Fulham v Derby County

AmericanRam

• Replies 443
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A performance today very reminiscent of the games vs Leeds away and Middlesbrough away. No consistency in our passing and consequently no intensity to our forward play. Very little supply to our striker, Bent had no viable chances due to this. Individual poor performances from Christie and Mascarell undermined our defence and led to costly goals that prevented any chance we had of getting a result today. The substitutions were poor and offered very little to overall play. Russell is not yet matchfit and therefore was a poor game to re-introduce him, Buxton was good but the emphasis should have been on attack rather than defence. Bryson for Bent compounded the loss in my opinion, not that Bryson was bad but not what we needed at the time.

Ratings:

Grant- 6               Both of Fulham's goals were well taken and Grant had no chance of saving, otherwise okay.

Christie- 4            Weak defensively, absent for 2nd goal, and incredibly poor crossing.
Keogh- 6                Nothing especially wrong, often had to cover for other players deficiencies 
Shotton- 5            Okay defensively but passing, especially 2nd half was abysmal.
Forsyth- 7            Our strongest player, especially at the back.
Buxton- 7             Again, looked solid when he came on but not what we needed at the time.

Mascarell- 3        Poor on the ball, offered nothing defensively. Showed how much we missed Thorne.
Hendrick- 6         Often won the ball back well but rest of players around him average so didn't sparkle. 
Hughes- 6           Surprisingly average, however lack of outlets for passes made it difficult.
Bryson- 6            Looked lively but in an less than dynamic team performance made little impact.

Ince- 5                 Predictable on the ball, their LB had him in his back pocket.
Lingard- 6            Did okay with little service however lacked a cutting edge.
Bent- 4                 Not against him personally but lack of service rendered him almost completely invisible.
Russell- 5             Fitness told, not match fit yet. Did okay in spells though

2 well taken goals from Fulham made the difference combined with some solid, resolute defending from then. 2nd half though, we started making unforced errors and this only served to add to our misery. Misplaced passes and cheaply giving the ball away means we couldn't string any passes together and to play effectively, we need to retain the ball.

Well, even the 2nd half was damage limitation as Fulham had at least 2-3 very good chances to score to make it 4 or 5 nil. We had 2 comfortable saves for their goalie to make all match - it was that bad. Really don't like Forest's recent run either.

I don't mind the defeat so much but it is embarrassing going there as top of the league and putting in that performance. The last 5 or 6 games we must be averaging conceding 2 goals a game. It is worrying, be galling to have to go through the playoffs.

Not time yet for the doom ****ers but am I the only one (that's rhetorical by the way) who has never been fully confident about Derby's ability to win automatic promotion. True everyone says we have the strongest squad in the championship but that's on paper; it's meaningless if the players don't consistently perform.

now with strikers out my confidence is waning even more. I am going to the Brighton game and hope to scrape a draw. Look out for an old git with white, no, silver, hair and take pity on him. Buy him a pint and a bag of salted peanuts. That might cheer me up a bit. 

REALLY missing Chris Martin .. Bent has never been the answer to this .. he's a late sub or , maybe , a 'Plan B' just ahead of Martin .. Hughes and Martin are always going to be the ones , when missing , to affect our performance ;  and if they were BOTH missing for ( say ) another 3 games , then I would think that the play-offs may well be our destination .. 

Well I thought we would miss George Thorne but not as much as we did. We were outplayed in midfield ... Plus the foul on Hughes that led to 2nd goal on half time was a killer. Thought the 2nd goal was lucky all round not just a foul but I also thought it was a cross that ended up in the net. We were better in 2nd half but always chasing the game. Fulham seemed to get blocks in every time they sensed a victory and they won comfortably in the end . A few odd selections by Mac for an away game, and why have 3 wingers on the bench? 

Archived