Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

6 hours ago, Alpha said:

Wasn't meant to happen was it? It was meant to be a name on his record of a guy that's big enough to boost your rep but old enough to get dragged around the ring by a young bull

These old ones aren't always ready to bow out when the going gets tough

Ask Povetkin.

I think this was another of those fights that was seen as a foregone conclusion but as you pointed out, the old warrior hadn't read the script. Kelly is young and perhaps there's still a big career ahead for him, but he needs to understand that trying to box like Prince Naseem only makes sense you you have BOTH his speed and his power. I'm far from convinced Kelly has either. He needs to focus on the basics for me and try to be the best version of himself he can be, not a facsimile of someone else.

As for Avanesyan, he's earned himself another decent pot somewhere in the future and I have to say his after-fight presser was absolutely joyous. Try watching this without smiling ?

2 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

I think this was another of those fights that was seen as a foregone conclusion but as you pointed out, the old warrior hadn't read the script. Kelly is young and perhaps there's still a big career ahead for him, but he needs to understand that trying to box like Prince Naseem only makes sense you you have BOTH his speed and his power. I'm far from convinced Kelly has either. He needs to focus on the basics for me and try to be the best version of himself he can be, not a facsimile of someone else.

As for Avanesyan, he's earned himself another decent pot somewhere in the future and I have to say his after-fight presser was absolutely joyous. Try watching this without smiling ?

Haha! 

I wanted Kelly to win but can't deny watching somebody come in to play a role and them tearing up the script is quite satisfying. 

I completely agree about Kelly too. Might have to knuckle down and earn those world titles rather than expect them to land in his lap. Some fighters out there aren't going to be easily frustrated about chasing shadows. They're experienced enough to battle through and wait for an opportunity. 

This is what makes me laugh about Povetkin. He's always seen as some hard nut that's not serious about winning world titles and has had his day in the sun. How many times does he have to prove he's there to win and has as much heart as any young lion. 

If Whyte doesn't fight the best fight of his career he will get done again imo

If we see the Saunders who fought Lemieux turn up against Canelo he's got the best chance of pretty much anyone, and I include GGG in that, of beating him. When he's on it his style is unorthodox and he is pretty near impossible to tag. Of course, other times Billie Joe has stunk the room out so you never know what you're going to get.

That said, I still don't think he will - just that he has the potential to make a better fist of it than those who came before. It would have to be on points - I'm not sure there's a boxer outside the heavyweights who could knock Alvarez out, he has got one granite chin.

I want Canelo to smash him. He's not a nice bloke at all. 

I don't think anyone beats Canelo right now. Only if he goes back to light heavyweight and fights someone that's in their prime and doesn't know defeat unlike Kovalev.

But he won't. That was an easy chance to take another record. 

As he is, he's pretty much perfect imo. Maybe go back 5+ years and GGG could but now is his time to dominate

8 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Watching Tyson v Bruno story on Sky

Nice and depressing 

Stop watching it then ya madhead!

As for Saunders, I'm not Canelo's biggest fan but I don't see Saunders giving him any problems at all. Canelo will hunt him down and end him pretty swiftly. I don't buy into the whole, BJS will give him problems stuff at all. BJS is going sleepy night-nights IMO. 

14 hours ago, 86 Hair Islands said:

Stop watching it then ya madhead!

As for Saunders, I'm not Canelo's biggest fan but I don't see Saunders giving him any problems at all. Canelo will hunt him down and end him pretty swiftly. I don't buy into the whole, BJS will give him problems stuff at all. BJS is going sleepy night-nights IMO. 

I felt a bit of duty to watch it. Both men a complete mess at one time or other and we're there paying them to smash each others head in! The stuff they went through! I already watched a lot in the past about Mike Tyson but I forget just what a fascinating and scary guy he was. 

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler, one of the true (and I mean true) greats of the sport, participant in what could rightly be considered the greatest fight of all time and as much of a gentleman outside the ring as he was a teak tough warrior inside it. We all have to go sometime but 66 is just too young for someone who had brought so much joy to so many.

22 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

RIP Marvelous Marvin Hagler, one of the true (and I mean true) greats of the sport, participant in what could rightly be considered the greatest fight of all time and as much of a gentleman outside the ring as he was a teak tough warrior inside it. We all have to go sometime but 66 is just too young for someone who had brought so much joy to so many.

I remember him doing over Alan Minter who was as hard as nails himself then getting bottled for the privilege.

1 hour ago, BaaLocks said:

That era was stacked with greatness from lightweight through to light-heavy) with the likes of Hearns, Leonard, Arguello, Pryor and Duran. But Hagler was as good as any at his weight.

On 14/03/2021 at 11:58, Bob The Badger said:

That era was stacked with greatness from lightweight through to light-heavy) with the likes of Hearns, Leonard, Arguello, Pryor and Duran. But Hagler was as good as any at his weight.

Hagler was special because he could fight on both feet with ease. He would swing southpaw, step forward and then be pefectly set up orthodox to come straight at you. Most boxers need to reset, he didn't and that meant retreating off him was just falling into the trap. He might not have had the variety of gameplan of the likes of a Leonard but he didn't need to, he just kept coming and there wasn't much anyone could do about it. I (reluctantly) agree that Leonard won their fight but that does not detract one bit from Hagler as a champion - Leonard, Hearns and Duran all got sparked (the last by Kirklaind Laing) but Hagler only ever (two early losses aside) looked in trouble in the first round of the Hearns fight, and look how that ended.

On 14/03/2021 at 10:25, BaaLocks said:

Amen! 

13 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Let's hope for UK venue for at least one fight. But I bet America gets one. 

I'm thinking Saudi and Vegas for the 2 fights. For some reason I just imagine them not even fighting in the UK

45 minutes ago, Alpha said:

Yesssaai. 

Let's hope for UK venue for at least one fight. But I bet America gets one. 

Sadly I can't see us getting one. If we can't, I'd prefer Saudi so at least we get to watch in a decent time zone. I've never been more excited for a fight in my life, I hope it doesn't disappoint!

4 hours ago, Jubbs said:

I'm thinking Saudi and Vegas for the 2 fights. For some reason I just imagine them not even fighting in the UK

Urgh! Then there's too many greedy feckers because I think Fury and AJ would do one in the UK for less money. AJ has taken less money before and Tyson would surely not mind a UK venue for the biggest fight in British boxing history

4 hours ago, Andicis said:

Sadly I can't see us getting one. If we can't, I'd prefer Saudi so at least we get to watch in a decent time zone. I've never been more excited for a fight in my life, I hope it doesn't disappoint!

Same! I can't wait either. The build up and everything. 

If there's a weakness in AJ's personality then Tyson will find it. Likewise AJ we all know is a smart, polite and respectful dude with a nasty horrible streak in him. 

The fight might be tactical but the build up could be fireworks. A guy that won't stop playing vs a guy that doesn't play at all ?

Just now, Alpha said:

Same! I can't wait either. The build up and everything. 

If there's a weakness in AJ's personality then Tyson will find it. Likewise AJ we all know is a smart, polite and respectful dude with a nasty horrible streak in him. 

The fight might be tactical but the build up could be fireworks. A guy that won't stop playing vs a guy that doesn't play at all ?

I actually suspect the two of them quite like each other behind the scenes, but there is no way Fury is going to approach this fight without all the mind games you would expect. The bookies will probably sensibly have Fury as favourite, but I have to say I have a feeling Joshua could surprise people.