probably, but he's still achieved more with Burnley than McClaren has with Derby. 

I just don't think we're in a position to stick our noses up at a manager like Dyche. We're not going to get a manager that everyone is happy with, just like when we hired Clough, Davies, McClaren, Brown....etc In fact, I think Jewell has been the only manager where the 99% were happy and look how that turned out. 

We could hire a man off the street and he could win the league with more than 100 points, we could hire a manager who was in the Champions League and find ourselves in the bottom 3 (bonus points if you get to who I am referring)

Hiring a manager follows little to no logic. Steve McClaren could quite easily fail with Newcastle, as did Allardyce. 

Well I'd rather have Mac than Dyche. You can measure achievements however you like. I think the last couple of years have bee  rather good and I don't see how Dyche has shown he's better. With finishing second with poor ickle Burnley?

What about Aidy Bothroyd ?  He got Watford up. 

Also, just thought that isn't the reason Warburton is leaving Brentford is because he doesn't want to work in a European style head coach, director of football approach? Isn't that what we have here?

​I think that's part of it but Warburton knows he his stock is high at the minute. 

I'm not saying it will be here but I imagine a few clubs will take a look at him this summer and prepare to double, triple... quadruple his pay at Brentford. 

Brentford have already earmarked their manager/head coach for next season, too. 

Archived