Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

As if this year hasn't been weird enough, Mayweather vs Paul?!?!? I stupidly decided to watch Paul vs KSI 2 last night. Normally I'd applaud rank amateurs for having the stones to step into a ring but then normally such things are done for charity, not the raging egos of a pair of self-obsessed clowns. I'm no fan of Mayweather's despite acknowledging him (begrudgingly) as one of the best technicians I've ever seen. Despite this, I really don't want a drawn-out fight. I'd like to see him him step in, spark Paul and then turn on his heel and head for the nearest bar so we never have to see anything similar ever again. It's an insult to the sport and nothing more.

As for the real fight game, I'm looking at the Joshua - Pulev gig with a degree of nervousness. I think we'd all love to see AJ - Fury for all the belts next year, but I've had a lingering and nagging doubt about AJ since the Klitschko fight, that being that AJ is chinny. Ruiz exposed this and while I thought AJ looked better in the re-match, it didn't do much to allay my concerns. I don't see him staying out of reach all fight against Pulev and I've a nasty feeling that if he gets tagged, that'll be that and the unification dream will go up in smoke. Pulev isn't a massive banger but he is durable and I can see AJ gassing out, especially if he comes in too big. Hope I'm wrong!

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

Mayweather will never do that because he wants the world to call him out for more fight$. It would be great if he did decide to show the difference between 30 fighting years and a few dozen hours. 

Know what you're saying about AJ. I don't think much of Pulev. He's tough but he loves to wrestle and doesn't really have one punch ko power as you said. But the I suppose Ruiz Jnr doesn't so... fingers crossed that was just one sweet shot that wobbled AJ for the fight.

I think as soon as he's up against AJ's size and strength he'll not fancy it. Probably try to slow the fight right down

AJ should start fast. Quick sharp shots, in and out. Just set the pace nice and fast. Plant his feet when Pulev has given up trying to grapple because he'll no doubt run out of ideas. 

3 hours ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

As for the real fight game, I'm looking at the Joshua - Pulev gig with a degree of nervousness. I think we'd all love to see AJ - Fury for all the belts next year, but I've had a lingering and nagging doubt about AJ since the Klitschko fight, that being that AJ is chinny. Ruiz exposed this and while I thought AJ looked better in the re-match, it didn't do much to allay my concerns. I don't see him staying out of reach all fight against Pulev and I've a nasty feeling that if he gets tagged, that'll be that and the unification dream will go up in smoke. Pulev isn't a massive banger but he is durable and I can see AJ gassing out, especially if he comes in too big. Hope I'm wrong!

I think AJ is harshly treated by everyone. People make out as though he has a glass chin, he doesn't. Against Whyte he survived big punches with relative ease. Klitschko dropped him with a massive straight right and he got up, went on to win the fight. Andy Ruiz is incredibly underrated, his power is incredible, Parker says he's the hardest hitter he's been in with. 

Pulev isn't amazing, majority of his fights have been with bums, his most notable victories being Chisora (split decision), Hughie Fury and Tony Thompson. Klitschko managed to drop Pulev 5 times with the same punch in 5 rounds.

1 hour ago, Alpha said:

He's tough but he loves to wrestle and doesn't really have one punch ko power as you said. But the I suppose Ruiz Jnr doesn't so...

Ruiz has amazing power, Parker says he's the hardest hitter he's been in with. Ruiz is incredibly underrated and if he was as dedicated as others are, he'd be a top top fighter.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

I think AJ is harshly treated by everyone. People make out as though he has a glass chin, he doesn't. Against Whyte he survived big punches with relative ease. Klitschko dropped him with a massive straight right and he got up, went on to win the fight. Andy Ruiz is incredibly underrated, his power is incredible, Parker says he's the hardest hitter he's been in with. 

Pulev isn't amazing, majority of his fights have been with bums, his most notable victories being Chisora (split decision), Hughie Fury and Tony Thompson. Klitschko managed to drop Pulev 5 times with the same punch in 5 rounds.

Well I haven't said he's got a 'glass chin' have I? I've said I think he may be chinny - that's to say a solid shot will trouble him more than the likes of Fury. He also gets tagged more than the likes of Fury as he doesn't have the same ring craft. I've not got any kind of down on AJ in any case, I just don't think his durability matches his punching power. Top level heavies need both qualities IMO.

As for Ruiz, for a fighter with 'incredible power', he doesn't stop that many does he? 62% versus 88% for AJ and 93% for Wilder. Both of the latter-named would deal with Ruiz with a minimum of fuss.

Also, I'm not saying Pulev will win anyway, only that I'd be concerned if the fight goes much beyond halfway. For me, AJ needs to try and put him away relatively early as if the fight goes long I'd be concerned. I'd certainly not be backing AJ at 1/10, that's for sure. Hopefully AJ does the business and we can look forward to an all UK unification bout which I think would be the biggest fight for generations.

Edited by 86 Schmokes & a Pancake

4 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

Well I haven't said he's got a 'glass chin' have I? I've said I think he may be chinny - that's to say a solid shot will trouble him more than the likes of Fury. He also gets tagged more than the likes of Fury as he doesn't have the same ring craft. I've not got any kind of down on AJ in any case, I just don't think his durability matches his punching power. Top level heavies need both qualities IMO.

As for Ruiz, for a fighter with 'incredible power', he doesn't stop that many does he? 62% versus 88% for AJ and 93% for Wilder. Both of the latter-named would eal with Ruiz with a minimum of fuss.

Also, I'm not saying Pulev will win anyway, only that I'd be concerned if the fight goes much beyond halfway. For me, AJ needs to try and put him away relatively early as if the fight goes long I'd be concerned. I'd certainly not be backing AJ at 1/10, that's for sure. Hopefully AJ does the business and we can look forward to an all UK unification bout which I think would be the biggest fight for generations.

Didn't say you did in particular! 

Lets be honest, that 93% for Wilder, most of his CV has been against absolute bums. He's obviously got the best power in heavyweight, but he's got one of the worst CV's out of them all.

Ruiz would beat Wilder I think, Ruiz has the best chin in heavyweight I think, Ruiz is incredible on the inside, he's a pain for anyone if he's up for it, so I think he could despatch Wilder. His style would be an absolute nightmare for Wilder, Wilder thrives on his opponents being scared of his punches and them cowering up after a knockdown, look what Ruiz did after he was floored by AJ, kept walking forward and pressuring AJ. No one has done that to Wilder, apart from Fury, look what happened there.

AJ has had 7 fights go beyond 6 rounds, he's won 6 of them, with his loss to Ruiz coming in the 7th round. I don't think AJ gasses easily, his second wind vs Klitschko was unbelievable. His 2 fights that have gone 12 rounds, he's been absolute fine by the end of it. Again, I think people harshly criticise Joshua for his boxing skills, yet he boxed brilliantly in Ruiz 2. 

Joshua's definitely a bit chinny. And the thing is, he doesn't recover quickly from a big shot either. He can be unsteady for a couple of rounds after a big shot. 

I don't think Pulev will be too big of a problem. I think Joshua learned a lot from his two Ruiz fights. Could definitely do with a statement win going into the Fury fight though. 

Pulev is certainly tough, but I can't see him having too much power to trouble Joshua unless he lands a freak shot. Joshua being younger and having a longer reach will help him a lot. I think it'll take a few rounds to break him down with Joshua win by knockout. 

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

I don't think AJ is chinny but I do think he is upright and does leave himself open to getting whacked - Whyte, Ruiz and Klitchko have all done it. Fury is a not as good on the eye but he is a more troublesome fighter and is well versed in the dirtier side of the game, not saying illegal just things like smothering, grinding down and stifling opponents. But Fury has been tagged, by lesser fighters than AJ, so no one is perfect at that level.

I think we all feel like Holyfield did before the Tyson / Douglas fight, just knowing that one seemingly manageable fight is all that can prevent the fight of the century. And look what happened there.....

1 minute ago, Jubbs said:

Again, I think people harshly criticise Joshua for his boxing skills, yet he boxed brilliantly in Ruiz 2. 

I've seen literally no criticism whatsoever of Joshua's performance in his last fight against Ruiz, quite the opposite, nor have I seen any folk being 'harsh' about Joshua in general. Folk rightly suggested he was a bit daft to try and trade with Ruiz in their first fight, given his massive height and reach advantage and they were proved right in spades by both the performance and the result in the re-match. I'd dispute the term 'brilliant' though - Lennox, Holyfield and their ilk were 'brilliant' fighters. AJ's not there yet despite the belts. The acid test will be when he fights Fury, assuming he comes through this fight unscathed.

3 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Joshua's definitely a bit chinny. And the thing is, he doesn't recover quickly from a big shot either. He can be unsteady for a couple of rounds after a big shot. 

I don't think Pulev will be too big of a problem. I think Joshua learned a lot from his two Ruiz fights. Could definitely do with a statement win going into the Fury fight though. 

Pulev is certainly tough, but I can't see him having too much power to trouble Joshua unless he lands a freak shot. Joshua being younger and having a longer reach will help him a lot. I think it'll take a few rounds to break him down with Joshua win by knockout. 

Not sure I concur - against Klitschko I'm with many who say that AJ was out when he hit the floor. He took a round off to recover but that is hardly slow recovery from being unconscious. The Ruiz fight was an anomaly, no idea what actually happened but I'm not going to base my view of him as a fighter on that one night. Ali got dropped many times, these guys bang at the level and you can't walk through every one.

1 minute ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I've seen literally no criticism whatsoever of Joshua's performance in his last fight against Ruiz, quite the opposite, nor have I seen any folk being 'harsh' about Joshua in general. Folk rightly suggested he was a bit daft to try and trade with Ruiz in their first fight, given his massive height and reach advantage and they were proved right in spades by both the performance and the result in the re-match. I'd dispute the term 'brilliant' though - Lennox, Holyfield and their ilk were 'brilliant' fighters. AJ's not there yet despite the belts. The acid test will be when he fights Fury, assuming he comes through this fight unscathed.

Wilder won that fight - he starfished Brezeale weeks before, called out AJ to make a name for himself in the Garden and Joshua bit hook, line and sinker.

And, yes, Lennox was a brilliant fighter - thanks for reminding me. But even he got sparked by relative unknowns. Who'd be a heavyweight eh?

2 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

Not sure I concur - against Klitschko I'm with many who say that AJ was out when he hit the floor. He took a round off to recover but that is hardly slow recovery from being unconscious. The Ruiz fight was an anomaly, no idea what actually happened but I'm not going to base my view of him as a fighter on that one night. Ali got dropped many times, these guys bang at the level and you can't walk through every one.

Based on nothing but memory it felt like Joshua was hanging on for a few rounds against Klitschko. I seemed to remember he was a bit sluggish vs Dillian Whyte too. I think Povetkin hurt him too. I accept what you're saying, but it is certainly possible to wobble Joshua in the way that it isn't for Fury.

19 minutes ago, 86 Schmokes & a Pancake said:

I tell you now I saw hundreds and thousands of people criticizing AJ after the Ruiz 2 fight and see it still nowadays before this fight and when Fury fights. I don't know how you can say AJ isn't there quite yet, he's an Olympic gold medallist and 4 belts. He's also got the best CV out of the current heavyweight crop, even gave Wilder his best offer, yet Wilder dodged him to fight Fury (1st fight), who he thought was going to be easy. AJ hasn't had a bad fight (quality of opponent wise) since Gary Cornish 11 fights ago.

5 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

I tell you now I saw hundreds and thousands of people criticizing AJ after the Ruiz 2 fight and see it still nowadays before this fight and when Fury fights. I don't know how you can say AJ isn't there quite yet, he's an Olympic gold medallist and 4 belts. He's also got the best CV out of the current heavyweight crop, even gave Wilder his best offer, yet Wilder dodged him to fight Fury (1st fight), who he thought was going to be easy. AJ hasn't had a bad fight (quality of opponent wise) since Gary Cornish 11 fights ago.

AJ is a great boxer, 100%. He'd definitely beat Wilder given the chance. The only boxer I could see AJ losing to is Tyson Fury.

He visibly struggles to get strength in his legs and arms and breath when he's hurt. It's very obvious when he's took a heavy shot and not being able to hide it is his major weakness. 

Against Whyte he bumbled about for a bit. Against Wlad he couldn't even lift his arms to defend himself. Against Ruiz he tried to hide it by attacking but we know how that went. 

I'm a big fan of Joshua but he's gotta be one of the worst elite fighters in a clinch. He doesn't impose his size and weight. If anything he gets pushed around. His survival skills aren't the best even if he has the bottle. 

Anyway, I don't think Pulev will test his chin. Not if AJ finds and holds his range he'll be fine. After facing Povetkin and Takam this guy is going to be like a punchbag on legs. If AJ loses it's going to be because he's done something stupid like trying to dismiss Ruiz. But that first Ruiz fight should have made him well aware that 17st heavyweight boxers can all hurt if you stick your chin in the way

I reckon Wilder v AJ would still be an epic fight. Fury does things like ducks his head under his shoulder when punching. AJ has a tendency to leave his head sat up there and plants his feet a lot.

Its the perfect time for Fury v Joshua. Everything we know about both men was called into question in their last fight.

Fury never plants his feet... but he did

AJ doesn't get on his toes or change his height... but he did. 

9 minutes ago, Alpha said:

I'm a big fan of Joshua but he's gotta be one of the worst elite fighters in a clinch. He doesn't impose his size and weight. If anything he gets pushed around. His survival skills aren't the best even if he has the bottle

Only Wilder is worse in top tier HW boxing, in my opinion. Both are not good clinchers. 

6 minutes ago, Andicis said:

Only Wilder is worse in top tier HW boxing, in my opinion. Both are not good clinchers. 

That's how you know Wilder must pack a rocket powered punch. Because he's so bad at everything else and only weight 16st at 6ft 7" yet still went to the top.

You wouldn't want to cheat with his wife would you