The self-fulfilling prophecy of doubt

Mostyn6

• 11 months later...
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why is it always the fans fault? 

Most Leicester fans thought (and voiced) that the appointment of the 'tinkerman' was a joke and all but doomed them to relegation. Or do self fulfilling prophecies only apply to Derby fans?

Maybe we have an owner that is a buisinessman, not a football man, and meddles far too much in things he doesn't understand, and then appoints his mate instead of appointing someone who could actually do the job. 

I don't see the fans grabbing MM round the lapels and screaming "PLEASE DON'T GET A MANAGER!!! GET YOUR MATE DARREN!!!". 

Pretty sure that was his decision. 

On 17 March 2015 at 23:30, Mostyn6 said:

I personally (have already said that I) don't really care if we get promoted, I'm favouring on the side of staying in the Championship and having a few seasons of enjoyable football. I think I'm in a minority on that one, but don't understand why. Promotion equals trouble for us, we would go from competitive to strugglers, but that's another debate for another day.

A debate more apt now than ever.

I tell you what.

Its much more entertaining now that Troy and Mostyn are on different sides of the fence.

No offence Mostyn but Troy is on form 

6 minutes ago, TroyDyer said:

Maybe we have an owner that is a buisinessman, not a football man, and meddles far too much in things he doesn't understand, and then appoints his mate instead of appointing someone who could actually do the job. 

I don't see the fans grabbing MM round the lapels and screaming "PLEASE DON'T GET A MANAGER!!! GET YOUR MATE DARREN!!!". 

1 hour ago, RamNut said:

I tell you what.

Its much more entertaining now that Troy and Mostyn are on different sides of the fence.

No offence Mostyn but Troy is on form 

we have always had differing opinions in certain areas, you lot just decided to pick up the things we held similar views on.

1 hour ago, TroyDyer said:

Most Leicester fans thought (and voiced) that the appointment of the 'tinkerman' was a joke and all but doomed them to relegation. Or do self fulfilling prophecies only apply to Derby fans?

not sure I agree with your example. Leicester weren't top (or near top) under Ranieri when fans were moaning. Whereas Derby were perhaps over-achieving and still the fans were moaning.

I agree that Wassall shouldn't have been given the job, but he has, and as far as I am concerned, he should be given the chance to succeed instead of being prodded to fail.

1 hour ago, Mostyn6 said:

nearly a year has passed since this thread started...... still rings true.

I thought this was a new thread and was nodding my head in approval with everything said until I saw the dates! We appear to have found the Derby way - Storm up the league at the start of the season, fans moan that we aren't 15 points clear and playing like Barca every game, unrest in the stadium leading to a drop in confidence, fall down the league table and repeat!

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

not sure I agree with your example. Leicester weren't top (or near top) under Ranieri when fans were moaning. Whereas Derby were perhaps over-achieving and still the fans were moaning.

I agree that Wassall shouldn't have been given the job, but he has, and as far as I am concerned, he should be given the chance to succeed instead of being prodded to fail.

In what sense have we been over-achieving? We've spent more than anyone else. We have a bigger following in the division that anyone else. We've been around the top of the league for the two prior seasons, leading it on occasions, haven't sold anyone and have brought a lot of big-money signings in. Done right, we would be at the top of the league.

It's interesting that this time last season you were saying you weren't sure whether you wanted promotion because it was apparently more enjoyable winning games in the Championship, and that's a line you've been pushing again. Even though we're 5th, I haven't found this season very enjoyable, and the same with last. I just want to get up and out by hook or by crook. Would you really rather go through this all again next year?

19 minutes ago, Carl Sagan said:

In what sense have we been over-achieving? We've spent more than anyone else. We have a bigger following in the division that anyone else. We've been around the top of the league for the two prior seasons, leading it on occasions, haven't sold anyone and have brought a lot of big-money signings in. Done right, we would be at the top of the league.

It's interesting that this time last season you were saying you weren't sure whether you wanted promotion because it was apparently more enjoyable winning games in the Championship, and that's a line you've been pushing again. Even though we're 5th, I haven't found this season very enjoyable, and the same with last. I just want to get up and out by hook or by crook. Would you really rather go through this all again next year?

since when has money spent been relevant to ACTUAL achievement?

14 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

since when has money spent been relevant to ACTUAL achievement?

For very many years the top of the Premier League has remained pretty well unchanged, due to the financial might of the clubs there versus the rest.

Finally it's shifting this year because the remaining clubs can fight back, due to the Premier League deal dwarfing other revenues and levelling the playing field. Evidenced for instance by Everton hanging onto Stone despite Chelski's repeated bids at the start of the season, which would never have happened previously.

Based on money, this season's Championship should be a shootout between the current top-5 (since moving to their new stadium Brighton have consistently outperformed the division on commercial revenues) and we appear conclusively bottom of that mini league table. At least we are fifth, but how many fans expect us to remain in the playoff places unless we bring someone in who will command authority and respect, recognize what has been going wrong and steady the ship?

12 minutes ago, curtains said:

If it wasn't for you we would be doing a lot better as a club. 

You got in Mel's Ear about not spending anymore didn't you. 

Even by your standards, that's an amazing post!

How you could type it while laughing so hard god only knows.

20 minutes ago, curtains said:

I'm very keen not to insult you Curtains, I'm not sure @Daveo would appreciate if I typed the response that I actually muttered. I'd have probably been banned for a month.

I will point out a couple of things, and I'll let the forum decide...

We/I spoke to Mel on 13th of February. The window for spending money finished on the 1st Feb (or 2nd).

We didn't win a league game in January. We have won 50% of games since we/I spoke to Mel.

I'm pretty sure you criticised Mel, only THIS MORNING for spending too much money, but now you're blaming me for ruining the club and stopping Mel from spending MORE money!

I'm truly sorry that my influence has ruined Derby County!

Internet-Troll.thumb.jpg.20d2b5e7c93f43f

9 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I'm very keen not to insult you Curtains, I'm not sure @Daveo would appreciate if I typed the response that I actually muttered. I'd have probably been banned for a month.

I will point out a couple of things, and I'll let the forum decide...

We/I spoke to Mel on 13th of February. The window for spending money finished on the 1st Feb (or 2nd).

We didn't win a league game in January. We have won 50% of games since we/I spoke to Mel.

I'm pretty sure you criticised Mel, only THIS MORNING for spending too much money, but now you're blaming me for ruining the club and stopping Mel from spending MORE money!

I'm truly sorry that my influence has ruined Derby County!

Internet-Troll.thumb.jpg.20d2b5e7c93f43f

I never criticized Mel for spending too much money. 

Never ever but I think he has given mixed messages on this. 

He allowed Clement to spend money and then suddenly decided that Clement was too short term as regards promotion and is not with the Derby Way scenario which I assume Is bring academy players in to the first team despite them not being ready yet.  

Mel as a man is great but he's misguided by his advisers IMO. 

The Burnley way is the right way re Gray and Barton etc  i.e. Good Experienced players  .

The academy has a place and I believe Clement knew that  and shouldn't have been undermined  

PS the U21s are top of the 2nd Division and I doubt will get promoted as Arsenal have games in hand and we wil have to play off  

32 minutes ago, curtains said:

And this year's most ridiculous post goes to Curtains - and it's only March. 

Just now, curtains said:

I never criticized Mel for spending too much money. 

Never ever but I think he has given mixed messages on this. 

He allowed Clement to spend money and then suddenly decided that Clement was too short term as regards promotion and is not with the Derby Way scenario which I assume Is bring academy players despite them not being ready yet.  

Mel as a man is great but he's misguided by his advisers IMO. 

The Burnley way is the right way re Gray and Barton etc  i.e. Good Experienced players  .

The academy has a place and I believe Clement knew that  and shouldn't have been undermined  

I've already said to another poster, and I'm saying the same to you, you're being deliberately ignorant by singling out one or another of the reasons given for sacking Clement. If you pick one, yes, it looks like a bad decision, but there were a mutlitude of reasons. Try looking at the collection of reasons, NOT just one at a time.

I gave the analogy of a car with a load of problems. You wouldn't scrap it for one or two, but if it had 10 things wrong, you would.

8 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I've already said to another poster, and I'm saying the same to you, you're being deliberately ignorant by singling out one or another of the reasons given for sacking Clement. If you pick one, yes, it looks like a bad decision, but there were a mutlitude of reasons. Try looking at the collection of reasons, NOT just one at a time.

I gave the analogy of a car with a load of problems. You wouldn't scrap it for one or two, but if it had 10 things wrong, you would.

Are you telling me you don't know why Clement was sacked. 

Because the club have said he didn't believe in the 'Derby Way  'and was too short termism  

and wanted promotion this season. 

He didn't promote the Academy was another reason .

If he was going to be sacked why allow the signings of Olsson and Blackman. 

We could have promoted Bennett and Thomas etc etc. 

Archived