The self-fulfilling prophecy of doubt

Mostyn6

9 minutes ago, curtains said:

Are you telling me you don't know why Clement was sacked. 

No, I am telling you that there was a collection of reasons, all culminating in the club owner believing that Clement was not the right choice.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

No, I am telling you that there was a collection of reasons, all culminating in the club owner believing that Clement was not the right choice.

That's reasonable .

Now if that was the case which I accept because you have spoken to Mel then that's fair enough and I can understand there may be reasons it can't be all out in the public domain.

Now you and Mel seem to have the same policy for the Rams now which is a long term plan for the club promoting the Academy. 

I don't like that I prefer to concentrate on the first team for the here and now. .

The academy has its place but there are no gaurantees that it will produce that right amount and quality of players long term. 

If you are right you and Mel will be lauded. 

Will Hughes originally a Forest academy starlet will improve Derby on his return which Clement didn't have the luxury of. 

8 minutes ago, curtains said:

Now you and Mel seem to have the same policy for the Rams now which is a long term plan for the club promoting the Academy

I don't have a policy. I think you pick your best players. BUT, give me a Will Hughes or Jeff Hendrick every 2 years over a £5m Tom Ince.

3 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

I don't have a policy. I think you pick your best players. BUT, give me a Will Hughes or Jeff Hendrick every 2 years over a £5m Tom Ince.

Hendrick was a Paul Jewell signing for the academy and Hughes was from the Forest academy as was Tom Huddlestone  

Tom Ince can't help market prices in football. 

Hes done well for us .

Football is an inflated business. 

Bradley Johnson can't help the fee for him either. .

You can't judge a footballer on price tag 

Just now, curtains said:

Hendrick was a Paul Jewell dining for the academy and Hughes was from the Forest academy. 

Tom Ince can't help market prices in football. 

Hes done well for us .

Football is an inflated business. 

regardless of who and where, they were academy promotions and feel like a better connection to the club. I don't disagree with trying to produce more. It's done Southampton and West Ham well over the years, why not us.

5 minutes ago, Mostyn6 said:

regardless of who and where, they were academy promotions and feel like a better connection to the club. I don't disagree with trying to produce more. It's done Southampton and West Ham well over the years, why not us.

It can work of course it can and latterly Luke Thomas from Cheltenham looks a good signing for the academy. 

Thats only part of the story though .

The Derby Manager has to decide when picking his first 11 which is his best 11 for certain games blend wise etc. 

Now take Huddersfield at home when Bryson and Russell did well in a 20 minute cameo. 

Next game against QPR they are straight in the starting 11 .

The manager Wassall got it wrong didn't he they had no effect. 

Hes just listening to the fans and a manager can't do that he has to decide himself. 

5 minutes ago, curtains said:

Now take Huddersfield at home when Bryson and Russell did well in a 20 minute cameo. 

Next game against QPR they are straight in the starting 11 .

there are far far better managers than Wassall making selection errors. There were more than just Bryson and Russell who failed to perform in that game too.

On 9 March 2016 at 22:24, Mostyn6 said:

not sure I agree with your example. Leicester weren't top (or near top) under Ranieri when fans were moaning. Whereas Derby were perhaps over-achieving and still the fans were moaning.

I agree that Wassall shouldn't have been given the job, but he has, and as far as I am concerned, he should be given the chance to succeed instead of being prodded to fail.

Big picture-wise, I pretty much agree with Mostyn.

One minor curve ball on expectations v performance v moaning when overachieving though...

It seems to me we've developed a brittleness of confidence. The veneer of near-arrogance when we are playing beautifully gives way incredibly quickly to carping and moaning at the first downturn. Trust me: as an overseas Derby fan who can only compare the radio broadcasts every week with the televised games, the ripples of nervousness and groans, etc at mistakes which come through on the radio is palpable at times.

Television seems to obscure it a bit and not just because the effects mic is not as loud; being among the crowd may similarly obscure the full wave...but I bet it's evident in the cauldron.

I really wonder sometimes if the cumulative effect of Clough, Maxwell, 2007, the playoff final plays on the club's psyche? That we are fine while it's all going swimmingly but, when setbacks hit us as they must, the club, the players, the fans all subconsciously think "it's happening again."

I know I often joke of the gypsy curse when things go awry; perhaps that's symptomatic of the same thing?

Perhaps Derby, as a whole, subconsciously rides the "successful bits" too easily, too complacently, in the sense that we stop focussing on the grind and the process which enables the success...enjoy, if not celebrate how well things are going...then, when the ride gets bumpier (as it must), the grind and the process is not as second-nature as it ought to be.

Like Basil trying not to mention the war, we subconsciously try so hard not to think of our past failings, that our first response is "it's not like the playoff final"...in other words, our mindset is there already whether we like it or not.

As that skittishness emanates from fans, from back office staff, it is sensed onfield. Players tighten up. Second guess themselves.

Crowd complains. Players react. Become even more nervous.

The rest is history.

Before you dismiss this as a load of psychological garbage, ask yourself honestly: after we lost to Boro, drew luckily at home to Reading, lost badly to Birmingham at home, and to Burnley away...after which match did you think..."it's last year's collapse  happening again!"

Reading; Birmingham; or Burnley? It was early in the first half against Birmingham for me.

On 3/9/2016 at 06:24, Mostyn6 said:

as I am concerned, he should be given the chance to succeed instead of being prodded to fail.

100% agree.

Plus the fact that DW is a former professional footballer and currently a professional full-time head coach. So he surely has more football sense than any of you half fans who only moons and wanes.

Not saying anything about DW's common sense, though.

Archived