The self-fulfilling prophecy of doubt

Mostyn6

Whilst the season isn't over yet, and technically it's still in our hands for 2nd place, I feel kind of annoyed at certain people, I won't name names, but some on this forum, some in the boozers, some in the stands, have been guilty of bringing this doubt onto the club.

I personally (have already said that I) don't really care if we get promoted, I'm favouring on the side of staying in the Championship and having a few seasons of enjoyable football. I think I'm in a minority on that one, but don't understand why. Promotion equals trouble for us, we would go from competitive to strugglers, but that's another debate for another day.

For the most part of this season, when Derby have been doing well near the top of the league, a lot of Derby fans have been forgetting to enjoy the then present, instead worrying and predicting how and when it will all go wrong, some even worrying that Martin might get injured and we will struggle.... well guess what, it's become a self-fulfilling prophecy... damn you!

It would be almost ironic if I was to predict some negative things happening at Derby in the next few months, such as management, coaching staff and players leaving, but should that happen, I just hope a lot of you don't regret missing out on the good times we've had over the last 18 months because you were too busy fretting over the future.

I have no doubt that the anxiety, unwarranted in the real scheme of things, had drifted down to the players with every moan, groan and nail bitten. I think had everyone been living in the then present, and enjoying the good stuff, we'd be on the crest of the wave and confidence would be high. There was never this amount of anxiety, doubt and naysaying in the Billy Davies season ffs!

I cannot tell people how to be a fan, you pays your monies, you takes your choice. 

I would hope we (as fans) develop a "what will be will be" attitude for the rest of the season, and let the anxiety drift over to our rivals. I haven't heard or read any of the promotion rivals having similar doubts and negative predictions. They all seem to be enjoying the ride.

So, hopefully, enjoy the ride, stop worrying about things. Negativity transmits within the stadium.

and whilst I'm on one, oi, @Ninos I'm calling you out fool! Remind me how unimportant Chris Martin is to Derby and how rubbish he is! lol

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good post. I was speaking to a mate about a similar topic he is a Cardiff fan and said the 6 or 7 seasons prior to them getting promoted where they used to batter teams like Derby 6-1 etc were some of the better times and that getting promoted and then immediately relegated (along with off field troubles) were some of the worse to happen.

Its swings and roundabouts really the only desire I have to get into the prem is the money to keep the club running at the end of the day.

******* quality post Mostyn. 

I'd like it twice if I could. 

Really gutted about tonight but not angry or frustrated at all. And finally I'm not stressed about where we'll finish. We're a good team. An attacking team. A passing team when we can get our first choice players out. 

What's not to like? 

I keep telling my daughter to do this at uni - fretting about silly things that she sometimes, I think, actually makes happen by her negative actions.  

I don't think the fans do that to the team though.  I agree with you about just enjoying the ride, but when it means a lot to you, its natural to fret and worry.  I'm passionate about Derby County, just as I am about my family and my job etc...I worry. It's human nature.

We'll all look back on this season, whichever way it goes, and wish we had just had a blast, sod everything else - just like we do with our lives.   It's easy to say, and we all know it, it's just not so easy to feel.

I've suddenly chilled tho' - and I think these last 8 or so games will be a lot less pressured - hey, we might even coast to second without actually knowing it.  There's been a lot of pressure on us, right from the beginning of the season, it seems to have lessened - which might be a good thing.

I am one optimistic feckin American I must say...and will continue to be so the rest of this season.

Has been disappointing of late yes, but I for one am not going to lose faith.

Martin,Thorne, and Bent are coming back damn it all to hell, they will get us right.

I used to get quite angry when Carolina lost a basketball game, or Redskins lost as well, even at times in the past I have punched holes in walls, or have gotten a shovel and tried to dig a grave for myself.

This up and down season with Derby has tattered my nerves at times, but damn it I have never wanted to jump off the ship and am just enjoying the ride.

What will be, will be.

If we get promoted, well yee-ha feckin yes! If not, well life will go on, and I will still enjoy the offseason, and look forward to next season.

******* quality post Mostyn. 

I'd like it twice if I could. 

Really gutted about tonight but not angry or frustrated at all. And finally I'm not stressed about where we'll finish. We're a good team. An attacking team. A passing team when we can get our first choice players out. 

What's not to like? 

I'm in the same boat, but it's a bit hard to watch games tonight and on Saturday with any real enjoyment - no matter what division. 

Last season was brilliant; we played without fear and constantly attacked. If we could play like that over and over again then I'd happily watch League Two football to see that level of performance and thrill of attack. 

This season, we've often been left wanting and been trying to persuade ourselves that it will get better. I mean, there is only so many times you can say ''we're back'' in a season before you realise you're just talking *****. 

The tactics in the last two games; the ones that have seen us barely create a good chance on goal, doesn't wet the appetite regardless of who the opposition is. 

The argument was a decent one, but we've looked like a non-league side up against a Premier League club in the FA Cup in the past two games. 

I'm in the same boat, but it's a bit hard to watch games tonight and on Saturday with any real enjoyment - no matter what division. 

Last season was brilliant; we played without fear and constantly attacked. If we could play like that over and over again then I'd happily watch League Two football to see that level of performance and thrill of attack. 

This season, we've often been left wanting and been trying to persuade ourselves that it will get better. I mean, there is only so many times you can say ''we're back'' in a season before you realise you're just talking *****. 

The tactics in the last two games; the ones that have seen us barely create a good chance on goal, doesn't wet the appetite regardless of who the opposition is. 

The argument was a decent one, but we've looked like a non-league side up against a Premier League club in the FA Cup in the past two games. 

Think that's harsh on us tonight Ambitious 

We're missing a player that was robbed of poty last season. He's not just a goal threat he's the begining of the attacking phase over and over and over.

Without him it's quite hard work against a side like Boro. They take some beating even if you do have your key players.

Other than that I quite agree

Mostyn going all Schopenhauer, i like it. chelsea syndrome is a illness thats taking over football, an unquenchable thirst for results and silverware, combined with an inflated sense of entitlement are the symptoms, forgetting all the other moments of enjoyment throughout the season is the penalty. t'Championship is one of the best leagues in the world for really battles and moments of classic football, i'm happy for Derby to be future pioneers of the old school ways. if their can be such a thing

Good post. I remember pretty much since Christmas people exclaiming that they hoped martin didn't get injured rather than fully enjoying our results. Still a long way to go. At any rate the board appear to be in for the long haul so let's see how it comes out in the wash. 

At the start of the season, the aim was promotion. We are still perfectly in the mix for that. There has been this crazy weight of expectation all season on winning the league at a canter. In some ways it has been made to feel like a relegation battle, where we desperately look at the teams around us rather than enjoy what we do. The noises coming from the club are all positive, none of them have written off promotion, so why should we?

The problem with life is the good times come and go. Too many people spend their days waiting for the bad times and not embracing the good. If you can't enjoy seasons like this one, football must be a very painful existence.

I don't dread the Wolves game, can't wait for it.

Archived