Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FA Cup.

Anyone who says anything else is short-sighted.

We won the FA Cup in 1946 but can anyone tell me about any of our promotions into the first division before 1968-69? History doesn't remember them.

And aside from that, I wouldn't want to give Sky the satisfaction of saying "promotion" either.

As a club it has to be promotion.

Good players will come to a PL side, not a side who won the FA Cup in the previous year. We'd most likely lose McClaren and possibly some key players. Failing to go up and just winning an FA Cup would almost certainly see him poached, and it would be a good way for him to leave too.

Although an FA Cup win would be fantastic I'm looking at the hypothetical question in a way that benefits us as a club long term instead of me personally at a single moment.

Look at Stoke, promotion then FA Cup final. Okay they lost it but as a club they're in a stable position and them reaching another cup final wouldn't be a massive shock.

I'm torn. And I wrote out the two poll options but they didn't appear? Grrrr.

If we win the FA Cup and qualify for Europe, might we not keep McClaren and the key players? Despite a decent historic FA Cup record, in my lifetime there's only been the one semifinal, when we were favourites for the double and defeat pretty much destroyed the club. Let's go down in history and put something in the trophy cabinet for the first time in four decades!

For the long term prestige of the club, FA Cup. Has to be. Something we'd see once and probably never see again in our lifetime. The Cup might have diminished in worth a bit over the years but it's still the FA Cup.

But that's the problem. Everyone is talking long term legacy. But all history will say is that we were the little championship team who could. 'Remember when Derby won the cup, whatever happened to them anyway'?

If we don't get promoted this season, I really fear for us maintaining our momentum next year. Whereas if we get promoted this year, I think we really have it in us to become an established premier league team, for who regular cup runs and maybe a win or two would not be out if the question.

Not mention, a European campaign next season might screw us like it has done for Wigan.

I'd take glorious defeat in the final. Promotion. Establish ourselves in the premier league next season. And then go for the lot the season after that.

To put it another way, it would be an amazing day out if we won the cup. But it was an amazing day out when we beat WBA at wembley. Was the long term legacy of that day really worth that one good day though?

Whereas losing at Wembley in summer was a crushing disappointment, but providing we get promoted this season, the ultimate legacy of that loss could be much more positive than the one we won.

Archived