Boxing Thread

AmericanRam

We've always had this in boxing in some aspect. White collar boxing, celebrity boxing (anyone remember Paula Jones getting completely lamped by Tonya Harding), wannabee freaks like Flintoff. Steve Bunce called it well, it's not the end of boxing, it's just really bad boxing that people are happy to pay to watch. I watched a bit of it, couldn't believe 20k people wanted to watch that garbage but it's well marketed and will be around for a while - till it just runs out of steam and the next version comes along.

Its just full of kids watching there you tube "stars" i mean look how they buy prime which is basically flavoured coconut water 🙄! Great build up, well marketed at the target audience, then the bell goes and its bad white collar fight!

Its like the wwe version of boxing! I dont mind that, its when its confused with real boxing that annoys me! Jake paul calling out canelo for example 🤦🏻‍♂️!

Also i worry that one of them will get killed or badly hurt at some point! Are they drug tested? There using 10oz horse hair gloves apparently which are lethal!

Aint got a problem with it as long its not confused with boxing, which it is being unfortunatly! If someone gets hurt badly dont want it to reflect bad on boxing as this clearly for anyone who knows boxing is defo not boxing! 

Can you imagine, if KSI got badly hurt, god forbid and ended up with life changing injuries! The millions of young kids thst would be put of real boxing because they think what there seeing is legit pro boxing! 

Edited by De22Ram

32 minutes ago, De22Ram said:

Also i worry that one of them will get killed or badly hurt at some point! Are they drug tested?

On talksport last week they said that they're only drug tested just before the fight, not subject to random drug testing at all.

1 hour ago, Carnero said:

On talksport last week they said that they're only drug tested just before the fight, not subject to random drug testing at all.

Should have tested the audience. They must all be trippin balls if they turned up expecting a decent fight.

White collar boxing has been around a while and I accept that, but it's almost exclusively fundraising events. Literally every one I've been to has been a few game lads (and lasses!) taking a few licks for good causes, whilst honing their skills a little with a crowd to cheer them on. These 'influencer' Bamfords are just lining their pockets with our kid's cash (read our cash!), earning in a single night many times what some pro fighters earn in their entire careers.

Now we have the heavyweight champion of the world wanting to fill his already stuffed coffers with another exhibition fight*, because there's as much cash sloshing around for taking no risks as there is for genuine title fights. They can all get in the f****** bin as far as I'm concerned. Brilliant promotion though, check out the ingenious trailer below:

How I'd love to see Ngannou tag him, just once would be nice, pretty please! 

Sad Please Please Please GIF by myHQ

Box office (PPV) has killed boxing. There's almost little to no incentive for a boxer in a smaller nation to get into the sport as they ain't gonna get a shot at a title unless they can sell PPV.

I despair for a once epic sport. It does need a reset.

4 hours ago, Mostyn6 said:

Box office (PPV) has killed boxing. There's almost little to no incentive for a boxer in a smaller nation to get into the sport as they ain't gonna get a shot at a title unless they can sell PPV.

I despair for a once epic sport. It does need a reset.

It's the same as football mate - the contest is still epic, but the money has ruined the sport.

1 hour ago, MaltRam said:

It's the same as football mate - the contest is still epic, but the money has ruined the sport.

At least the best teams still play each other in football whilst boxers can make more money without taking risky fights very rarely do you get the top fighters going head to head. I’ve just watched Hagler v Hearns on sky boxing classics what a scrap that was, I remember listening to it on the radio while I was on a night shift at Royce’s can’t believe it was nearly 40 years ago 

8 hours ago, Carnero said:

Thats mad! They can have a full cycle of PEDs before camp, micro dose all the way through camp and still test negative on fight night! Dangerous game there playing! Specially if one is using PEDs and there opponent aint!

Just watched the public workouts of Fury and Ngannou. Jesus. Pay for that? If they were fighting on my yard I'd shut the curtains.

Fury will come in a stone overweight, prop him up for a few rounds and take him out at will if he feels like it. 

It's like matching Real Madrid against Leicester Tigers at football. Insane.

On 26/10/2023 at 22:23, MaltRam said:

Just watched the public workouts of Fury and Ngannou. Jesus. Pay for that? If they were fighting on my yard I'd shut the curtains.

Fury will come in a stone overweight, prop him up for a few rounds and take him out at will if he feels like it. 

The fight should be sponsored by Mattel with Barbie waving the round cards. 
Then I might take it seriously 😊

On 26/10/2023 at 22:23, MaltRam said:

Really?

Absolute travesty from the judges 

Edited by sage

I was amazed how well Ngannou took it, I'd be screaming the halls down. If he got a 10-8 round (which is the only thing we know for certain) how did one judge have Fury three rounds ahead on the cards? Fury looked completely sluggish and almost uninterested. Ngannou started well but looked gassed after about seven - but Fury was unable to press him. 

Farce of a decision. Farce of a display from Fury.

10 minutes ago, BaaLocks said:

I was amazed how well Ngannou took it, I'd be screaming the halls down. If he got a 10-8 round (which is the only thing we know for certain) how did one judge have Fury three rounds ahead on the cards? Fury looked completely sluggish and almost uninterested. Ngannou started well but looked gassed after about seven - but Fury was unable to press him. 

Farce of a decision. Farce of a display from Fury.

Ngannou had nothing to gain from the actual result. It wasn’t sanctioned as a title fight by the WBC, no rematch clause. He was a winner before stepping in the ring with the money he made.

His performance and pride would have been more important than the actual result.

A different prospect to when a 30-year-old Venezuelan with no money fights for a world title, clearly wins, and yet is handed a judges L because he isn’t where the money is. A decision like that is life-changing.

This wasn’t for Ngannou. He won the moment the deal was made.