Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

Having watched AJ/Usyk, I have to say I thought it was fairly dull.

Can't understand why AJ was so poor at applying pressure. Didn't use his size or physicality, just stood off and kept getting short punches slammed in his face and then swiping back at thin air.

First round or two were so much of a shadow boxing match it was untrue. Virtually nothing happened, except expend energy, I can't understand how he thought it would translate to him winning later on.

Toe-curling antics at the end. No idea why he threw the belts out of the ring but it looked incredibly petulant. Compounded it by making the weirdest speech ever, was out of control with no one in his camp able to say 'no' to him. 

Usyk looked so awkward I felt awful for him. It was like watching your drunk Dad doing a speech at your 18th birthday and saying how nice looking all the young girls were, cringe!

16 hours ago, Chester40 said:

Having watched AJ/Usyk, I have to say I thought it was fairly dull.

Can't understand why AJ was so poor at applying pressure. Didn't use his size or physicality, just stood off and kept getting short punches slammed in his face and then swiping back at thin air.

First round or two were so much of a shadow boxing match it was untrue. Virtually nothing happened, except expend energy, I can't understand how he thought it would translate to him winning later on.

Toe-curling antics at the end. No idea why he threw the belts out of the ring but it looked incredibly petulant. Compounded it by making the weirdest speech ever, was out of control with no one in his camp able to say 'no' to him. 

Usyk looked so awkward I felt awful for him. It was like watching your drunk Dad doing a speech at your 18th birthday and saying how nice looking all the young girls were, cringe!

Surrounded by yes men. There's a great interview with Peter Fury somewhere. Now I don't think Peter would coach AJ and I don't even think he is the right fit for anyone needing to be a pressure fighter. 

But he's spot on about AJ's mentality. 

He's really lost his way. Too much money, pressure, people. Even now I bet nobody has told him he did pretty much the exact same as the first fight. 

He's a money printer for all these guys. You can come back AJ, you'll learn AJ, he's got 500 amateur fights AJ, you did amazing to compete with that experience AJ, you lost by split decision AJ. 

Watching this boxing event tonight with KSI, before I go on I would like to add that I have not paid for it...ahem.

The fact he's even taking 2 fights on in one night is making a mockery of the sport, ok the first opponent has 2 weeks experience and was more of a chase me Daddy type fight, but still.

The other fights have been atrocious and they are filling 40k seater stadiums with it and selling huge PVP numbers for these nights!

I just can't wrap my head around it all, sure you can argue the entertainment value in just how bad it is, I mean I still have it on now for that reason, but those paying money for it need to give their head a wobble.

23 hours ago, David said:

Watching this boxing event tonight with KSI, before I go on I would like to add that I have not paid for it...ahem.

The fact he's even taking 2 fights on in one night is making a mockery of the sport, ok the first opponent has 2 weeks experience and was more of a chase me Daddy type fight, but still.

The other fights have been atrocious and they are filling 40k seater stadiums with it and selling huge PVP numbers for these nights!

I just can't wrap my head around it all, sure you can argue the entertainment value in just how bad it is, I mean I still have it on now for that reason, but those paying money for it need to give their head a wobble.

Massively making a joke out the sport, when it was the odd fight between two non fighters, with a grudge to settle then I could tolerate it.

The money in boxing isn't great, you don't really make much until you start getting on decent undercards on PPV or bigger fights. Even some really good fighters struggle if they aren't on the Eddie Hearn bandwagon. It must be so disheartening to put your life into the sports, winning fights, making your way but barely earning a wage after your expenses. And then you switch the TV on for some you tube celeb, cashing in on the sport. Part of me doesn't blame them though, they are looking after themselves but something doesn't feel right for me

The main fight where KSI took on the “professional” Pineda was embarrassing, the guy looked like McLovin had been thrown in there having got in with his fake ID.

Never seen someone so scared to be in the ring, complained to the ref every time he took a hit. Looked like a guy that had been given a shed load of money to go in there and let the KSI show continue.

If it’s available anywhere to watch online, you have to go look it up.  

2 hours ago, David said:

The main fight where KSI took on the “professional” Pineda was embarrassing, the guy looked like McLovin had been thrown in there having got in with his fake ID.

Never seen someone so scared to be in the ring, complained to the ref every time he took a hit. Looked like a guy that had been given a shed load of money to go in there and let the KSI show continue.

If it’s available anywhere to watch online, you have to go look it up.  

OMFG!!! 

Had to look out of curiosity, that’s just massively embarrassing ?.

Absolutely right about those paying, how does that represent any value? It was a non event. KSI needs to fight a real opponent and be given a whopping; promoters not going to allow that, whilst dumbos take in and pay for the hype. What a shocking advert for boxing!

Edited by Zag zig

2 hours ago, Zag zig said:

OMFG!!! 

Had to look out of curiosity, that’s just massively embarrassing ?.

Absolutely right about those paying, how does that represent any value? It was a non event. KSI needs to fight a real opponent and be given a whopping; promoters not going to allow that, whilst dumbos take in and pay for the hype. What a shocking advert for boxing!

What got me was the way he celebrated after like he had just knocked out Tyson Fury or something. 

I honestly think you could have walked round any city centre and grabbed 50 lads who would have put up more of a fight that Pineda. 

On 27/08/2022 at 21:15, David said:

Have to disagree! I thought the other fights were quite entertaining, the Kenny vs Sensei fight was quite high quality. But that's just me. It was certainly better than any other influencer boxing events so far.

6 hours ago, Zag zig said:

Again, I'll disagree. Perhaps this is because I'm young but this is good for boxing. It brings so many more people to the sport and the fighters are being paid better than actual boxers, which helps as boxers need to be paid more. A lot of boxers are in favour of these events because they're aware of the publicity (and money) it brings to boxing and how it gets others involved in the sport. 
For example, the KSI vs Logan Paul 2 fight did around 2 million PPV buys, which would put it in and around the top 10 highest PPV boxing events. 

7 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Have to disagree! I thought the other fights were quite entertaining, the Kenny vs Sensei fight was quite high quality. But that's just me. It was certainly better than any other influencer boxing events so far.

Can’t say I’ve seen any of the others, was washing my hair those nights.

7 minutes ago, Jubbs said:

Again, I'll disagree. Perhaps this is because I'm young but this is good for boxing. It brings so many more people to the sport and the fighters are being paid better than actual boxers, which helps as boxers need to be paid more. A lot of boxers are in favour of these events because they're aware of the publicity (and money) it brings to boxing and how it gets others involved in the sport. 
For example, the KSI vs Logan Paul 2 fight did around 2 million PPV buys, which would put it in and around the top 10 highest PPV boxing events. 

It’s not good for boxing really though is it, proper boxers on the undercard for a circus fight just to get paid. 

If it draws fans to real boxing and increases the money there then of course you could make that argument, but I don’t see it, these are just young fans of influencers and if they were playing Bowls, archery, you name it they would follow and buy their aftershave.

1 hour ago, Jubbs said:

Yea I’d say it could be a youth thing, albeit my lads show these youtubers no interest either.

Wasn’t aware of current boxing fraternity thoughts in all honesty but maybe you’re right. I’m sure it splits opinions. As for Logan Paul and KSI really they are just names to me, purely from a lazy bank holiday, I googled the prompt from @Davidand have to say, it looks a bit of a joke bout to me; personal choice but maybe others feel differently.

Edited by Zag zig

4 hours ago, CodnorRam said:

I was cringing so bad at AJ's speech but i was absolutly pissing mesen cause USYK just stood there like the penguin from madagascar with no idea what joshua was saying image.png.3523b0230855781c0837571d89115155.png

At one stage he looked like he had to compose himself. Yeah the rest of the time he just looked like the rest of us I think!!

As for the YouTubers. I'm not sure they're good for anything never mind boxing. 

They seem like the kind of social influencers like the Kardashians but to a different audience on a different platform. 

Impressionable kids think everything they do is cool/funny/smart. 

All bad for mental health.

1 hour ago, The_Sheriff said:

Fury v AJ looks very possible now then!?

I'm not sure what Fury gets from that one.  It would have no attraction to anyone but a UK market and far less so than a couple of years ago.  His moneys in fighting Usyk or getting paid 200 k a time for doing a sing song and a chat as a guest at big business Christmas parties if he can't be arsed. 

7 hours ago, Gee SCREAMER !! said:

I'm not sure what Fury gets from that one.  It would have no attraction to anyone but a UK market and far less so than a couple of years ago.  His moneys in fighting Usyk or getting paid 200 k a time for doing a sing song and a chat as a guest at big business Christmas parties if he can't be arsed. 

It still makes an absolute shed loads of money, and likely more than Usyk. Joshua is a much bigger name world wide than Uysk is.